Mix: AAPL, Privacy, IDC, White iPhone 4
Apple will announce its third quarter 2010 earnings later today. As it has done in the past, the company also plans to conduct a conference call to discuss its third fiscal quarter results; the call will begin at 2:00 p.m. PST and will be available as an audio webcast.
Apple has responded to an inquiry from the House of Representatives into its location data collection techniques. According to Cnet, the 13-page letter explains that Apple previously shared information with Google and Skyhook, but now keeps its database of call tower locations, Wi-Fi access points, and anonymous GPS coordinates to itself. It does not collect any personally identifying data, such as SSIDs or data.
According to the latest data from IDC, 66% of current iPhone owners will delay their purchase of the iPhone 4 because of the handset’s well-documented antenna and reception issues. Macworld UK reports that despite the low numbers among current owners, 74% of those who don’t own an iPhone and plan to purchase one said the ongoing issues would not delay their plans. ““It looks like a perfect example of the difference between behavioral economics and market economics,” said Will Stofega, a mobile device analyst for IDC. “The iPhone 4 clearly isn’t working as it should, Apple’s saying that ‘We’ll give you a Bumper,’ but people seem committed to the iPhone. Many of them see this as overblown, and that Apple will fix it.”
Apple’s need to initially delay shipments of white iPhone 4 units was due to problems at Lens Technology, a small Chinese company responsible for transforming fine raw glass into the final iPhone glass panel. Engadget reports that the company’s factory is still working on the right combination of paint thickness and opacity to allow for attachment of the digitizer while keeping the panel the correct color of white. The report goes on to state that Lens can currently only match half of Apple’s demand, posing a bottleneck to the supply chain.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apps of the Week: Sago Mini Road Trip, Football Manager Handheld 2015, Deliveries 6.0 + more
- Square plans to accept Apple Pay in 2015
- Google settles patent litigation with Apple’s Rockstar consortium
- Corning announces Gorilla Glass 4
- Report: GT Advanced struggled with sapphire production
- Report: Apple plans to integrate Beats Music directly into iOS
- Apple plans to ‘repurpose’ Arizona manufacturing plant, save jobs
- Apple announces WatchKit software tools available to developers now
- Apple ordered to pay $23.6M in pager technology settlement
- Apple opens up Lightning port to third-party manufacturers, begins accepting HomeKit plans
- G-Project G-Go Outdoor Wireless Speaker (2014)
- SteelSeries Stratus XL Gaming Controller
- Belkin/Jarden Mr. Coffee 10-Cup Smart Coffeemaker
- Logitech Keys-to-Go For iPad
- IvySkin Renegade for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Infinity Infinity One Wireless Speaker
- Twelve South PlugBug World iPad/iPhone Charger
- Pelican Protector for iPhone 6 and Voyager for iPhone 6 Plus
- STM Flip for iPhone 6
- Griffin Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0