Mix: Apple patents iTunes Tagging, Backup Disabler, App Store stats
A recently published Apple patent applications suggests the company intends to patent the process for iTunes Tagging, currently a feature on select HD Radio-equipped, iPod-docking accessories. The patent goes beyond the current implementation, however, describing the tagging of TV broadcasts, points of interest (using GPS-provided latitude and longitude coordinates), stores selling an item mentioned in an advertisement, and more. As with all Apple patents, this filing does not necessarily represent any future product release from Apple, but offers evidence of the company’s research in this area.
TwelvePin has released Backup Disabler, a new iTunes utility for Mac OS X. Backup Disabler allows users to turn off iTunes 7.7’s backup feature for the iPhone and iPod touch. The application also allows this functionality to be restored, both with a single click. Backup Disabler 1.1 is available now as a free download from MacUpdate.
Apple is now providing App Store developers with daily download stats, according to a Mac Rumors report. Previously, developers had to wait until the first of the Store’s monthly reports to arrive, making it difficult for developers to gauge demand and adjust pricing accordingly. Originally, download numbers for each App Store application were provided on the app’s page, but Apple quickly removed these listings. Mac Rumors notes that some developers have already started making pricing adjustments to their apps, with Pangea Software dropping the price on its Cro-Mag Rally racing game from $9.99 to $5.99.
- Some Apple Music and iTunes Match services may be illegal in the U.K.
- Australian banks accused of anti-competitive behavior over Apple Pay lockout
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?