Microsoft caught off-guard by new iPod pricing | iLounge News

Microsoft caught off-guard by new iPod pricing

Apple’s pricing on the updated fifth-generation iPods has caused Microsoft to rethink the price point for its Zune media player, according to one analyst. “Microsoft formally announced its Zune portable media player, with specs in-line with Toshiba FCC filings. However, pricing and timing were not revealed likely because our sources indicate that Apple’s aggressive pricing at $249 for its new 30GB iPod took Microsoft by surprise,” American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu said in a research note today. “We believe Microsoft is re-thinking its pricing strategy amid potential wider losses to stay competitive in the marketplace. We remain underwhelmed with the much-hyped Zune, which is essentially a repackaged Toshiba Gigabeat, with limited differentiation vs. existing Windows Media devices.” Microsoft was widely expected to announce a $299 retail price this week, but following Apple’s price cut on Tuesday on the 30GB iPod, the company declined to offer pricing or a release date.

« Microsoft, SanDisk overstating accessory support

Speck debuts leather cases for 2G iPod nano »

Comments

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
(snort)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Posted by ahMEmon on September 15, 2006 at 2:01 PM (PDT)

HA-HA

Posted by Nelson Muntz on September 15, 2006 at 3:00 PM (PDT)

Along with rethinking the price, maybe Microsoft should rethink launching the Zune.

Posted by Mr. Anderson on September 15, 2006 at 3:41 PM (PDT)

I didn’t even have any clue what a Zune might be until apple fans started making fun of it.. is this entertaining criticism actually working in Microsoft’s favour by making everyone aware that they’re even launching this thing?

Posted by Jenna Fox on September 15, 2006 at 4:48 PM (PDT)

I’m really not sure what everyone’s so amused about, if it weren’t for the fact that there’s no 80GB model and WMP is more complicated then I’m used to I’d definitely pick this up over the iPod. I think the display and overall design looks much nicer then the iPod. Maybe if the price is low enough I won’t be able to pass it up. I don’t really know what I’d do with 80GBs anyways. And I’m sure I could learn to use WMP with a little effort.

And I think iLounge should change the way you post comments as the little code I have to type in only shows up about half the time, and I usually don’t notice until after I’ve written my post.

Posted by rainking187 on September 15, 2006 at 5:20 PM (PDT)

>I think the display and overall
>design looks much nicer then the
>iPod.

Larger displays are always welcome, but that is where any advantage ends. And when the next gen ipod comes out, probably only months away, I suspect this Zune will look even sadder.

Posted by Countach on September 15, 2006 at 7:52 PM (PDT)

Countach, the display is “larger” but, it’s the same 320x240 that the iPod has, just stretched.  So the zune doesn’t even have that in it’s favor.

Posted by MatrixSJD on September 16, 2006 at 1:52 AM (PDT)

And of course, good luck to the Mac users in connecting the Zune to their computer and getting a decent sync.

Posted by Wilder_K_Wight on September 16, 2006 at 3:41 PM (PDT)

Larger screen means more battery drain. Why is this better for those of us who like music?

My general impression of the zune’s styling with its little taupe border around the screen is that it looks like high tech futuristic technology from a 1970s movie. Which is, well, cool.

Posted by threemilechild on September 17, 2006 at 7:20 AM (PDT)

The Zune will have worse battery life for music than the iPod at launch, on top of being bigger and chunkier.

Posted by LaughingMan on September 17, 2006 at 10:48 AM (PDT)

I don’t have anything to say about the article except that this Shaw Wu guy is an idito and is rarely right. It’s gotten to the point where when I read his name i giggle… as I did 1 minute ago.

Posted by JeremytheIndian on September 18, 2006 at 7:07 AM (PDT)

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
(snort)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH”

Well if they put the damn things in bubblegum machines for a quarter I still wouldn’t want one and that’s no joke. It looks like there’s a whole cross-section of musicians ready to boycott Zune! According to this article ( http://www.zuneinsider.com/2006/09/answers_to_some.html ), Zune DRMs EVERYthing you put into it, including your own music!! Anyone who’s aware of Creative Commons licenses knows that this explicitly BREAKS the license, thus leaving MS open to litigation ASIDE from pissing off said artists. Dumb move.

Posted by Laer on September 18, 2006 at 8:27 AM (PDT)

Larger screen does not necessarily mean a bigger power drain..digital camera manufacturers consistently increase display sizes and viewing intensities while increasing battery life.

A bigger screen would be nice.  However I don’t know how anybody could claim the overall design of the Zune was better.  The plastic case is pretty gaudy looking, the controls are small, poorly placed (unless you like thumb cramps) and apparently dodgy, and the UI is all flash and no pan.  It had one nice feature (displaying the letter you’re fast scrolling past) which Apple has already embraced and extended.

Finally, if you think the Creative Commons license is enforceable in this case, you are dumb.  If it were enforceable, this would mean you could never encrypt, transfer over any caching device (or for god’s sake, even DELETE) a Creative Commons-licensed media file that you received for your own consumption.  A Zune is not a device for copy files.  Thus it cannot violate copyleft.

Posted by dasmegabyte on September 18, 2006 at 4:18 PM (PDT)

This comes right off the Creative Commons FAQ page:

Q: What happens if someone tries to protect a CC-licensed work with digital rights management (DRM) tools?

A: If a person uses DRM tools to restrict any of the rights granted in the license, that person violates the license. All of our licenses prohibit licensees from “distributing the Work with any technological measures that control access or use of the Work in a manner inconsistent with the terms of this License Agreement.”

So what were you talking about? Oh, nevermind…

Posted by Laer on September 19, 2006 at 12:47 AM (PDT)