Mix: Apple TV, iPhone apps, Ringtones, USA Today
A patch has been released that enables the Apple TV to boot from its internal drive, but use an external USB drive as primary storage. The hack requires a ssh-enabled Apple TV, an Intel-based Mac or Unix system, an installed version of Mac OS X 10.4 for Intel, an original, unmodified copy of the “mach_kernel.prelink” file from the Apple TV, and an external USB drive formatted using “Journaled HFS+.”
A system preference file found in the iPhone’s firmware lists several applications, including unit converter, translation, world clock, and radio, that aren’t currently on the handset. It is unknown whether these listings are placeholders for future iPhone applications.
Erica Sadun from TUAW has written a brief tutorial explaining how to create iPhone ringtones from iTunes Store preview clips. The procedure requires access to the iPhone’s file system.
USA Today has listed Apple CEO Steve Jobs at number three on its list of the Top 25 Most influential business leaders of the last 25 years. Ahead of Jobs on the list are Microsoft’s Bill Gates and former Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan.
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
- Apple Watch won’t be sold to walk-in customers at launch
- Cook: ‘Religious freedom’ laws allowing discrimination are dangerous
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?