Mix: 5G scratching, Consumer experience, Darth Jobs | iLounge News

Mix: 5G scratching, Consumer experience, Darth Jobs

Consumer Reports claims that the screen on the new fifth-generation iPod is just as prone to scratching as the iPod nano. “Our tests of the new 30GB model did turn up some drawbacks. Among them is a durability problem that arose with some of the Nanos: a scratch-prone screen. In an informal test, we found the screen on the new iPod softer than the one on previous high-capacity iPods; we could easily scratch it with fingernails.”

Commenting on the new iPod and ABC-iTunes deal, BusinessWeek’s Stephen Wildstrom says that Apple stays ahead of the competition because of its focus on consumers. “Apple’s products and services are designed with the single overarching concern of delivering a great consumer experience… Apple has again done consumers a service by playing the trailblazer, persuading a top-tier studio to provide good content despite its fears of piracy and disruption to its distribution model.”

Forbes has created a Steve Jobs/Darth Vader mask that you can download and print out. “Steve Jobs was the chosen one who promised to make things right in the computing world. But as time passed, his hunger for power took over, leading him to sue hapless bloggers and embrace dark arts, like digital-rights management.”

« New Podcast: iLounge Week in Review 17, London MacExpo Edition

Sumajin offers silicone case for iPod nano »

Comments

As humorous as the Darth Jobs mask is, do people really think Stevey is all crazy and mean? Or at least power hungry?

If you do, alright, you’re free to feel the way you want. But if its because of DRM or paying a whopping $.99 for a song and $2.99 for an episode of Lost or a music video, remember that Steve doesn’t make the prices, and in order to get you the music you want via download, he has to comply somewhat to what the music labels want, and music labels what hordes of DRM. So in order to give you what you want, he has to comply with them since they own the content.

And is it so wrong to want to keep your secrets secret? To keep the competitors at bay? There’s no wrong in that. You break secrets about any huge technology company and your going to get sued, it just so happens apple is in the spotlight right now so every one is eating it up.

Posted by Unit 313 on October 28, 2005 at 12:15 PM (PDT)

Actually, the TV episodes on iTMS are $1.99 not $2.99.

Posted by Michael Collins on October 28, 2005 at 1:11 PM (PDT)

iPod nanos and 5G iPods scratch more visibly because they have square corners and a thicker layer of plastic, which scratches reflect off of.

Posted by LukeA on October 28, 2005 at 1:13 PM (PDT)

In fact paying a whopping .99 per track is more than you think. I buy a 16 track album, that’s 16 bucks. And I don’t get any shiny plastic disc or packaging or printed inlay. Instead, even more of my money lines the pockets of execs instead of the artists who really deserve it.

Posted by m4rco p0lo on October 28, 2005 at 1:34 PM (PDT)

Michael Collins (your real name or after the hero?) Sorry about the price error, my bad, still, its over priced. I’d rather buy a DVD containing all the music videos of an artist or a complete season of my favorite show, and then rip each episode to my ipod. Sure its more tedious that way, but then I have the option of watching the episodes in DVD quality on my television, or on my iPod.

m4rco, I know its more then I think, but I was talking about paying for just one single track, not a whole album. One thing I don’t get about the iTMS is that some albums with 10+ songs still cost only $9.99 while others cost that in excess.

It is frustrating how bloody greedy and money grubbing record execs are, and how even though the artists DO get some of the money, they don’t get a very big percentage of it. Sure the record companies have to pay for someone to mix, someone to make the discs, someone to do the marketing and yadda yadda, but without the bands, these execs wouldn’t have any money. On the other end though, some bands wouldn’t be where they were if it wasn’t for the execs. . . I don’t know anything about the record industry honestly, all I know is that the artists (the real artists, no britney or christina or the green day of today) deserve more then they get, if only to keep the record execs humble.

Posted by Unit 313 on October 28, 2005 at 1:52 PM (PDT)

I beg to differ on the scratching issue - I own both a Nano and a new iPod (video) and the screen on the iPod video is FAR MORE resilient to scratching than the Nano.

Posted by jcs on October 28, 2005 at 2:29 PM (PDT)

It is absolutely true on the 5G screen scratching more easily than earlier iPods.  I even have a pretty bad ding in my 5G iPod screen (not to mention the scratches).  And I handle my iPods with kid gloves.  And it is not just a “usage case” scenario going here: i.e., people are staring at video iPod screens more for the video, ergo, they are noticing scratches that they didn’t notice on previous iPods.  This is bunk.  The photo iPod screens did not scratch like this, nor any of my earlier iPods.  The plastic on these devices is defective and Apple will lose the present class action lawsuit.  They have a huge problem on their hands with this one.

