Mix: Apple traffic, Duke, Soda can cradle, Comedy Festival | iLounge News

Mix: Apple traffic, Duke, Soda can cradle, Comedy Festival

Apple saw a 172 percent increase in traffic to its Web site Sunday thanks to Pepsi’s iTunes commercials that aired during the Super Bowl.

By late March or early April, Duke university will decide whether to continue the iPod pilot program with a new crop of freshmen next year, said Lynne O’Brien, director of the Duke Center for Instructional Technology, which is overseeing the experiment. “It’s going very well,” she said.

John Hartnup has posted a tutorial on how to make an iPod cradle that fits into a car cupholder out of nothing more than two soda cans.

Talking Panda Software has released a program guide to the U.S. Comedy Arts Festival designed specifically for the iPod.

« ‘Military-like’ protective case for iPods announced

Noreve unveils leather cases for iPod, iPod mini »

Comments

Uhh…Wouldn’t aluminum cans have a high potential for scratching the iPod?

And I still don’t see why Duke freshman should get iPods. This is a case, IMO, where a Pocket PC or Palm device would be better suited for distribution.

Posted by Cameron T. on February 8, 2005 at 1:42 PM (CST)

a pocket pc or palm device, while maybe more educationaly practical,  isn’t nearly as good of a recruiting tool as an ipod

Posted by ACLeroK212 on February 8, 2005 at 2:10 PM (CST)

Point taken; didn’t consider that.

Posted by Cameron T. on February 8, 2005 at 5:13 PM (CST)

I will have nightmares about can-edges on my iPod now!

But I won’t judge. My home-made car holder is safe, but far uglier!

Posted by Nagromme on February 8, 2005 at 7:56 PM (CST)

I too don’t understand why Duke U students got iPods in the first place. Are times that tough in the admissions office that they have to basically bribe kids to go to their school with iPods? Jesus.

And, yes, a PPC would have been a FAR better and more functional tool than an iPod. I personally own TWO PPC’s, a Dell Axim X3i with intergrated WiFi and a Dell Axim X30 High with intergated WiFi and Bluetooth. I can tell you right now that both of those PPC’s have a million times more functionality than an iPod, and yes, I own an iPod too.

Don’t get me wrong, the iPod is GREAT at what it does: play music, extremely limited PIM functionality and storage of files. That’s it… so why in God’s name are they handing out iPods if someone isn’t majoring in Music??

As for the “iCup”-holder: I think it’s very cool, but I’d personally cover all the edges in black masking tape or use it in conjunction with a case. Personally, I wouldn’t put my neekid iPod in there even though I see the maker bent down the edges, still, we ALL know how easily the iPod scratches… just take an extra precaustion is all I’m saying. :)

Posted by FallN in New York, NY on February 8, 2005 at 9:51 PM (CST)

Really wanting the last two minutes of my life back…

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on February 9, 2005 at 8:32 AM (CST)

my ipod dock recently stopped working so i’ll have to give that can dock a try.  thanks!

Posted by OMGWTFSTFU in United States on February 9, 2005 at 11:53 AM (CST)