Mix: AAPL, Bonus feature, Video podcasts, ‘Lost’ experience
Shares of Apple surged 9.1 percent, or $4.49, to $53.74 Thursday following two days of losses. “Several analysts said investors prematurely sold the stock following a fourth-quarter earnings report in which Apple’s revenue fell $6 million shy of Wall Street’s consensus estimates. However, positive reaction to Apple’s new video iPod and content-licensing TV show deal with the Walt Disney Co. sent investors back into buying mode.”
Apple CEO Steve Jobs told Fortune that video is just a bonus on the new iPod instead of its main feature. “This is the best iPod for music ever, and customers basically get the video for free,” Jobs said. “And because the iPod is the most popular portable audio player on the planet, the new iPods automatically become the world’s most popular portable video players, too.”
Reuters reports that “Podcasting is on the verge of setting off a video revolution and users of Apple Computer Inc.‘s new video iPod can expect a deluge of outspoken commentary, religious sermons and pornography.”
Dawn Chmielewski of the Mercury News writes: “The experience of watching an early episode of ‘Lost’ displayed on a 2 1/2-inch screen was surprisingly compelling, with sharp images and stereo sound. I found myself drawn into the scene showing the aftermath of the plane crash that defines the show. But there’s a major caveat here: Steve Jobs needs the support of a lot more studios than Disney.”
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly comes out Monday, subscribe now
- Verizon to allow users to opt out of web tracking ‘supercookies’
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- RooCase ORB Tablet System
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- How do I turn off Reachability on the iPhone 6 Plus?
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards