Mix: Apple patent, lawsuit, EasyPay, NBA League Pass
Apple has filed a new patent application describing a wireless headset with the ability to play music on its own while the external device is not being used. The drawings show a headset similar to Apple’s prior iPhone Bluetooth Headset, but with a port on the rear that can be connected to a cord or strap with a similar, iPod-style earbud on the opposite side for stereo sound. Proposed features of the device would include the ability to be used as an audio player, the ability to record voice notes, which could then be synced back to the attached device, the ability to cache voicemail recordings for offline playback, and the ability to record all or part of a phone conversation. As with all Apple patents, this filing does not necessarily represent any future product release from Apple, but offers evidence of the company’s research in this area.
St. Clair Intellectual Property Consultants, a Michigan-based company that has previously been awarded millions of dollars in lawsuits against consumer electronics companies such as Sony and Canon, has filed a patent infringement lawsuit against Apple in U.S. District Court in Delaware. The company claims that Apple has infringed upon four of its patents, entitled “Electronic Still Video Camera with Direct Personal Computer (PC) Compatible Digital Format Output,” “Electronic Still Video Camera with Direct Personal Computer (PC) Compatible Digital Format Output,” another entitled “Electronic Still Video Camera with Direct Personal Computer (PC) Compatible Digital Format Output,” and “Process for Use in Electronic Camera”. The suit claims that Apple has “made, offered to sell, imported, used and/or sold” digital cameras that “directly, contributorily, or by inducement” infringe on the patents, without naming any specific product. AppleInsider notes that in many cases where St. Clair was awarded damages, the defendants entered into licensing agreements with the company.
Apple is set to switch its retail stores from the current EasyPay portable point-of sale (POS) computers to iPod touch units using an advanced scanner accessory, according to an ifoAppleStore report. The new units will allow employees to capture data from multiple barcodes—such as UPC, serial number, product code, and cellular IMEI and ICCI numbers—in a single pass, and will allow for cash transactions to be handled without the need to head to a central cash drawer. It is unclear, the report states, whether Apple is using software developed in-house for the new system or a third-party solution. The current EasyPay system, which runs on Windows CE devices from Symbol Technologies and debuted prior to the 2005 holiday buying season, has been the subject of ongoing complaints from Apple retail employees, who claim the system suffers from crashes, Wi-Fi dropouts, and sluggish operation.
The National Basketball Association has released NBA League Pass Mobile, its latest application for the iPhone and iPod touch. Developed by MobiTV, League Pass Mobile gives iPhone and iPod touch users access to more than 40 live NBA games a week during the 2009-20 regular season, full game replays for up to 48 hours after each game, daily highlights, live player stats, live scores, the ability to set “Remind Me” alerts for favorite teams or key games, and the ability to send game and stat updates via e-mail, Facebook, and Twitter. All streaming video is available over both Wi-Fi and 3G connections. NBA League Pass Mobile is available now from the App Store and sells for $40.
- Report: Apple still missing key music streaming deals in time for WWDC debut
- Apple TV adds Shomi, CraveTV channels in Canada
- Apple TV adds CBS Sports, USA Now channels
- GE’s intelligent LED lightbulbs will work with HomeKit
- Apple releases band design guidelines for Apple Watch
- New Apple TV remote to have touchpad
- Report: New 12.9” iPad will feature Force Touch, Bluetooth stylus, NFC
- Apple asking music labels to kill Spotify’s free streaming tier
- Apple updates support article confirming Apple Watch tattoo issue
- Apple reportedly hires four more producers from BBC Radio 1
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Mobee Technology Magic Case 6 for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Skech SkechBook for iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Yurbuds Liberty Wireless Earphones
- Apple Watch
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?