Mix: AAPL Q1, LG, Arcade Bowling, Chipotle
Apple plans to release its first quarter financial results on Wednesday, January 21. As it has done in the past, the company also plans to conduct a conference call to discuss its first quarter results; the call will begin at 2:00 p.m. PST and will be available as an audio webcast.
LG Display has signed a deal to supply Apple with LCD panels for the next five years. The company did not disclose the total size of the deal, but said in a filing to the Korea Exchange that it would receive a $500 million advance from Apple this month. “Although LG Display already had a relationship with Apple, the deal’s duration and the size of the advance show that the two companies are involved in a long-term, strategic alliance,” said Son Young-jun, a spokesman for LG Display. It is unknown whether any of the displays are planned for use in Apple’s portable media devices.
Skyworks has released Arcade Bowling, its latest game for the iPhone and iPod touch. Based on the popular arcade game Skeeball, users flick to send “laser” balls down the alley and up the ramp toward the scoring holes. Once in the air, users can also influence the ball’s flight in midair using the accelerometer. The game also features two sound tracks, 3D graphics, and two game modes—Classic and Progressive. Arcade Bowling is available now from the App Store and sells for $2.
National burrito restaurant chain Chipotle has released Chipotle Mobile Ordering, its new application for the iPhone and iPod touch. The app allows users to order food directly from these devices, offering access to the full menu of options, including sauces and extras, saving favorite orders for later, and paying with a credit card from the application. It also offers a Chipotle location finder. Chipotle Mobile Ordering is available now as a free download from the App Store.
- Apple’s new ‘Echo rival’ may feature a camera
- Apple ‘working rapidly’ to extend Apple Pay to more countries
- Report: Apple’s Siri-based Amazon Echo competitor will be a new Apple TV
- Report: Apple SVP Eddy Cue proposed bid to buy Time Warner
- Beta testing for Pokémon GO begins in the U.S.
- Apple’s plan to open stores in India hits a snag (Update: India’s finance minister ratifies ruling)
- Apple looking into charging stations for electric cars
- Apple hires hint at improvements in encryption, health monitoring
- Hyundai adds CarPlay support to more vehicles
- Plaintiffs file new motion to keep ‘Error 53’ Touch ID lawsuit alive
- OtterBox Symmetry Series Hybrid Case for 12.9” iPad Pro
- Logitech Logi BASE Charging Stand for iPad Pro
- Twelve South TimePorter for Apple Watch
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)