Mix: Apple TV, Online videos, Odeo, iPhone sales | iLounge News

Mix: Apple TV, Online videos, Odeo, iPhone sales

The Apple TV streaming media device could be a DVD killer, according to one analyst. “It’s conceivable” that the device could carve out 20 to 30 percent of the $26 billion DVD market in a few years, said Deutsche Bank analyst Chris Whitmore.

Annual consumer spending on movie and TV downloads will top $4 billion in 2011, up from $111 million last year, according to a study by Adams Media Research. “The Internet is going to revolutionize the distribution of video,” says the firm.

Podcasting and online audio service Odeo is up for sale. “In the last few months, we here at Obvious have been increasingly focused on Twitter. As a result, our original product, Odeo, has not gotten the attention it deserves,” the company said.

Following a meeting with Apple executives, Prudential Equity Group analysts said the company expects most of its future iPhone sales to happen at its retail stores where consumers can be shown the device’s features.

« Apple 2G iPod shuffle wins design award

Speck intros SeeThru Lucid case for 2G iPod nano »

Comments

“The Apple TV streaming media device could be a DVD killer”

Here we go again.

This is so utterly ridiculous for at least two reasons.  First of all, the number of iTunes users is limited.  Next, the number of people that buy enough video to justify this is further limited.  Lastly, the number of iTunes users that buy enough video and have no other way to get it to the TV screen is an even smaller subset.

It doesn’t do DivX.  It doesn’t do WMV.  There are literally a couple of dozen product on the market that already transport your video off the computer to your TV via streaming.  They have more features and aren’t locked to iTunes.  The only way this device could “kill” DVD is if Steve Jobs went on a 50 state rampage, murdering every human that had the capability to burn a DVD and then destroyed all existing technology capable of creating and playing back DVD.

There is nothing worse than tech analysts, I swear.  They literally just want to see themselves in the papers.

Posted by stark23x on February 22, 2007 at 5:23 PM (CST)

Stark23X,

You are my hero.

Posted by Sapporobaby on February 22, 2007 at 5:29 PM (CST)

This isn’t just about selling episodes of Lost and Desperate Housewives.

The video podcasting revolution will just absolutaly explode when people realize they can produce content for big screen TV’s via the iTunes distribution platform.

Posted by Jughead on February 22, 2007 at 7:27 PM (CST)

I agree that Apple TV won’t kill DVDs, just as iTunes music sales and the iPod haven’t killed CDs. However, I disagree that the fact that it is impossible or unlikely that Apple TV might become widespread. Remember in 2001-‘02 when only a relatively small number of people owned mp3 players, and a much smaller number owned iPods? When Apple introduced the iPod there were already dozens of mp3 players on the market, which weren’t locked into iTunes (or any other proprietary service…and yes, I remember the iPod wasn’t initially locked into the iTMS either since it didn’t exist).

Look at today…several million iPod users, the iPod has done what no other mp3 player did back then, and now mp3 players in general are widespread, not just the iPod. In 2001 an iPod user would be a computer nerd, today its a popular item for masses of “popular” people. Who says the same can’t happen with Apple TV? I understand the dynamics of these two products are different, but just remember that many people said the same thing about the iPod just 5 1/2 years ago…and Steve Jobs didn’t have to murder any Creative users in order for the iPod to realize success.

Posted by CrRider075 on February 22, 2007 at 7:30 PM (CST)

I agree that AppleTV won’t kill DVD’s. But take a different approach to a couple of interesting issues. First the available bandwidth to the average end user is increasing and is costing less. HDTV broadcast is available in many areas and the Blue-Ray, HD-DVD format war will spell the end of the end users need to choose which is best. I’ll download the HD movies I want or record HDTV with my TiVo and keep a library of the show’s I like. Or even better my Music, Movies and other media will exist on the web in a low cost secure archive that I only have access to.
If AppleTV becomes a gateway to my media weather it’s local on my Mac or on the web, all the more simplistic for me to watch or listen to what I want when I want.

Cheers!

KJ

Posted by KillJoy on February 22, 2007 at 8:15 PM (CST)

I rarely buy DVDs anymore, because it just makes more sense to rent them from Blockbuster Online.  Would I prefer to download them from iTunes as part of a rental service?  Who wouldn’t?
I do have a few hundred DVDs I would like to access with Apple TV but that is easier said than done.  I will definitely be using it to access my lossless music library.  I’ve owned an HDTV for 18 months, and I can’t stand to watch anything less than DVD quality, so I hope Apple will eventually offer 720P TV shows. If that is the case, then I would probably turn off my DirecTV service.  Buying seasons of TV shows is not all that different from a Season Pass on TiVo.  Buying 6-8 shows if a whole lot cheaper than $70/month for satellite service.  A device like Apple TV may not light the world on fire today, but give it a few years.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on February 22, 2007 at 8:49 PM (CST)

The big thing for me that would limit the Apple TV’s ability to be a DVD killer for me is easy of transport.  I can watch my DVDs at lots of other TVs beside the one near the computer.  I take my DVDs to the houses of friends and family and watch them with no problem.  I can borrow them to others to watch.  The Apple TV would vastly limit this ability, and right now would probably be more trouble than it is worth.

Posted by lebkin on February 23, 2007 at 9:03 AM (CST)

Stupid. It will be impossible for the AppleTV to take off in even the next few years.  You need a widescreen TV for it!  The majority of Americans don’t own or buy widescreen TVs let alone HD.  I’d I have bought AppleTV the day it came out if the dang thing worked on 4:3 SD screen.

Posted by superape on February 23, 2007 at 1:36 PM (CST)

I totally agree with superape.

Posted by Toenuts on February 23, 2007 at 1:59 PM (CST)

I’d say Apple TV is more of a threat to cable TV.  If I buy the shows I always watch (The Office, 30 Rock, Daily Show, Colbert Report) it’s actually cheaper than having a monthly cable subscription.

I’d still have some cash left over for a few impulse buys (replacing channel surfing) and trying out new shows.  That way though I’m not paying for local news in cities I don’t live in, and still get over the air reception for local news and sports.

Posted by Jeffery Simpson on February 25, 2007 at 2:17 PM (CST)

with the Apple TV becoming available soon, I can’t wait. I think it will definitely challenge DVD sales.

Posted by Shane on February 26, 2007 at 9:22 AM (CST)