MIx: Apple Support, Foxconn, iOS gaming, App rejections
Apple has revamped its former Support Discussions section, renaming it Apple Support Communities. The new support section divides the discussion and question threads into “communities” based on certain products, offers the ability to track community activity via email or RSS, the ability to “Like” posts, the ability to see correct and/or helpful answers without needing to dig through an entire thread, and more. The new section can be accessed by visiting discussions.apple.com.
Apple has added Chimei Innolux, an affiliate of the Foxconn Technology Group, as a third supplier for touchscreen sensors for the iPad 2, according to a new report. Citing two people familiar with the matter, Bloomberg reports that Innolux will begin supplying the components next month, joining TPK Holdings and Wintek, who will remain Apple’s key suppliers for the sensors. Notably, Foxconn is also the assembler of both the iPad and iPhone.
Former Apple iPhone Game Technologies team member Graeme Devine has made several comments regarding the state of iOS gaming. Speaking in an interview with Business Insider, Devine said with a chuckle that he “can’t talk so much” about Apple’s future plans, but said that Apple is serious about gaming on iOS. “Apple is clearly focused on gaming. A lot of people say Apple doesn’t get gaming, but Apple has probably the most popular gaming device on the planet right now, and that doesn’t happen by accident,” said Devine. “Apple is intensely focused on gaming and intensely aware of it. Every ad for the iPod Touch only shows games; no running music.” Devine, who left the company in December 2010 to start his own studio, added that it “would be crazy cool” if Apple decided to expand the Apple TV’s reach into the gaming segment.
Apple is cracking down on applications using pay-per-install marketing campaigns, according to a new report. Citing Tapjoy, developers of a number of such apps, GigaOM reports that a number of developers have recently seen their apps rejected because they were running incentivized app installs, in which developers pay to have their app installed in other apps, including offering virtual currency in exchange for app downloads. Tapjoy speculates that Apple may be using section 3.10 of the developer program agreement to justify the rejections; the section states, “[d]evelopers who attempt to manipulate or cheat the user reviews or chart ranking in the App Store with fake or paid reviews, or any other inappropriate methods will be removed from the iOS Developer Program.”
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?