Mix: Apple Q2, iTunes video problems, Sony buys Gracenote, Apple buys P.A. Semi
Apple will report its results for the second fiscal quarter 2008 later this afternoon, and will also offer a webcast of the conference call discussing the results that will begin at 5pm EDT.
A number of fifth-generation iPod users are reporting playback problems with some recently-released TV episodes from the iTunes Store. According to several users in a lengthy Apple Support discussion thread, the offending episodes transfer to other iPods correctly, and can be played in iTunes and on other video-capable Apple products, but not on fifth-generation iPod models. [via AppleInsider]
Sony Corporation of America has announced its acquisition of Gracenote, Inc. for approximately $260 million. Gracenote, formerly known as CDDB, powers iTunes’ “Get CD Track Names” feature, and also provides services to Yahoo! Music jukebox, Winamp, and products from Alpine, Panasonic, Sony, and others.
Apple has confirmed an agreement to purchase microprocessor design firm P.A. Semi. The 150-person company is known for its design of sophisticated, low-power chips, and is said to have been purchased for around $278 million in cash. Though there has been speculation that the acquisition is intended to provide a new iPhone processor, and the company’s patent and design portfolios may eventually aid in pocket-sized products, P.A. Semi’s past work has focused on chips best suited to laptops. Apple spokesman Steve Dowling told Forbes, “Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not comment on our purposes and plans.”
- Apple exploring person-to-person Apple Pay transactions?
- Report: iPhone 6S to get 12MP camera, 4K video recording?
- Report: New iPhone 6S LTE chip could ‘double’ download speeds
- Cue: New iOS 9 beta coming next week
- iTunes 12.2 release includes support for Apple Music
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- Apple Music makes subscriptions available through carriers, adds iCloud Music Library
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 21
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?