Mini iPods not likely | iLounge News

Mini iPods not likely

“Don’t count on seeing dramatically smaller or cheaper iPod music players in the new year, despite Internet rumors that Apple Computer will announce them next week in San Francisco.

For Apple CEO Steve Jobs to introduce such a product during his speech Tuesday at Macworld Conference & Expo, Apple would have to either unveil a breakthrough hard drive technology, begin selling iPods based on the same flash memory storage cards that many digital cameras use, or adopt a new small drive made by Cornice.”

« Refurbished iPod 5GB for $169

CNET: Would $100 iPod compete or cannibalize? »

Comments

Whether the rumor is true or not, the author should at least do some more research.

2 and 4GB 1” hard drives from Hitachi http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/micro/micro3k4.htm

Posted by Phil on December 30, 2003 at 11:10 PM (CST)

Additionally, Toshiba is introducing their 1” Hard Drives at CES in January… Since Apple works directly with Toshiba with their small 1.8” hard drives, it is possible (and likely) that they had early access to these new drives if it is indeed true.
The sizes of these drives is in line with mini iPod speculation.

Posted by KevboY2K on December 30, 2003 at 11:17 PM (CST)

I think the author is correct; the toshiba-drives go into production in 2005 AFAIK, and are too expensive anyway to put into a $100,- player.

Posted by dura on December 31, 2003 at 1:46 AM (CST)

Whether the mini iPod comes to be or not (I’d say the odds are only 50/50) there will not be a $100 2GB model regardless.  Maybe an entry model at $150, but not at $100.  People don’t seem to be putting two and two together here with a lot of these rumors.  A flash based iPod (which there is no way it will be) would cost almost as much to manufacture as the current 10GB model does, so there is no way they will sell them for $100.  And if it’s a mini HD based iPod, there still isn’t any way Apple could make the kind of profit margins they like by selling it for $100.  Oh well, we only have 6 days till we find out for sure, but I think the author of this article is definitely on to something here.  I wouldn’t be surprised if the only announcement next week was a $50 across the board price drop on the current models (which by the way would still be excellent news)...

Posted by David on December 31, 2003 at 6:21 AM (CST)

The San Jose Mercury News is renowned for their inaccurate reporting on subjects such as this one. I especially like the bit abou… “Apple would have to either unveil a breakthrough hard drive technology, begin selling iPods based on the same flash memory storage cards that many digital cameras use, or adopt a new small drive made by Cornice. ...Apple does not typically focus its engineering efforts on hard drives.”

As has been pointed out by the previous comments on this article, the author failed to do even cursory research on the matter beyond attempting to disprove the basic rumor that is floating around.

I’m amazed that this subject is getting so much press.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on December 31, 2003 at 7:17 AM (CST)

I’ve followed Apple rumors for a while and when there are so many different sources all claiming the exact same thing, its usually true.

The article mentions other past false rumors. None of those were nearly as well supported as the mini iPod rumor.

Maybe the author just bought a new iPod and is upset that new ones might be out already!

Posted by MikeM on December 31, 2003 at 7:57 AM (CST)

It would be in Apples best interest to introduce a flash memory based iPod.

Think about it, you’re not a huge music person, you maybe have 20 CD’s. You want to carry a small amount of your music around. More importantly, you find that iTunes Music Store is the only real download music store out there. You have a spouce who has an iPod and want to be able to listen to the music they buy without having to burn a CD then re-rip the songs…

You currently only have one choice, buy a $300 iPod yourself.

A 256Meg flash memory iPod would allow folks to listen to iTMS songs and have the great user interface that iPods are known for.

Even though I have a 40GB iPod, I am still hoping for a low end iPod so that my wife can enjoy the music we have bought for her without having to use a regular CD player.

Posted by Dave Metzener in Manchester, MO USA on December 31, 2003 at 8:55 AM (CST)

Phhht, I don’t think Apple will introduce anything with removable media- I think a mini-hard drive is a good strategic move, allowing them to cover the entire market. I, as I’ve stated in the other discussions am looking forward to the colored iPods, which will certainly be very very cool. I don’t believe the article mentions that rumor (too lazy to read it).

Posted by Sam on December 31, 2003 at 11:24 AM (CST)

I can to this site on curiosity. I was told on another forum that mini Ipods were gonna be announced on 1/6/04, but apparently, it’s not going to happen. I was excited, on owning a cheap ipod, because I have nowhere near 10gigs of music, etc; unless I start downloading off Kazaa and such. As I see it, its to buy an afforable player and legitimately get the music, but I will NEVER spend $400 on a player and even more $$$ on music (at the rate of 99 cents a song).

(yeah, im against ‘file sharing’)

Posted by Kevin S on December 31, 2003 at 2:20 PM (CST)

My guess is that it will be a removable flash based device, capable of 1G+ capacities.

Posted by Albert on December 31, 2003 at 4:09 PM (CST)

Typical “MURKY” News article. One would think that since they are the largest so-called news paper in Silicon Valley, they could find and hire more knowlegable reporters! However, I guess it doesn’t matter since they are STRONGLY AFFLIATED with MSN, MSNBC and thus Microsoft….No BIAS THERE! “-)

Posted by Glenn Harper on December 31, 2003 at 6:06 PM (CST)

While the rumors are everywhere, they are all quoting each other as sources. THe only thing one should take away from all this hype is that the iPod is hot and the media are falling over themselves reporting on it.

The rumor consensus seems to be that MWSF will be primarily music based regarding announcements. I expect iTMS announced for a number of countries, new version of iTunes, maybe some new accessories and one new iPod model priced at around $200. The notion that Apple will release a $99 iPod is just ludicrous.

Posted by rdowns in NYC on January 1, 2004 at 7:25 AM (CST)

My bet is none of these so called mini-Pods will materialised !!!  Imagine selling one at the price of US$100, the profit margin would be to freaking low for Apple to sustain, UNLESS they sell millions of them ...  From what I see - MiniPod - NO WAY !  Colour iPod casing - Most Likely.

Posted by Poddy in Love in Singapore on January 1, 2004 at 6:33 PM (CST)