Mix: 3G multitasking, Flash, Palm, Google
According to a Twitter update from jailbreaker Will Strafach, multitasking can be enabled on the iPhone 3G by making a simple edit to a plist document. Strafach writes that all that is needed to enable the feature is to set “multitasking=TRUE” on the capabilities plist in the file “N82AP.plist;” notably, this requires root access to the device. Apple has said that it was leaving multitasking off the iPhone 3G and second-generation iPod touch due to hardware limitations. [via MacStories]
In a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Adobe has admitted that Flash’s exclusion from the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad could hurt the company. “To the extent new releases of operating systems or other third-party products, platforms or devices, such as the Apple iPhone or iPad, make it more difficult for our products to perform, and our customers are persuaded to use alternative technologies, our business could be harmed,” Adobe said in the filing under a “risk factors” heading.
Apple competitor Palm Inc. is seeking potential buyers, according to a Bloomberg report. Citing three people familiar with the situation, the report states that the company, which employs many former Apple employees, including former Apple senior vice president Jon Rubinstein, is working with Goldman Sachs and Qatalyst Partners to find a buyer. HTC, Lenovo, Nokia, and China’s Huawei Technologies Co. and ZTE Corp are said to be potential purchasers.
In an interview with Reuters, Google CEO Eric Schmidt said that Apple’s introduction of its iAd mobile advertising service will help his company in its bid to complete its acquisition of mobile advertising firm AdMob. Calling the move “evidence of a highly competitive market,” Schmidt said “It just seems obvious to me. I hope it (Google’s purchase of AdMob) gets approved.” Google has been waiting for FTC regulators to approve its purchase of AdMob; a developer who talked to Reuters said the regulatory group had been contacting various application developers trying to garner support for blocking the deal. “It’s been really interesting talking to them because they are so dead set against this,” said the developer. “They have been clearly positioning to try to stop this.”
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly comes out Monday, subscribe now
- Verizon to allow users to opt out of web tracking ‘supercookies’
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- RooCase ORB Tablet System
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- How do I turn off Reachability on the iPhone 6 Plus?
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards