Mix: AirTunes & iTunes 8.0, Let’s Rock, iToner, Nike+iPod | iLounge News

Mix: AirTunes & iTunes 8.0, Let’s Rock, iToner, Nike+iPod

According to an Apple support discussion thread, a number of users are reporting errors when trying to stream music to an Airport Express or Apple TV following installation of iTunes 8.0. Users reporting unknown errors -15000 and -3256 have found some workarounds, however, ranging from changing firewall settings to turning on IPv6. Are you having problems with your Airport Express after installing iTunes 8.0? Let us know in the comments. [via Engadget]

Apple is now offering QuickTime video streams of yesterday’s “Let’s Rock” special event, during which Apple CEO Steve Jobs introduced the fourth-generation iPod nano, second-generation iPod touch, and second-generation iPod classic. Both standard- and high-definition streams are available; the event is also available through Apple’s official Keynotes podcast.

Ambrosia Software has released iToner 1.0.9, the latest update to its iPhone custom ringtone creation software. Along with support for the newly-released iTunes 8.0, iToner 1.0.9 features the ability to remove all ringtones by option-clicking the delete button, a fix for verifying the ringtone format versus the firmware version, and other minor bug fixes. iToner requires Mac OS X 10.4.10 or later and sells for $15; a free trial download is also available.

Apple has reportedly confirmed that Nike+iPod integration, featured in the new second-generation iPod touch, will not be coming to prior iPod touch, iPhone, or iPhone 3G models. According to the report, the restriction stems from the technology required to connect the touch 2G to the receiver without using the standard dongle, which is absent in prior devices. Furthermore, the report claims that Apple said the dongle will not work with the devices listed above.

« Complete, high-res iPod nano 4G color comparison posted

Photos of iPod nano 4G, classic (120GB), shuffle 2008 posted in high-res »

Comments

Yes, I am experiencing the error 3256 breakage of AirTunes, and no, the purported workarounds (update Airport firmware; turn off—or twiddle with—Firewall) do not solve the problem for me. I have found that I can get my music back on the air by rebooting the Airport Express. But I lose it every time I put the computer to sleep (or otherwise disconnect the network). I have to reboot the Airport Express every time I reawaken the machine if I want to use AirTunes.

Posted by Macon Shibut on September 10, 2008 at 2:42 PM (PDT)

No, error -15000 was BEFORE iTunes 8… :-(

Posted by helenka on September 11, 2008 at 8:12 AM (PDT)

No problems on my end.  I actually was afraid that it wouldn’t work just as I installed the update but no problems at all.  Love Itunes 8 so far.

Posted by DjRags on September 11, 2008 at 12:50 PM (PDT)

This has happened to me with syncing to Apple TV since iTunes 8 and not before. I wasn’t sure what was going on. I am glad that at least I am not the only one experiencing this; I guess.

Posted by Justin Viger on September 11, 2008 at 2:51 PM (PDT)

no problems streaming to the airport express.
Haven’t tried airtunes streaming to my apple tv yet.

Posted by len armstrong on September 11, 2008 at 5:08 PM (PDT)

Is it just me, or is nobody asking about Nano Nike+ integration? I don’t remember it being announced, or asked, in anything I’ve read, but as a running device, I’d assume the Nano is a better fit than the much larger Touch.

Posted by Fred on September 12, 2008 at 6:05 AM (PDT)

Let me clarify: I know the Nano has an option to connect to the Nike+ system by way of a dongle, but how about fitting the same receiver that’s in the Touch to the new Nano, and then doing away with the dongle entirely? One less piece to worry about, and less hassle as far as adapting the Nano in terms of armbands or cases.

Posted by Fred on September 12, 2008 at 6:10 AM (PDT)

After installing iTunes 8, I’m getting Error -3256 when I try to activate AirTunes on my Desktop machine running Windows XP. I upgraded my laptop laptop running Vista ultimate and can access AirTunes without incident. Apart from running separate operating systems, my desktop machine connects to my network/router via ethernet, while my laptop connects wirelessly.  My Airport Express (b/g only model from 2004) is loaded with the latest firmware (v6.3).

Most of the posts on the Apple forum offer precious little by way of useful advice for Windows users. Moreover, posters there are given to making self-congratulatory claims about having stumbled upon a universal/definitive solution based on a success rate of one.

From my perspective, if everything worked before iTunes 8, and doesn’t work now, there’s something wrong with iTunes 8. I shouldn’t have to earn an Associate’s Degree in technogeek on the fly in order to use products meant to integrate seamlessly with iTunes. Whatever the issue might be, I hope Apple will address it with a software update, and soon.

Posted by ML on September 12, 2008 at 6:31 PM (PDT)

I downloaded 8.0 and now I keep getting a message that says my software and cd burner can’t be found.  Any suggestions?

Posted by hard2take4 on October 5, 2008 at 7:51 AM (PDT)

I have tried ALL the recommended fixes (Airport Express firmware OK at 6.3, IPv6 either on automatic or off entirely, and setting Firewall as recommended, but continue to get the -3256 error. Wish someone would crack this nut completely. Grrrrr!

Posted by Jamie on November 24, 2008 at 3:19 PM (PDT)