Mix: Apple Q2, iTunes video problems, Sony buys Gracenote, Apple buys P.A. Semi
Apple will report its results for the second fiscal quarter 2008 later this afternoon, and will also offer a webcast of the conference call discussing the results that will begin at 5pm EDT.
A number of fifth-generation iPod users are reporting playback problems with some recently-released TV episodes from the iTunes Store. According to several users in a lengthy Apple Support discussion thread, the offending episodes transfer to other iPods correctly, and can be played in iTunes and on other video-capable Apple products, but not on fifth-generation iPod models. [via AppleInsider]
Sony Corporation of America has announced its acquisition of Gracenote, Inc. for approximately $260 million. Gracenote, formerly known as CDDB, powers iTunes’ “Get CD Track Names” feature, and also provides services to Yahoo! Music jukebox, Winamp, and products from Alpine, Panasonic, Sony, and others.
Apple has confirmed an agreement to purchase microprocessor design firm P.A. Semi. The 150-person company is known for its design of sophisticated, low-power chips, and is said to have been purchased for around $278 million in cash. Though there has been speculation that the acquisition is intended to provide a new iPhone processor, and the company’s patent and design portfolios may eventually aid in pocket-sized products, P.A. Semi’s past work has focused on chips best suited to laptops. Apple spokesman Steve Dowling told Forbes, “Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not comment on our purposes and plans.”
- Apple now accepting all Apple Watch app submissions
- Apple hires former Dolby executive
- ITC to investigate Apple over Ericsson complaints
- Apple Q2 earnings call coming April 27
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
- Apple Watch won’t be sold to walk-in customers at launch
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?