Mix: 3G multitasking, Flash, Palm, Google
According to a Twitter update from jailbreaker Will Strafach, multitasking can be enabled on the iPhone 3G by making a simple edit to a plist document. Strafach writes that all that is needed to enable the feature is to set “multitasking=TRUE” on the capabilities plist in the file “N82AP.plist;” notably, this requires root access to the device. Apple has said that it was leaving multitasking off the iPhone 3G and second-generation iPod touch due to hardware limitations. [via MacStories]
In a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Adobe has admitted that Flash’s exclusion from the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad could hurt the company. “To the extent new releases of operating systems or other third-party products, platforms or devices, such as the Apple iPhone or iPad, make it more difficult for our products to perform, and our customers are persuaded to use alternative technologies, our business could be harmed,” Adobe said in the filing under a “risk factors” heading.
Apple competitor Palm Inc. is seeking potential buyers, according to a Bloomberg report. Citing three people familiar with the situation, the report states that the company, which employs many former Apple employees, including former Apple senior vice president Jon Rubinstein, is working with Goldman Sachs and Qatalyst Partners to find a buyer. HTC, Lenovo, Nokia, and China’s Huawei Technologies Co. and ZTE Corp are said to be potential purchasers.
In an interview with Reuters, Google CEO Eric Schmidt said that Apple’s introduction of its iAd mobile advertising service will help his company in its bid to complete its acquisition of mobile advertising firm AdMob. Calling the move “evidence of a highly competitive market,” Schmidt said “It just seems obvious to me. I hope it (Google’s purchase of AdMob) gets approved.” Google has been waiting for FTC regulators to approve its purchase of AdMob; a developer who talked to Reuters said the regulatory group had been contacting various application developers trying to garner support for blocking the deal. “It’s been really interesting talking to them because they are so dead set against this,” said the developer. “They have been clearly positioning to try to stop this.”
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- iFixit posts Apple Watch teardown
- Apple posts Apple Watch User Guide
- Apple planning to release new iPod touch later this year?
- Nokia shopping around its Maps division, courting Apple
- Apple Watch pre-orders arriving tomorrow, Apple posts more Guided Tours
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?