Mix: Apple patents iTunes Tagging, Backup Disabler, App Store stats
A recently published Apple patent applications suggests the company intends to patent the process for iTunes Tagging, currently a feature on select HD Radio-equipped, iPod-docking accessories. The patent goes beyond the current implementation, however, describing the tagging of TV broadcasts, points of interest (using GPS-provided latitude and longitude coordinates), stores selling an item mentioned in an advertisement, and more. As with all Apple patents, this filing does not necessarily represent any future product release from Apple, but offers evidence of the company’s research in this area.
TwelvePin has released Backup Disabler, a new iTunes utility for Mac OS X. Backup Disabler allows users to turn off iTunes 7.7’s backup feature for the iPhone and iPod touch. The application also allows this functionality to be restored, both with a single click. Backup Disabler 1.1 is available now as a free download from MacUpdate.
Apple is now providing App Store developers with daily download stats, according to a Mac Rumors report. Previously, developers had to wait until the first of the Store’s monthly reports to arrive, making it difficult for developers to gauge demand and adjust pricing accordingly. Originally, download numbers for each App Store application were provided on the app’s page, but Apple quickly removed these listings. Mac Rumors notes that some developers have already started making pricing adjustments to their apps, with Pangea Software dropping the price on its Cro-Mag Rally racing game from $9.99 to $5.99.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Report: Apple TV relaunch not coming this year
- Report: Apple eliminating positions of some Beats employees
- Russian government seeks Apple source code
- Square announces new Reader for chip cards
- Apple TV adds FOX Now, CNBC channels
- Popular Bitcoin wallet app Blockchain returns to App Store
- Report: Apple Stores to support carrier early iPhone upgrade programs
- Report: Apple buying talk radio app Swell
- Congress passes bill to legalize phone unlocking
- Bose sues Beats over noise-canceling patents
- Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks