Microsoft prices Zune at $249.99; Due out in November
Microsoft has finally announced pricing and a release date for its much-hyped Zune media player. The company said it will charge $249.99 for the device—essentially the same as Apple’s 30GB iPod, which retails for $249. Microsoft will launch both the Zune and its companion digital music service on November 14th. The Zune music service will charge 99 cents for individual songs and $14.99 per month for a subscription service. Scott Erickson, senior director of product management for Zune, admitted that the Zune player will not make money for Microsoft immediately. “In total we won’t be making a profit this year, but we will of course work toward becoming a profitable business in the future,” he said.
- Apple in talks to acquire Pinterest rival The Fancy?
- Google intros Nexus 7, Nexus Q as iPad, Apple TV rivals
- Samsung releases app to ease iOS to Galaxy transition
- Apple, Time reach agreement on magazine sales
- Microsoft unveils Xbox SmartGlass; links console to iPad, iPhone
- New HTC handsets face import delay due to Apple
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple reverses course on iOS calculator widgets
- Tim Cook: ‘I’m proud to be gay’
- AT&T and Verizon tracking customer web activity
- iOS updates causing Mophie Juice Pack Air compatibility problems?
- FTC launches complaint against AT&T over unlimited data throttling policies
- Apple VP Joswiak testy at Code/Mobile event
- Cook discusses Apple Pay, Watch, iPod classic at WSJD Live
- Apple TV adds Hallmark’s Feeln and A&E’s FYI channels
- Fitbit announces Charge, Charge HR + Surge health and fitness trackers
- Apple looking to expand NFC use beyond Apple Pay
- Rokform Crystal v3 for iPhone 6
- Uniq Bodycon, LifePro, and Helio for iPhone 6 + Bodycon for iPhone 6 Plus
- Trident Case Aegis, Cyclops, Kraken A.M.S. + Perseus for iPhone 6
- Incipio Stowaway Advance for iPhone 6 Plus
- Apple iPad Air 2 Smart Case
- Apple iPad mini 3
- Alpine Headphones
- Apple iPad Air 2
- Speck MightyShell for iPhone 6
- Misfit Flash Fitness + Sleep Monitor
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0