Mix: AdSense for apps, 3.0 adoption, 3GS graphics, YouTube
Google launched its new AdSense for Mobile Applications beta, allowing iPhone and Android developers to add Google-sourced contextual ads to their products. According to a post on the company’s official mobile blog, Google has already has a successful trial run of the service with a small number of partners, including Sega, Shazam, and Urbanspoon, and are now offering the advertising solution to a larger group. Interested developers can visit this site to learn more about the program and to apply for the beta service.
iPhone developer Tapbots has posted internal numbers showing the adoption rate of iPhone OS 3.0 for users of its Convertbot application. The results include device and OS version for each day in June, and count only users using the latest version of the application—1.3. For iPhone Convertbot users, who outnumber iPod touch users nearly 6-to-1, the percentage running OS 3.0 jumped from around 8% on June 9-16 to 79% as of June 22%, an impressive number considering the upgrade had only been available for five days at that point. iPod touch users appear to upgrading at a slower pace, with just over half of users having upgraded to 3.0 as of the 22nd. When taking into account the discrepancy between iPhone and iPod touch users, the overall 3.0 adoption rate sits at 75%.
The iPhone 3GS sports a faster version of the PowerVR SGX graphics chip than previously believed, according to a group of iPhone developers. Mac Rumors reports that the developers have found extension files on the 3GS named “IMGSGX535GLDriver,” suggesting that the new handset uses a version of the chip—the SGX535—designed for “high end mobile, portable, MID, UMPC, consumer, and automotive devices,” as opposed to the lower-end 520 that was previously suspected to be in the device, or the SGX530 chip found in the Palm Pre.
Google has announced that uploads from mobile phones to YouTube have jumped 400% since Friday’s launch of the iPhone 3GS. One of the most-publicized new features of the 3GS is the ability to shoot and edit video directly on the device, then upload it to YouTube or MobileMe, or share it via email or MMS. It is unclear, however, exactly how much of the jump is attributable to the iPhone 3GS given the continued influx of video uploads from Iran.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iPad Air 2 Control Center features separate mute and rotation buttons
- GT Advanced announces settlement with Apple
- iPad Air 2 ships with 10W power adapter
- Olloclip debuts 4-in-1 Photo Lens for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus
- iFixit posts iPad Air 2 teardown
- Apple Pay Bank of America customers experiencing double-charges
- iPad Air 2 unboxing and comparison gallery posted
- Apple’s new Maps Connect lets businesses manage listings, request iBeacon indoor mapping
- Apple reportedly begins in-store sales of iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Cook discussing security with top Chinese official
- Speck MightyShell for iPhone 6
- Misfit Flash Fitness + Sleep Monitor
- Just Mobile Xtand Go Z1
- PowerSkin Pop’n 2 for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- APC M5BK + M10BK 5000/10000mAh Mobile Power Packs
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini
- IK Multimedia iRig Pads MIDI Groove Controller
- Hex Icon Wallet and Solo Wallet for iPhone 6
- SwitchEasy 0.35, LifePocket + Numbers for iPhone 6
- GE Link Connected LED Bulb + Wink Hub
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0