Mix: Apple patents iTunes Tagging, Backup Disabler, App Store stats
A recently published Apple patent applications suggests the company intends to patent the process for iTunes Tagging, currently a feature on select HD Radio-equipped, iPod-docking accessories. The patent goes beyond the current implementation, however, describing the tagging of TV broadcasts, points of interest (using GPS-provided latitude and longitude coordinates), stores selling an item mentioned in an advertisement, and more. As with all Apple patents, this filing does not necessarily represent any future product release from Apple, but offers evidence of the company’s research in this area.
TwelvePin has released Backup Disabler, a new iTunes utility for Mac OS X. Backup Disabler allows users to turn off iTunes 7.7’s backup feature for the iPhone and iPod touch. The application also allows this functionality to be restored, both with a single click. Backup Disabler 1.1 is available now as a free download from MacUpdate.
Apple is now providing App Store developers with daily download stats, according to a Mac Rumors report. Previously, developers had to wait until the first of the Store’s monthly reports to arrive, making it difficult for developers to gauge demand and adjust pricing accordingly. Originally, download numbers for each App Store application were provided on the app’s page, but Apple quickly removed these listings. Mac Rumors notes that some developers have already started making pricing adjustments to their apps, with Pangea Software dropping the price on its Cro-Mag Rally racing game from $9.99 to $5.99.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Store returns, begins taking iPad pre-orders
- Apple updates Pages, Numbers, Keynote for iCloud Drive
- Belkin announces QODE keyboards for iPad Air 2
- Apple introduces Apple SIM, multi-carrier cellular SIM card
- New iPad Smart Cases, Covers shown for iPad Air 2
- Apple unveils iPad mini 3, renames Retina iPad mini to iPad mini 2
- Apple debuts iPad Air 2
- iPad stats: 225 million sold, 675,000 apps
- Apple formally debuts iTunes 12 after three months of betas
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini
- IK Multimedia iRig Pads MIDI Groove Controller
- Hex Icon Wallet and Solo Wallet for iPhone 6
- SwitchEasy 0.35, LifePocket + Numbers for iPhone 6
- GE Link Connected LED Bulb + Wink Hub
- Belkin Qode Ultimate Pro Keyboard Case for iPad Air
- Uniq Aircraft Clear for iPhone 6
- STM Harbour for iPhone 6 Plus
- Odoyo Quad360 and QuadMax for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig MIDI 2
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers