Mix: Albums on iPad, Battery supply, Hinge stand, Joule Chroma
Record labels are looking to dedicated iPad apps to expand on the concept of the album, according to a new report. The New York Times reports that Universal recently teamed with a video company to create iPad versions of films about classic albums, with social networking features, while EMI recently released an iPad version of the album Until One by dance group Swedish House Mafia, which for $9.99 includes the album as well as documentary videos, a photo gallery, and writings from the band, all laid out like a coffee table book.
An obscure Japanese chemicals maker is to blame for tight supplies of lithium ion batteries, according to a Wall Street Journal report. The report states that Apple recently called Kureha Corp. to discuss the problem; Kureha enjoys a 70% global market share for a crucial polymer used in lithium ion batteries, but only produces the substance at its factory located in Iwaki, which it was forced to close down following the recent earthquake. The company’s CEO said the situation would accelerate its plans to move more production overseas; it is unsure when the factory will reopen.
William Tang is now accepting Kickstarter pledges for his new Hinge stand for the iPad and iPad 2 (Pictured). Available in two versions—the Classic, made from sustainably harvested birch and leather, and the Crystalline, made from polypropylene—the Hinge sports a simple design that relies on a single hinge and two arms, and can be repositioned to provide a variety of viewing angles. Pledges begin at $25.
Element case has announced a new version of its Joule stand compatible with the iPad 2. Dubbed the Joule Chroma, the new stand mirrors that of the company’s original Joule stand, but offers compatibility with both iPad models, and is available in six anodized colors for $150.
- Report: Apple in talks to launch virtual network service
- Dr. Dre’s new album coming to iTunes, Apple Music on Friday
- Nokia’s HERE Maps sold to automakers in $3.1B deal
- Report: Apple plans to use Siri to transcribe voicemails
- Leaked photos suggest thicker, Force Touch-equipped iPhones
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Report reveals additional details on Apple and BMW talks
- Report: New Apple TV to debut in September, subscription service to come later
- Apple releases second iOS 8.4.1 beta to developers
- Volkswagen adds CarPlay to 2016 lineup
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX
- Zivix Jamstik+ MIDI Guitar Controller
- Ulak Lumenair for iPhone 6
- Apple iPod touch (Sixth-Generation)
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?