Mix: 3G iPhone concern, Apple patent, iPod slowdown, Bandwidth hog
The Chicago Tribune’s RedEye is expressing concern over buying iPhone accessories before the launch of the 3G model, expected later this year. “I can’t buy those headphones because I have no way of being 100 percent sure that the plug will fit into the next iPhone,” RedEye’s Scott Kleinberg writes. “And this problem isn’t just with these headphones, of course. I can’t see myself purchasing an iPod speaker or any special kind of dock. The pin connector at the bottom could change drastically between now and the 3G iPhone launch.”
An illustration found in a newly-published Apple patent filing covering the handling of “Structured Electronic Documents” on a portable device - websites, in other words - shows a “Share” feature of the Safari browser yet to appear in any iPhone software release. The feature, which is shown as accessed via a button labeled “Share” appearing in the upper-left corner of the screen when entering a URL, would allow users to send a link to the URL via email or SMS, or email the content of the page. It is unknown whether this feature will appear in a future release of the iPhone software, however, the features appear to have been dropped for practicality reasons, and Share transformed into “+” for the current-generation iPhone software. [via MacNN]
Given the iPod’s decelerating sales growth, New York Times editor Saul Hansell has written an article explaining how Apple is preparing for an iPod slump. Hansell first points to the continuing stream of revenue generated by current iPod owners in the form of music and accessories — a category which brought in $881 million for the company last quarter. This, Hansell believes, combined with the transition of the iPod from a media player into a pocketable computer like the iPod touch, along with strong iPhone and Mac sales, will help Apple overcome any decline in iPod sales it would otherwise face.
Shaw Wu, analyst with American Technology Research, recently told Fortune that the average iPhone user consumes a considerably greater amount of data bandwidth than the typical cellular device user, to the extent that it could affect Apple’s dealings with carriers. “Our sources indicate that the success of iPhone with its Safari web browser is putting strain on AT&T’s EDGE network in areas with higher user density. We have been told that iPhone users are consuming ‘well over’ 100 MB per month (compared to Blackberry around 10 MB,” Wu said. The analyst suggests that carriers will offer fewer incentives to potential iPhone customers because of the additional data burdens they place on the networks.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?