Mix: 3G multitasking, Flash, Palm, Google
According to a Twitter update from jailbreaker Will Strafach, multitasking can be enabled on the iPhone 3G by making a simple edit to a plist document. Strafach writes that all that is needed to enable the feature is to set “multitasking=TRUE” on the capabilities plist in the file “N82AP.plist;” notably, this requires root access to the device. Apple has said that it was leaving multitasking off the iPhone 3G and second-generation iPod touch due to hardware limitations. [via MacStories]
In a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Adobe has admitted that Flash’s exclusion from the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad could hurt the company. “To the extent new releases of operating systems or other third-party products, platforms or devices, such as the Apple iPhone or iPad, make it more difficult for our products to perform, and our customers are persuaded to use alternative technologies, our business could be harmed,” Adobe said in the filing under a “risk factors” heading.
Apple competitor Palm Inc. is seeking potential buyers, according to a Bloomberg report. Citing three people familiar with the situation, the report states that the company, which employs many former Apple employees, including former Apple senior vice president Jon Rubinstein, is working with Goldman Sachs and Qatalyst Partners to find a buyer. HTC, Lenovo, Nokia, and China’s Huawei Technologies Co. and ZTE Corp are said to be potential purchasers.
In an interview with Reuters, Google CEO Eric Schmidt said that Apple’s introduction of its iAd mobile advertising service will help his company in its bid to complete its acquisition of mobile advertising firm AdMob. Calling the move “evidence of a highly competitive market,” Schmidt said “It just seems obvious to me. I hope it (Google’s purchase of AdMob) gets approved.” Google has been waiting for FTC regulators to approve its purchase of AdMob; a developer who talked to Reuters said the regulatory group had been contacting various application developers trying to garner support for blocking the deal. “It’s been really interesting talking to them because they are so dead set against this,” said the developer. “They have been clearly positioning to try to stop this.”
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?