Mix: AAPL, Privacy, IDC, White iPhone 4
Apple will announce its third quarter 2010 earnings later today. As it has done in the past, the company also plans to conduct a conference call to discuss its third fiscal quarter results; the call will begin at 2:00 p.m. PST and will be available as an audio webcast.
Apple has responded to an inquiry from the House of Representatives into its location data collection techniques. According to Cnet, the 13-page letter explains that Apple previously shared information with Google and Skyhook, but now keeps its database of call tower locations, Wi-Fi access points, and anonymous GPS coordinates to itself. It does not collect any personally identifying data, such as SSIDs or data.
According to the latest data from IDC, 66% of current iPhone owners will delay their purchase of the iPhone 4 because of the handset’s well-documented antenna and reception issues. Macworld UK reports that despite the low numbers among current owners, 74% of those who don’t own an iPhone and plan to purchase one said the ongoing issues would not delay their plans. ““It looks like a perfect example of the difference between behavioral economics and market economics,” said Will Stofega, a mobile device analyst for IDC. “The iPhone 4 clearly isn’t working as it should, Apple’s saying that ‘We’ll give you a Bumper,’ but people seem committed to the iPhone. Many of them see this as overblown, and that Apple will fix it.”
Apple’s need to initially delay shipments of white iPhone 4 units was due to problems at Lens Technology, a small Chinese company responsible for transforming fine raw glass into the final iPhone glass panel. Engadget reports that the company’s factory is still working on the right combination of paint thickness and opacity to allow for attachment of the digitizer while keeping the panel the correct color of white. The report goes on to state that Lens can currently only match half of Apple’s demand, posing a bottleneck to the supply chain.
- Apple releases second iOS 8.4.1 beta to developers
- Volkswagen adds CarPlay to 2016 lineup
- AT&T wants $100M data throttling fine thrown out
- Apple Music added to T-Mobile’s Music Freedom
- Report: Apple Music hits 10M subscribers
- Apple Maps vans landing in France, Sweden in August
- Report: Slimmer iPad mini 4 on the way, upgraded iPad Air 3 a possibility
- Beijing police bust massive iPhone counterfeiting operation
- Report: Apple interested in BMW i3 as ‘starting point’ for its own car
- Nike to offer customers cash in proposed FuelBand settlement
- Zivix Jamstik+ MIDI Guitar Controller
- Ulak Lumenair for iPhone 6
- Apple iPod touch (Sixth-Generation)
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?