Posted by Steve Haney on October 28, 2005 at 2:39 PM (PDT)

m4rco polo - I _might be wrong here, but can you not buy 16-track albums for $9.99?

Posted by Warren Piece on October 28, 2005 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

No, Warren you are right, he can buy a 16 track album for $9.99

Posted by matrixsjd on October 28, 2005 at 3:29 PM (PDT)

Regarding scratching, I don’t own a nano so I can’t comment. However, my 5G has some minor scraches on the screen just from wiping dust off it with a lense cleaner. I thought my 4G was bad, this one is worse. There are some horror stories over at the apple forums check out the pics in this post: http://tinyurl.com/7t2ay. The guy who posted claims he carried his iPod in the provided slip cover, but I find that hard to believe. The slip cover, though basic and cheap, does provide a degree of protection.

Posted by Madam on October 28, 2005 at 4:59 PM (PDT)

Wow that screen is nasty…honestly though the scratches are in a radial pattern I got a feeling our buddy here polished with an abrasive…I mean I know they are scratch prone but come on thats crazy…if he is 100% truthful than Apple has a biiiiiiggggg problem on their hands!

Posted by lstrike on October 28, 2005 at 5:59 PM (PDT)

There is NO WAY that guy carried that iPod in the case.  Even if there were slight scratches from the case, they would be completely vertical from moving the iPod in and out of the case.

That’s complete bunk.  It’s like he took sandpaper to it!

I have a 5G iPod and it’s just fine.  There are some small scratches that I got, but iCleaner took them off in an instant, and it always looks just like new.

Seriously, what ARE these people doing to their iPods?  I cannot believe it… A bunch of savages.

Posted by m.sherman on October 28, 2005 at 7:43 PM (PDT)

All artist work hard & do their jobs are “real” wether you like them or not. So they all deserve to get a bigger peice of the profits.

Posted by BENTON on October 29, 2005 at 2:36 AM (PDT)

I bought a 4G iPod direct from Apple about 2 weeks before the 5G was released.  Even though I’ve had it in a case from day 1, there are already small scratches on the case and screen…from the case I think!  Any possibility they started using a softer plastic on the iPod 4G as they ran up production of the 5G?

Posted by Hokie on October 29, 2005 at 6:51 AM (PDT)

i just got my 5g yesterday and already I’m noticing swirly surface scratches.  i haven’t done anything with it but put it in the case and transfer songs…

yeah, there is definitely a problem here

Posted by wmurch3 on October 29, 2005 at 7:47 AM (PDT)

I have one of the new 5Gs and honestly all the whining is getting a little tiring.  Everything scratches - who cares how easily.  If you’re so interested in it not scratching then wear white cotton gloves every time you handle it.  Now there are some cases on the market so go get one.  I have not a single scratch on mine and have had it since they got to the stores.  Honestly, it’s really sad to hear people complain about something scratching you put in your pocket.

Posted by eV on October 29, 2005 at 9:28 AM (PDT)

eV-

I have not even put it in my pocket yet and it has surface scratches.  I haven’t even taken it outside for that matter.  It’s just been sitting on my desk transferring songs.  An mp3 player that scratches just my touching it is not right.

i’m not a nazi about how my ipod looks but this is rediculous.  Normally you get atleast a month where something new looks new but i didn’t even get a day.  my thumb moving around the click-wheel actually scratches this thing.  and the case meant to protect it from scratching, actually scratches it.  i’m sorry but that is ridiculous.  no two ways about it.

Posted by wmurch3 on October 29, 2005 at 10:18 AM (PDT)

Seriously, the whining about the scratching is getting out of hand. It makes you people sound like snobs. Get a case, or a film for the ipod and shut up.

Posted by justblaize on October 29, 2005 at 11:43 AM (PDT)

eV - you are wrong, not everything scratches. The iPod mini screen does not scratch easily. If earlier iPods scratched as easily, then don’t you think we’d have had messages like this being posted for years???

Posted by Magic Rabbits in Aberdeen, Scotland on October 29, 2005 at 12:14 PM (PDT)

wmurch3-

Sorry, but my experience is nothing at all like yours.  I use the supplied case, ran a 5K with it in my pocket, and nothing.  Swirling scratches would seem to indicate jeans or a shirt for cleaning…

If you’re that concerned with scratching you should wait for a case and never take it out.  Leave it alone until you get one.  Otherwise, treat it with care.

I mean, I’m curious - do people think they should get a whole new iPod simply because it scratches?

Posted by eV on October 29, 2005 at 12:19 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >