Microsoft Zune ad claims $30,000 cost to fill iPod | iLounge News

Microsoft Zune ad claims $30,000 cost to fill iPod

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, May 12, 2009
News Categories: iPod

Microsoft has posted a new Zune advertisement to YouTube, comparing the cost of the company’s Zune Pass subscription service to iTunes. Starring “Certified Financial Planner” Wes Moss, the ad goes on to suggest that it costs $30,000 to fill an iPod—with a black iPod classic shown as an example—while it costs only $15 a month to fill a Zune using the Zune Pass service. As the latest attempt by Microsoft to erode public interest in Apple’s hardware, the ad deliberately ignores the fact that music from users’ existing CD libraries can be loaded onto either company’s device at varying bitrates, but does underscore Apple’s continued lack of a subscription-based listening option for iTunes users. Continue reading to view the full advertisement.

« SlingPlayer for iPhone hitting App Store for $30

Substrata offers handmade wooden case for iPhone 3G »

Comments

lol .. LOL .. LLOOLL ... Microsoft is losing their heads because of APPLE’s Success!  LOL,.. after all these Windows Vista errors I’m dealing with at work, this made my day !!

Posted by dennis on May 12, 2009 at 10:04 AM (PDT)

ridiculous.

Posted by c on May 12, 2009 at 10:27 AM (PDT)

After the laptop hunters ads (which I found to represent my experience almost exactly) I find this one a little off the mark. It’s not as thought anyone “using iTunes” can heed his advice, thanks to DRM and US only availability.

Posted by Fanman on May 12, 2009 at 10:31 AM (PDT)

ZunePass sounds good. Will it work with my iPod? wink

Posted by orgel in Falls Church, VA on May 12, 2009 at 10:49 AM (PDT)

Hasn’t someone tried to make this same claim before?  I swear I remember some compnay going this way before in a commercial years ago; Napster? Real? Rhapsody?  Can’t remember…

Posted by sting7k on May 12, 2009 at 11:14 AM (PDT)

Funny, especially since I’ve pwned an iPod since 2003, and have paid nothing for music (read 0/zip/ zilch) except for CD purchases to fill the device.

Posted by Peterphan on May 12, 2009 at 12:01 PM (PDT)

Does it say how much it costs to keep your Zune full by renewing your subscription so your music won’t go away?

Do they explain how anyone ever put music on an iPod before the iTunes Store existed?

Yeah, I didn’t think so.

Posted by ckd on May 12, 2009 at 12:21 PM (PDT)

No one told me that when I bought this wine rack that I would need to fill it with $600 bottles of wine. The stupid thing ended up costing me a about $8,000.

Posted by ort on May 12, 2009 at 12:28 PM (PDT)

of course.  because no one buys albums, gets free tracks, uses videos, uses games, and of course, no one pirates software.  Nice try though, but your ad campaigns are the same as your products.  No thanks!

Posted by Dan on May 12, 2009 at 2:27 PM (PDT)

Right on, Dan.
If it actually cost $30,000 to fill an iPod most of the people I know would be homeless, hungry, and bankrupt… at least they’d have their movies, music, and games though.

Posted by Cereal in Okinawa Japan on May 12, 2009 at 4:06 PM (PDT)

Had an epiphany.

Economic Crisis=iTunes

Posted by Cereal in Okinawa Japan on May 12, 2009 at 5:19 PM (PDT)

Zune?  Are they still trying to see those things?

Posted by TulsaGent in Tulsa, OK, USA on May 12, 2009 at 9:29 PM (PDT)

Doesn’t this just mean the iPod has a superior amount of storage capacity? wink

Posted by praetorian on May 12, 2009 at 11:14 PM (PDT)

Pathetic, lame attempt to obfuscate the issue by Microsissy.

HOWEVER, it does go to show just how much money each of us would theoretically need, were there not “alternate” means to fill our iPods.

$30,000? Sounds about right to me, if I added up all my videos, songs, and games. Frightening.

Posted by Fe1 on May 12, 2009 at 11:17 PM (PDT)

I feel like the point has been completely missed here.

Simply put - if you download a lot of music, then it’s absolutely worth paying $15/month for unlimited downloads as compared to $0.99 (or more in some cases) for each song.

Theoretically, I could spend $15 in one month and buy 100 songs as compared to the $100 it would cost me on iTunes.

They are obviously basing this on downloading your music which many people do these days…

Posted by b real on May 13, 2009 at 8:54 AM (PDT)

So lemme get this straight…
It costs $30,000 to own all the music on your iPod or you can rent all the music on your Zune for $15 a month?! I’d say in the long run renting is throwing away money as you’ll have nothing once you stop renting apart from your 10 free songs a month(which actually cost you $1.50 each).

Posted by oReally on May 13, 2009 at 9:25 AM (PDT)

I retract my previous comment, I must have been sleeping when I posted it…

Posted by b real on May 13, 2009 at 1:03 PM (PDT)

While their math is a bit bunk (at current iTunes plus bitrates you’d be lucky to get 15,000 tracks on a 120GB iPod), the general idea is not.

IF you really pay for all your music, there is simply no argument about it financially: subscriptions, even over a lifetime, are considerably cheaper. This has never been a debatable issue and anyone who approaches it from that angle is mathematically challenged (e.g. oReally who seems to, at least for the sake of his counter argument, accept the $30,000 figure but still claims that the sub fee would be throwing your money away… except that it takes 166 years of subscribing to reach $30,000. I don’t know about anyone else, but I won’t be here in 166 years, and I’m also willing to bet anyone who will that you’ll be able to amass a lot more music in those 166 years of unlimited downloading than the apocryphal one $30,000 120GB player will hold wink.

The reality is that, in the collective, people of all player brands are filling their players with so-called stolen music even when they do buy a lot of it, which is the real reason the Microsoft ad comes off as so ill-conceived. If they really want to sell people on the Zune pass, they need to be hammering home the idea that you get all the music you’re currently “stealing” on demand in high quality for the price of one album per month and that you’re guaranteed 10 tracks DRM free each and every month even if you later choose to stop the sub with them.

There are problems with the current sub models, but the financial aspect is simply not among them.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on May 13, 2009 at 2:14 PM (PDT)

Well, Microsoft is right in that it does cost $30,000 to fill a (fairly big) iPod. Since the largest size drive models hold 30,000 songs x 99 cents, that is around $30,000. But that’s not a real world example though as no one starts off with zero media and proceeds to buy 30,000 songs all at once.

Posted by Dale on May 14, 2009 at 6:20 AM (PDT)

sting7k was right, Napster already tried this years ago. What a load of BS. Both services have their advantages and disadvantages, just use whatever you prefer.

Posted by Cad on May 14, 2009 at 11:38 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >