Mix: Apple TV, iPhone apps, Ringtones, USA Today
A patch has been released that enables the Apple TV to boot from its internal drive, but use an external USB drive as primary storage. The hack requires a ssh-enabled Apple TV, an Intel-based Mac or Unix system, an installed version of Mac OS X 10.4 for Intel, an original, unmodified copy of the “mach_kernel.prelink” file from the Apple TV, and an external USB drive formatted using “Journaled HFS+.”
A system preference file found in the iPhone’s firmware lists several applications, including unit converter, translation, world clock, and radio, that aren’t currently on the handset. It is unknown whether these listings are placeholders for future iPhone applications.
Erica Sadun from TUAW has written a brief tutorial explaining how to create iPhone ringtones from iTunes Store preview clips. The procedure requires access to the iPhone’s file system.
USA Today has listed Apple CEO Steve Jobs at number three on its list of the Top 25 Most influential business leaders of the last 25 years. Ahead of Jobs on the list are Microsoft’s Bill Gates and former Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan.
- Report: iOS 9 will bring new security features, improve legacy device support
- Report: Apple’s push for local content may delay Apple’s TV service
- Adobe dropping Photoshop Touch in favor of more focused apps
- Report: Dual app viewing, multiple logins coming to iPad
- Transit coming to Apple Maps in iOS 9?
- Apple and IBM expand MobileFirst apps to Apple Watch
- Report: Pebble facing financial struggles?
- iOS 9 to include new Home app for HomeKit?
- Report: Apple to bring Apple Watch font to iOS 9
- Leak reveals Flow by Outlook, a Microsoft email messaging app for iPhone
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?