Mix: Apple TV, iPhone apps, Ringtones, USA Today
A patch has been released that enables the Apple TV to boot from its internal drive, but use an external USB drive as primary storage. The hack requires a ssh-enabled Apple TV, an Intel-based Mac or Unix system, an installed version of Mac OS X 10.4 for Intel, an original, unmodified copy of the “mach_kernel.prelink” file from the Apple TV, and an external USB drive formatted using “Journaled HFS+.”
A system preference file found in the iPhone’s firmware lists several applications, including unit converter, translation, world clock, and radio, that aren’t currently on the handset. It is unknown whether these listings are placeholders for future iPhone applications.
Erica Sadun from TUAW has written a brief tutorial explaining how to create iPhone ringtones from iTunes Store preview clips. The procedure requires access to the iPhone’s file system.
USA Today has listed Apple CEO Steve Jobs at number three on its list of the Top 25 Most influential business leaders of the last 25 years. Ahead of Jobs on the list are Microsoft’s Bill Gates and former Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apps of the Week: Sago Mini Road Trip, Football Manager Handheld 2015, Deliveries 6.0 + more
- Square plans to accept Apple Pay in 2015
- Google settles patent litigation with Apple’s Rockstar consortium
- Corning announces Gorilla Glass 4
- Report: GT Advanced struggled with sapphire production
- Report: Apple plans to integrate Beats Music directly into iOS
- Apple plans to ‘repurpose’ Arizona manufacturing plant, save jobs
- Apple announces WatchKit software tools available to developers now
- Apple ordered to pay $23.6M in pager technology settlement
- Apple opens up Lightning port to third-party manufacturers, begins accepting HomeKit plans
- G-Project G-Go Outdoor Wireless Speaker (2014)
- SteelSeries Stratus XL Gaming Controller
- Belkin/Jarden Mr. Coffee 10-Cup Smart Coffeemaker
- Logitech Keys-to-Go For iPad
- IvySkin Renegade for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Infinity Infinity One Wireless Speaker
- Twelve South PlugBug World iPad/iPhone Charger
- Pelican Protector for iPhone 6 and Voyager for iPhone 6 Plus
- STM Flip for iPhone 6
- Griffin Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0