Migo Personal for iPod announced | iLounge News

Migo Personal for iPod announced

Migo Personal for iPod transforms the popular MP3 player into more than a mobile jukebox. It allows users to harness their personalized computer settings on any PC, providing the most productive and comfortable environment possible. The Migo software stores Outlook® email, calendar and contacts. Internet Explorer favorites and browsing history as well as data files, presentations and much more on the iPod’s hard drive.

Migo Personal for iPod is expected to begin shipping in November for an estimated price of $99.95 with an introductory limited-time $30.00 rebate offer.

« Toasted iPod

Windows: euPOD PRO 1.6 released »

Comments

Before anyone starts yelling about the price, you should all watch this demo… this is actually a really cool piece of software:

I believe there were rumors that Apple was designing something like this (called “Home on iPod”), but it never really materialized.  Now PC users have it before we do.  :-D

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on October 5, 2004 at 11:47 AM (CDT)

simply amazing

Posted by Brayeta on October 5, 2004 at 11:55 AM (CDT)

Extremely impressive! That demo really has me sold (and yes, I was one of the people who was about to start yelling about the price)

Do any other companies make software like this? I’m also wondering if the software has to be deisgned specifically for the ipod or is that just a selling point.

Posted by Sam on October 5, 2004 at 12:29 PM (CDT)

Cool idea, but I think it needs a little work.  I’ll wait for a later generation of the program…or better yet, I’ll wait until these features are integrated directly into Windows, or iTunes.

Posted by Talking Madness on October 5, 2004 at 2:08 PM (CDT)

I see some of the functionality of this program but, to me, it seems like $100 out the window.  It is nice if you want to look at your e-mails at home and browse the internet with your favorites, but that is it.  Other than that it acts no different that the current USB drives.  I can already add my favorites and e-mails to my current USB drive and iPod.  Plus, Outlook absolutely sucks.

Posted by What is the point on October 5, 2004 at 2:55 PM (CDT)

impressive. but id like to stick with free softwares.

Posted by lol on October 5, 2004 at 4:11 PM (CDT)

Outlook: Save my office settings wizard
USB Drive: umm…
Desktop profile: If you have admin rights to do that - otherwise it’s just files anyway
$100 - PDA

Posted by Chris Matchett on October 6, 2004 at 12:36 AM (CDT)

A program similar to this has been out for awhile now: youPod (http://www.kaisakura.com/youPod/index.html) and it costs only $14.99

Posted by Mike on October 6, 2004 at 6:32 AM (CDT)

what does it have to do with the ipod?

Posted by podio on October 6, 2004 at 6:49 AM (CDT)

I work for the developer of this software, and we’ve found in the usage of our flash-drive product that people really value the convenience of being able to carry their enviroment with them.  Sure, some of the stuff can be done with a plain flash drive, but it’s very inconvenient for people who don’t know what they’re doing with all the windows settings, and manual sync of everything is a pain for anyone.  The Outlook part of it is a Godsend for people who use Outlook since you can easily carry pretty much everything you need with you.  It’s interesting to see these comments - thanks for checking out our web site.

Posted by Chris Neumann on October 6, 2004 at 9:04 AM (CDT)

youPod is for the Mac.  Migo is for Windows.

Looks like a great tool…$100 is verrrry steep, IMHO, but, let us know how you do, Chris. =)

Posted by AMG on October 6, 2004 at 10:44 AM (CDT)

Hi everyone. Thanks for the feedback. I’m one of the developers that worked to bring you Migo Personal for iPod.  Just wanted to add that one thing that differentiates Migo on either the iPod or USB drive is that it recreates the experience of using your computer wherever you go.  When you open Internet Explorer, you see: your favorites, your history, cookies, home page, etc.  Same goes with Outlook, your desktop and My Documents.

Posted by Brett Levine in San Francisco on October 6, 2004 at 4:53 PM (CDT)

What if the computer doesn’t have Outlook?

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on October 6, 2004 at 11:02 PM (CDT)

Wow, this is cool, no doubt. Very clean, great ease of use…nice work guys…

I am curious as Galley, does it rely on other computer to have OL also? Also in an iPod does the pocketlogin SW have to sit in the root of the iPod or can it be in a separate folder? Doesn’t mention if I can just reformat the USB drive so in iPod if I delete the pocketlogin SW or its folder do I have to buy it again or have some way to recover or start new/reset etc?

Now if it can optionally save the calendar in vCal format in iPod; also contacts then that would really round it off…

Posted by veen on October 7, 2004 at 1:50 AM (CDT)

Sorry but the price DOES seem steep to me.

I use Folders Synchronizer on my Mac and can synchronize any files or folders I like onto my iPod—in target disk mode.  FS is shareware—I think I paid $30 for it.

The advantage for FS is that you can use it to synch multiple drives to your Mac, e.g. your desktop to both your laptop and your iPod.

Posted by Woody on October 7, 2004 at 2:01 AM (CDT)

Get a laptop for the office.

Posted by Better solution on October 7, 2004 at 5:12 PM (CDT)