Mini iPods to use new Cornice 2GB hard drive? | iLounge News

Mini iPods to use new Cornice 2GB hard drive?

MacMinute reports - “Cornice, a company specializing in compact, high capacity storage, today introduced (PDF) the 2GB Cornice Storage Element, a tiny hard drive for use in consumer electronics, portable devices, and possibly the rumored Mini iPods. The company previously offered a 1.5GB drive. ‘The 2GB Storage Element will allow electronics device manufacturers to build new pocket-able products that store more music, video, and pictures, as well as more office productivity files such as presentations and word processing documents.’ The 2GB Storage Element is available to manufacturers for US$70 per unit in quantities of 100,000 per year.”

« RadTech Announces PodSleevz

iPod ads “do a terrific job of seducing and selling” »

Comments

I love 松たか子!

Posted by Steve Jobs on January 5, 2004 at 11:13 AM (CST)

mmmm…, interesting but I don’t think 100,000 is enough for mini-iPod’s demand if it were released tomorrow

Posted by voodoo on January 5, 2004 at 11:16 AM (CST)

correct, 100,000 would be way to few for the mini-ipods. I assume that if apple went to them and said “i want 1,000,000 for $50 apiece” that they’d probably cut apple a deal or some sort of compromise/contract. Just a guess though. Those suggesting a mini-ipod is impossible due to price are not thinking too clearly. For the bottom of the spectrum $100 - $150 isn’t out of the question IMHO.

Posted by DimJim on January 5, 2004 at 11:27 AM (CST)

just looked though the brochure at cornice’s website and it does have compatiblity with portalplayer (current ipod chipset).  i think this IS the meduim that the minipods will have.

Posted by lilmoonee on January 5, 2004 at 12:05 PM (CST)

Imagine the disc would be replacable…..Sony would get a fit, their PSP (with a replacable 1,9 Gb Universal Media Disc) won’t be in the shops for a year!

But if it’s not replacable…2 G is about 30 CD’s, strongly depending on etc. etc. but anyway, 30 CD’s is not very much….why not buy a MD-walkman and cary some MDs with you?
We’ll see…

Posted by dura on January 5, 2004 at 12:06 PM (CST)

Regardless of anything, an MP3 player without an LCD will never sell.  To make it small enough, have the elegance of the current iPod AND have a readable LCD is the challenge.  I haven’t seen any of these rumor sites address this in a significant way.

Alternatively, I would love to see a wired remore with a small LCD….. ah dreams.

Posted by ADAM on January 5, 2004 at 12:16 PM (CST)

I agree… this just sounds ‘right.’

However, the 100,000 quantity is indeed hugely inadequate.  It is possible, though, that that number is intentionally reduced, until Apple allows them to announce a ‘partnership’ when the iPod itself is introduced.

Posted by azdude_15gb on January 5, 2004 at 12:17 PM (CST)

“The 2GB Storage Element is available to manufacturers for US$70 per unit in quantities of 100,000 per year.”

That doesn’t mean that companies can *only* buy 100,000… it means that the minimum order is 100,000 to get the $70 price.

Posted by Chimpee on January 5, 2004 at 12:25 PM (CST)

Pfht… duh.  Oops.

Posted by azdude_15gb on January 5, 2004 at 12:29 PM (CST)

I think the timing of the press release says it all.

Posted by Biff on January 5, 2004 at 1:36 PM (CST)

I think this ties the rumor all together. I think the the mini ipods are, in fact “real”. This is too much of a coincidence to not be true.

Posted by Jason Hilton on January 5, 2004 at 1:50 PM (CST)

Anyone who has an Ipod going to get one? I know I will, if just to play around with, and then give as a gift.

Tom

Posted by Thomas Davie on January 5, 2004 at 2:09 PM (CST)

Note that the press release specifically says it was “EMBARGOED UNTIL JAN 5, 2004”.

Embargoed, eh? That sounds so like Apple.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 5, 2004 at 2:12 PM (CST)

Yah, sure these 2 gb drives from cornice are great. But i thing that www.hgst.com 4 gb and 2 gb drives are better, and would make more sence than using only 2 gb. But if im not mistaken apple is using cornice drives right now so they might not switch.

Posted by Luke on January 5, 2004 at 2:18 PM (CST)

OH. sHYT,
nEVER MIND HITACHI’S 4 GB DIRVES ARE 499.OO ALONE. APPLE IS TRYING TO MAKE COST EFFEICETN IPOD.  499+150= WAY TOO MUCH FOR A 4GB DRIVE

Posted by Luke on January 5, 2004 at 2:21 PM (CST)

Thmoas..
I have a 30 giger and I fully intend on getting a miniipod if it ever come available.. this will serve as my GymPod

Posted by bababooey on January 5, 2004 at 2:44 PM (CST)

I fully intend on purchasing one as well. I currently have a 2g 10 Gig that I purchased only 3 months ago, but would gladly trade that in for a smaller device that holds less.

I only use around 6 gig for music, and the other 4 is portable hard drive space in my mind. I can be a little more selective in the music I listen to for a smaller device that (I would assume) uses less battery, and is half the cost.

In actuality I would end up selling my current Pod for the new miniPod, and I hope I made a bit of profit.

Posted by Caleb on January 5, 2004 at 3:15 PM (CST)

I have a 30Gb iPod, and I will definitely be getting one of these miniPods if they do get released. I want to separate my iTunes/Audible collection from my main iPod, which contains mostly self-ripped MP3s, most of which are synced from a Linux machine. Syncing iTunes and Audible tracks from Linux is impossible, so my iBook will be used for that.

Posted by dter on January 5, 2004 at 3:17 PM (CST)

I have a 10 GB ipod and if tommorrow they put mini ipods on the market one is already reserved m8’s !!

Posted by MuSiCrOoM in The World on January 5, 2004 at 5:20 PM (CST)

Wake up people !!!  This so called “mini-Pod” is non-existance !!!  I don’t understand why people in the net is talking like it is for real !!!  Please ...  use logic and think about it a little more.  Business wise, cost wise, technology wise, they just don’t make sense !!!!!

Posted by Poddy in Love in Singapore on January 5, 2004 at 6:43 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >