‘Military-like’ protective case for iPods announced | iLounge News

‘Military-like’ protective case for iPods announced

pic The Casemandu is a new $49.95 iPod case that’s waterproof, dust-proof and shock-proof. Made of strong polycarbonate, it features a precision-routed foam insert, and is available in white, black, pink, blue and green for both iPods and iPod minis. The Casemandu will ship on March 1.

“It’s the same foam used by elite military units and NASA to protect the most sensitive equipment in their inventories,” said Ed Loughran, who created the Casemandu with partner Tim Adams. “We looked around for a solution like the Casemandu case and we couldn’t find one, so we invented it,” Loughran said. “It’s the only case on the market that combines all the protection, organization and storage capacity in one nearly indestructible unit.”

« Custom made machined aluminum iPod shuffle case

Mix: Apple traffic, Duke, Soda can cradle, Comedy Festival »

Comments

If only they made ones that held just the ipod and could fit in your pocket, I would get that.

Posted by M Bargo in Chicago, IL on February 8, 2005 at 2:46 PM (CST)

can you say a $20 pelican case with $1 worth of foam marked up to $50…total waste

Posted by theotherskip on February 8, 2005 at 3:11 PM (CST)

looks like an OtterBox

Posted by Willis S. in DC on February 8, 2005 at 3:26 PM (CST)

What’s the point of this case? Who the heck carries that many accessories with their iPod?

It offers no protection when I need to _use_ my iPod.

Posted by JPack on February 9, 2005 at 1:33 AM (CST)

you could just carry around a laptop with all your music on it while we’re looking a cases that big :S

Posted by unoriginal on February 9, 2005 at 6:59 AM (CST)

Actually, it is a very, very nice case.  It seems great for those who camp or travel and need maximum protection, but I agree with previous poster, we/I need a similar type protective case that can fit in, or nearly fit in the pocket.  That type of case should have a good belt clip and a headphone access hole.

My Mareware convertable encased iPod just recently fell from my belt clip onto concrete (d’oh!) as I was washing my car.  The dreaded file folder icon indicated my hardrive is now shot!

We need a better case.

Posted by Obadiah on February 9, 2005 at 10:40 AM (CST)

I think I have a better case.

“pelican 1010 micro case series”

it is not made for the ipod, but it looks like it is. It is like the case shown above, except smaller and rubber instead of foam. It is clear and yellow. With an iSkin exo2 (other silicone cases will work too), it is an almost perfect size for the ipod. It is a bit too tall to house the ipod perfectly, but this leaves room for earbuds, remote, etc. I cant listen to music through this case, but I have an idea of how to do it:
1. drill hole in case (close to headphone port on ipod)

2. pull headphones through hole, so the jack is inside the case and the earpieces are outside the case.

3. NOTE: these headphones will stay permanently attached to case, so if you are going to do this, probably buy a second set, or use an old pair.
    With the headphones still half in and half out of the hole you drilled, pour some waterproof glue? in and around the hole. I dont really know what to use for this step, but you might be able to find something at a marine supply store. This glue will secure the headphones and close up the hole you made, hopefully creating the unit waterproof. (if this step works out, the ipod will stay waterproof)

here are some pics (they are supposed to be up within a few hours of this post)
the password is: ipodlounge

Posted by Veasey in Cambridge, MA on February 9, 2005 at 7:38 PM (CST)

sry, forgot to post the link to the pics: http://gallery138849.fotopic.net/c427048.html

Posted by Veasey in Cambridge, MA on February 9, 2005 at 7:38 PM (CST)

I suppose it might be great to stick it in a HUMMER and “really go for it” and actually drive in the rain….  GASP!

Posted by kbrening on February 11, 2005 at 9:19 PM (CST)