Miniot intros wooden case for 5G iPods | iLounge News

Miniot intros wooden case for 5G iPods

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, March 14, 2006
News Categories: iPod Accessories

imageMiniot has announced the release of the iWood 5G, a new version of its hand-crafted wood case for fifth-generation iPods. Available in varieties such as maple, walnut, mahogany, cherry and oak, the case is carved from a single piece of wood and features a hinging lid. It can be ordered with a monogram initial on the outside and a two-line message inside. The iWood 5G is available in two sizes to fit the 30GB iPod (€85) and the 60GB iPod (€95).

« NIH: More research needed for iPod hearing risk

Apple offers first full-length movie on iTunes (updated, price raised) »

Comments

I like I like! the only two things are: what if the wood cracks due to weather or other? and the price!

Posted by LawnBoy on March 14, 2006 at 12:25 PM (PDT)

Man that case gives me a woody.

Posted by Grump on March 14, 2006 at 12:41 PM (PDT)

...and now for your dead ipods, I present to you the iWood. For those of you who are tired of your 5G’s and want to lay them to rest in peace, these coufins are for you!!!

Posted by dead on March 14, 2006 at 1:19 PM (PDT)

Those cases are pretty nice, but shouldn’t they have at least included a screen-hole for wooden-framed video watching?  It would be like a tiny console TV.

My brother built himself a similar wooden case for his 3G using a Dremel, complete with screen and wheel holes.  Looks super.

Posted by PushButtonAction in Atlanta, GA on March 14, 2006 at 1:37 PM (PDT)

Wow. I could make those with a CNC router and a trip to Rockler (for the wood). I wouldn’t charge $110 for them. They don’t even come in Bubinga or Cocobolo.

Posted by LukeA on March 14, 2006 at 2:02 PM (PDT)

Hey what about the magnets they use to keep the lid shut. Is it possible that the affect the hard drive. Cuz i heard magnets r no good near hard drives.

Posted by Mr curious on March 15, 2006 at 2:33 AM (PDT)

Goodness me, aren’t those cases stunning, especially the Heritage Series that will cost me about $180+

I thought the Vaja was way expensive, until I saw this, and yet I will be reassured by a certificate from the president that the wood has been absolutely accurately carbon dated to 30,000 years old.

Hmm, I feel that consumer pull, or else save big bucks and get a Vaja (ugh so bloody common nowadays!)

Posted by Robert on March 15, 2006 at 8:02 AM (PDT)

Beware, I tried to return my iwood in december, shipped it, never heard from them, and I sent multiple emails to them, from 3 different emails includind my order information, using the email on their website.
Just be carefull to make the right choice, the purchase and what follows immediatly might be your only chance to contact them. This is not flaming, my order was 721 and they never answered to any of the email I sent them about my return
Lionel

Posted by lionel on March 15, 2006 at 1:48 PM (PDT)

I guess somebody got f’d by the wood.

I broke my wabi!

Posted by Sam on March 15, 2006 at 3:48 PM (PDT)

to the poster who is concerned about the magnets in the iwood potentially harming the hdd in the ipod. it’s a myth that magnets are able to harm data on a modern hdd. the only magnets able to do that are industrial lab ones (degaussers) and the ones used by govn’t agencies to wipe out chunks of data. as i recall, a strong magnet is used to actually pivot the head inside a hdd. my only concern is the lack of padding inside the iwood that could scratch the ipod. i ordered one and might have to add my own padding.

Posted by thomas on March 20, 2006 at 12:19 PM (PDT)

The communication and refund problem I mentioned in my post 6 days ago has been since entirely solved by them and in a very professional and courteous way.
Lionel

Posted by lionel on March 21, 2006 at 12:59 AM (PDT)