Mix: Albums on iPad, Battery supply, Hinge stand, Joule Chroma
Record labels are looking to dedicated iPad apps to expand on the concept of the album, according to a new report. The New York Times reports that Universal recently teamed with a video company to create iPad versions of films about classic albums, with social networking features, while EMI recently released an iPad version of the album Until One by dance group Swedish House Mafia, which for $9.99 includes the album as well as documentary videos, a photo gallery, and writings from the band, all laid out like a coffee table book.
An obscure Japanese chemicals maker is to blame for tight supplies of lithium ion batteries, according to a Wall Street Journal report. The report states that Apple recently called Kureha Corp. to discuss the problem; Kureha enjoys a 70% global market share for a crucial polymer used in lithium ion batteries, but only produces the substance at its factory located in Iwaki, which it was forced to close down following the recent earthquake. The company’s CEO said the situation would accelerate its plans to move more production overseas; it is unsure when the factory will reopen.
William Tang is now accepting Kickstarter pledges for his new Hinge stand for the iPad and iPad 2 (Pictured). Available in two versions—the Classic, made from sustainably harvested birch and leather, and the Crystalline, made from polypropylene—the Hinge sports a simple design that relies on a single hinge and two arms, and can be repositioned to provide a variety of viewing angles. Pledges begin at $25.
Element case has announced a new version of its Joule stand compatible with the iPad 2. Dubbed the Joule Chroma, the new stand mirrors that of the company’s original Joule stand, but offers compatibility with both iPad models, and is available in six anodized colors for $150.
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!