Mix: AAPL, Bonus feature, Video podcasts, ‘Lost’ experience
Shares of Apple surged 9.1 percent, or $4.49, to $53.74 Thursday following two days of losses. “Several analysts said investors prematurely sold the stock following a fourth-quarter earnings report in which Apple’s revenue fell $6 million shy of Wall Street’s consensus estimates. However, positive reaction to Apple’s new video iPod and content-licensing TV show deal with the Walt Disney Co. sent investors back into buying mode.”
Apple CEO Steve Jobs told Fortune that video is just a bonus on the new iPod instead of its main feature. “This is the best iPod for music ever, and customers basically get the video for free,” Jobs said. “And because the iPod is the most popular portable audio player on the planet, the new iPods automatically become the world’s most popular portable video players, too.”
Reuters reports that “Podcasting is on the verge of setting off a video revolution and users of Apple Computer Inc.‘s new video iPod can expect a deluge of outspoken commentary, religious sermons and pornography.”
Dawn Chmielewski of the Mercury News writes: “The experience of watching an early episode of ‘Lost’ displayed on a 2 1/2-inch screen was surprisingly compelling, with sharp images and stereo sound. I found myself drawn into the scene showing the aftermath of the plane crash that defines the show. But there’s a major caveat here: Steve Jobs needs the support of a lot more studios than Disney.”
- Details of Apple Watch’s heart monitor, limitations released
- Apple releases its 2015 Environmental Responsibility Report
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Pay coming to Canada later this year?
- Report: Apple being uncooperative with antitrust monitor
- Leaked cases may hint at ‘iPad Pro’ design details
- L.A. school district seeking restitution over failed iPad program (Updated)
- Apple partners with The Conservation Fund to protect U.S. working forests
- In-store sales of Apple Watch delayed until at least June
- Apple adds WWDC scholarships to promote diversity
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?