Microsoft VP: We’re ready to work with Apple on Xbox 360 | iLounge News

Microsoft VP: We’re ready to work with Apple on Xbox 360

In an in-depth interview with IGN, Microsoft’s Corporate Vice President and XNA Chief Architect J Allard said that he hopes to work more closely with competing companies such as Apple when it comes to making their devices compatible with the Xbox 360.

“I’m pro consumer on this one to the end,” says Allard. “Anybody in my company who thought this was a bad idea to plug in Sony or Apple devices into this thing, I ended that conversation pretty quickly. This is the right thing to do for consumers. Once they invest $500 in their digital media library, you can’t ask them to go buy a 360 music player and a 360 digital camera, and a 360…NO! They got their stuff. They’re going to want to plug it in. We’re going to be open here, guys. And if anything, I wish we could be more cooperative with the other companies that are doing those things. And if Sony or Apple were to call me up and say, ‘Hey, we want to some special things with the 360,’ I’m on it. I think it would not be in anybody’s interest to say, we’re not going to work with 360. It’s good for them, it’s good for us, and it’s good for consumers.”

« Monster’s SuperDiscs feature HD music files for iPod

eXopod debuts aluminum iPod nano case »

Comments

Pretty cool. If only they had iTunes on the 360. That would be pretty neat, maybe not all that usefull but still pretty neat.

Posted by Allen on October 24, 2005 at 11:25 AM (PDT)

XBox Rocks!

But, I don’t know if I see the big picture like Microsoft does…I just want a kick butt gaming machine.  I don’t know that I want to bother running my iPod through the XBox…why would I want to complicate the iPod when it’s so simple to use?

The real mistake Microsoft made is that the XBox should come with a 100, 200, maybe even a 500gb hard drive instead of the puny 20gb it’s gonna ship with.  That would’ve made the XBox a real media hub.  I bet the first hack people talk about is swapping out your XBox hard drive when the 360 launches.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on October 24, 2005 at 11:34 AM (PDT)

Really, your prosumer? Then whatthe heck is all this “core system crap”  I was starting to lean towards the xbox after being a Playstation user al my life, but when i found out they wern’t making the hard drive standard, then the xbox 360 just became a waker PS3 to me.  Now it’s only advantage to the PS3 is the Live thingy, which sony is supposed to be coppying any way.  This rant is probalby more suited to a Video Game website, but if you go any where online and here gamers opinons on this core system crap you’ll see why it’s jsut adacious that this guy say he is “Prosumer all the way”

Posted by ogvor on October 24, 2005 at 3:18 PM (PDT)

Just upgrade the harddrive if your worried about the lack of size. My currnet xbox has a 120gb harddrive in it, and it has become a entertainment hub in my house, playing all my movies and music etc. This is what the new xbox wishes to become.

I think its a good attitude from Xbox about this. They’d be no way sony would ever say something like this.

Posted by Rob on October 24, 2005 at 3:22 PM (PDT)

The 360 is meant to be a media hub, but like a USB hub, it needs a computer upstream to store the massive media files. If you DO get the optional hard drive, then you can store some of your media files locally, but once you have that other machine, it’ll always be more economically to have stuff stored there.

The 360 is limited in HDD size by the form factor, since 2.5” drives are only ~100GB now. It may always be cheaper to use an external USB drive (but I don’t know if they’re supported).

And the reason to have your iPod supported is so that you can listen to your playlists during gameplay, which I think is a cool feature. And iTunes on the 360 would ROCK!

Go J!

Posted by Beej on October 24, 2005 at 4:05 PM (PDT)

“I’m pro consumer on this one to the end,? says Allard.”

...so long as it benefits the MS bottom-line. Otherwise, hasta la vista, baby!

Basically, they’re out to do kung-fu on the iTunes DRM. Embrace, extend, extinguish. Then, enjoy your MS-supplied overarching DRM scheme, suckas.

Posted by FF on October 24, 2005 at 4:25 PM (PDT)

I can’t believe no one sees the hidden message here.  It has nothing to do with M$ wanting to support the iPod, it has EVERYTHING to do with sending the message that Apple and its iPod are a closed system, AND more importantly that M$ is not - that’s not reality, they are both closed of course, but that’s the message they are trying to send.  We’re not going to make people go out and buy a 360 media player, ala if you use iTunes Apple will make you go out and buy an iPod.  It’s a jab, nothing more.

Posted by Stevie Stets on October 24, 2005 at 7:04 PM (PDT)

In addition, M$oft knows that Apple is partnering with Sony, and they probably think it has a lot to do with the PS3.  When PS3 debuts, and has some sort of compatability with the iPod, they don’t want to look like the outsiders.  They’re trying to tap into that 30 million strong iPod user-base.
Like FF said, Microsoft isn’t so concerned about the consumer on this one.  They’re just afraid they might lose revenue to the PS3.

Posted by JBest on October 24, 2005 at 7:06 PM (PDT)

Isn’t it a sign of the Apocolypse when Microsoft and Apple start working together? Oh God, he’s lumping Sony in there too.

Save us, Nintendo!

Posted by Hrothgar on October 24, 2005 at 7:12 PM (PDT)

nah, I say it’s the other way around. Come to Apple Billy boy and we’ll show u how to do cool things.

Posted by digi9 on October 24, 2005 at 7:14 PM (PDT)

MSFT, just give me a bloody killer system to go gaming on; THAT’S what I put my money down for, not another outlet for my iPods.  This media hub lip service to the iPod is pathetic.  Besides, isn’t that what your stupid Media XP is for, anyways?

Posted by flatline response on October 24, 2005 at 9:27 PM (PDT)

Flatline-

I’m with you, buddy.  I just want a gaming powerhouse.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on October 24, 2005 at 11:14 PM (PDT)

If you can’t beat ‘em, Join ‘em

Posted by Robbie on October 25, 2005 at 9:50 AM (PDT)

I’m running with flatline and madness on this one. It doesn’t matter who makes what as long as its done well and serves my needs.

Could there be a MacMicro in the works? MacTel, MacGM, MacFord? What next?

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on October 25, 2005 at 12:31 PM (PDT)

iTunes on the 360 ...  that will be one cold day in hell.  While this would be a giant leap ahead for Apple, Microsoft would be admitting that the iPod is the dominant player.

Posted by ender78 on October 25, 2005 at 1:31 PM (PDT)

Why are these crappy companies trying to combine their crap with everyone elses?  Why doesn’t MS join forces with Sparkomatic or other fine companies like Radio Shack (Optimus) and put out some major cockie?

Posted by Gully Neck on October 26, 2005 at 10:38 AM (PDT)