Mix: AAPL Q4, Handbrake, Nokia, Adobe Flash
Apple has announced that it will release the financial results for its fourth fiscal quarter on October 21. Of particular note in the release will be sales information for the iPhone 3G’s first quarter on the market. Alongside its earnings statement, Apple will hold a conference call to discuss the financial results which will begin at 2:00 p.m. PDT, October 21.
The developers of Handbrake, a popular open-source DVD to MPEG-4 converter, are offering a pre-release build of the latest version, 0.9.3, on the app’s website. The new version, which is offered as a “snapshot” build and will therefore likely still contain bugs and present other issues, adds the ability to convert many different formats of video — not just DVDs like prior versions — to MP4, MKV, AVI or OGM files. Handbrake 0.9.3 (pre-release) is available as a free download for Macs running OS X 10.5 or later, PCs running Windows 2000, XP, or Vista, and Linux.
Nokia president and CEO Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo praised Apple for its contribution to the wireless industry in a recent on-stage interview, saying the company had done the industry “a big favor.” “We have a new, credible competitor in this business. You know I need to take my hat off,” Kallasvuo said of how the iPhone has raised consumer expectations for mobile phones, adding, “Of course we need to be able to respond to any competitor and we will.” Prior to the iPhone’s original launch, Nokia board member Daniel Hesse claimed that the iPhone would “look pedestrian” compared to advanced mobiles available in Europe and Asia; the company later launched an advertising campaign knocking the iPhone’s then closed-system nature.
At a recent appearance, Adobe’s Senior Director of Engineering Paul Betlem confirmed that the company is actively developing a Flash Player for the iPhone. Betlem said that while the player was in development, the release of the software will depend on Apple, and whether the iPhone maker decides to let the player onto the platform. The iPhone’s lack of Flash has been a point of contention since the device’s launch in June 2007, with Apple CEO Steve Jobs saying that Adobe’s Flash Lite software was underpowered, while the full-powered player “performs too slow to be useful” on the iPhone.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple Q4 earnings call coming October 20
- European magazine gets blacklisted by Apple for posting “Bendgate” video
- “Reset All Settings” in iOS 8 may also erase iCloud Drive content
- Apple’s tax deal in Ireland may be illegal according to EU regulators
- Apple releases first iOS 8.1 beta to developers
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus hit China Oct. 17, pre-orders Oct. 10
- Report: iOS 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 in simultaneous development
- French fashion retailer Colette to hold in-store Apple event
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Apps of the Week: OmniFocus 2 for iPad, Transmit, Asphalt Overdrive + more
- Griffin Survivor All-Terrain, Core, and Slim for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Griffin Identity, Reveal cases for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Orbotix Ollie by Sphero
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic HD
- JBL Charge 2 Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2 In-Ear Headphones
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Speck CandyShell, Card, Grip + Inked cases for iPhone 6
- Incipio DualPro Shine, Edge for iPhone 6 + NGP for iPhone 6 Plus
- PureGear DualTek Extreme Shock Case, HIP Case+ and Slim Shell for iPhone 6
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More