Mix: 5G scratching, Consumer experience, Darth Jobs | iLounge News

Mix: 5G scratching, Consumer experience, Darth Jobs

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, October 28, 2005
News Categories:

Consumer Reports claims that the screen on the new fifth-generation iPod is just as prone to scratching as the iPod nano. “Our tests of the new 30GB model did turn up some drawbacks. Among them is a durability problem that arose with some of the Nanos: a scratch-prone screen. In an informal test, we found the screen on the new iPod softer than the one on previous high-capacity iPods; we could easily scratch it with fingernails.”

Commenting on the new iPod and ABC-iTunes deal, BusinessWeek’s Stephen Wildstrom says that Apple stays ahead of the competition because of its focus on consumers. “Apple’s products and services are designed with the single overarching concern of delivering a great consumer experience… Apple has again done consumers a service by playing the trailblazer, persuading a top-tier studio to provide good content despite its fears of piracy and disruption to its distribution model.”

Forbes has created a Steve Jobs/Darth Vader mask that you can download and print out. “Steve Jobs was the chosen one who promised to make things right in the computing world. But as time passed, his hunger for power took over, leading him to sue hapless bloggers and embrace dark arts, like digital-rights management.”

« New Podcast: iLounge Week in Review 17, London MacExpo Edition

Sumajin offers silicone case for iPod nano »

Comments

Magic Rabbits-

Strange, my 3G iPod had scratches on it.  Must have been a fluke.

Posted by eV on October 29, 2005 at 12:20 PM (PDT)

I got a PSP screen guard and cut it in half for   protection.  The width fits perfect.

Posted by MaverickC17 on October 29, 2005 at 1:54 PM (PDT)

I’ve owned a 2G and 3G iPod up until now.  Both have suffered from minor, but acceptable surface scratching over the years.  One was stored in a leather wallet case, the other in a rubber skin case.  I’ve just bought my new 5G iPod (30gb in white) and have kept the protective film on the front until my invisibleSHIELD arrives.  I’ve used iS screen protectors on all of my PDA’s and smartphones and have been really amazed by the resilience of their protective film technology - I’m more than happy to trust my little iPod with their technology.  Okay, it’s $25, but having handed over my hard earned cash for the new iPod (which has become a great travel companion over the year) ... I think it’s a worthwhile investment.

Posted by Tegne on October 29, 2005 at 8:16 PM (PDT)

The bottom line is that this is an expensive, PORTABLE device…To have to be as careful as some of you suggest is absurd considering the life an ipod is meant to live…I have both a photo ipod and a mini…the mini does not scratch even close to as easily…very acceptable…the photo needs to be protected in an unreasonable manner for a portable device…and from looking at the display models at the apple store it is clear that the new ipod is at least 100% more prone to scratching than any other (except maybe the nano)...take a look at dispaly models of competing devices at compusa for example and notice a serious lack of debilitating scratches…But be serious this is a device meant to be used on the go and it is clearly not designed in such a way…

Posted by DJ on October 30, 2005 at 3:52 PM (PDT)

I’ve had mine for a week and it’s already scratched to hell.  And no, I’m not putting it in a bag of sand and rocks as some of you clowns may suggest.

Bottom line is this is unacceptable and I’ll be going back to Iriver for my MP3 player needs.

Screw apple.

Posted by David on October 30, 2005 at 5:24 PM (PDT)

DJ, my sentiments exactly.  Portable MP3 players and kid glove treatment aren’t a natural mix.

Posted by flatline response on October 30, 2005 at 5:45 PM (PDT)

Last I heard people is that bands don’t actually have to sign on the dotted line if they don’t want to. There are plenty of bands out there that are independent of record labels and own their own music. Don’t blame record labels for being greedy. When a label signs a new band it takes on massive risk. It pays ther bands, organises their promotion and cover all costs associated with putting these peoples music on the shelves. If the band flops they lose their investment and the band has lost nothing. So when the band is successful the record companies are more than entitled to reap rewards because it was their risk that put the band in that position. If artists complain about their cut then they are more than welcome to go independent and use their own money in production.

The ITMS is a wonderful result for the music industry. Everyone wins.

Posted by WEBBO on October 30, 2005 at 9:46 PM (PDT)

Appleinsider.com has reported that Apple is willing to replace any Fifth-Generation iPods that have problems that were previously classified as abuse.  See the article here: http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1344  Personally, I haven’t had any problems with my 60GB white, though I did have serious issues with my black 2GB Nano and was able to get it replaced by calling Applecare and complaining.

Posted by Mike Fisher on October 30, 2005 at 10:53 PM (PDT)

I have a 5G iPod and I don’t have any scratches using the provided Apple cover. I have also added a Palm screen guard protection for the screen, so it’s not prone to scratches anymore.

I believe the black iPod is the problem. With the black one, you see every detail and every scratch, with the white one, it’s not that obvious.

Anyway, maybe some iPods have a problem with their plastic, but the majority are OK. Older iPods were “fragile” also. Silicon covers are the best to avoid problems anyway !

Posted by Steph on October 31, 2005 at 6:33 AM (PDT)

I agree completely with ‘DJ’ and ‘flatline response’. Portable device should be more resistant than normal electronic device (its not Saint Graal, its just an MP3 player!).

So I should spend money for an iPod, money for wall charger (not included in any standard package), money for decent pair of erabuds and now money for a case (not so orrible like one included with 5G) to protect screen from scratches. Sorry too many moneies for a device with a so scratch-prone screen.

I’ll wait buy an iPod with screen from Apple, until they do screen more resistant.

Posted by Akira on October 31, 2005 at 6:35 AM (PDT)

For xmas’ sakes, there is plenty of anecdotal testimonials out there to support the position that the new ipods have a problem with their cases and screens.  A fiver says that before Jan 2006 comes Apple agrees to change the formula in its plastic to address this problem.

Posted by CHV on October 31, 2005 at 11:51 AM (PDT)

the screen is made of the same stuff as the old iPods but there clear layer is thicker on the nano and 5G iPod, so scratches show easier…

Posted by l337 h4X0r on November 1, 2005 at 9:21 PM (PDT)

I am very disapointed with the Ipod 5G I have a black one and it is less that a week old and scrached badly. I have been carrying it in a case but it doesn’t help it is scrached all to pieces. i paid 400 dollars for a piece of junk.  i bought it for the purpose of watching movies but there is no way that can be done with this amount of scratches. I am very unhappy, I have a 1st gen. that is 4 years old and it looks alot better than this one

Posted by CRAIG on December 20, 2005 at 6:33 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2