Mix: Apple Wireless, iPod PC case, Dr. Bott, Download trends
Forbes says that Apple might be looking to become a phone company as a “mobile virtual network operator” or MVNO. “The solution could be for Apple to launch its own cellular network, doing an end run around carriers and providing the company with revenue from both selling phone handsets and from the resale of cellular service.”
Japanese PC case maker Scythe has “come up with a design to cash in on iPod mania among Windows users: an all-white unit that mimics the player’s click wheel with its control and LED layout,” reports The Register. [via Gizmodo]
The Oregonian has a profile of Eric Prentice, chief executive officer of Dr. Bott, a large Macintosh and iPod accessory distributor. “Today, he heads a company with 35 employees in an 18,000-square-foot office in Wilsonville. Annual sales top $20 million. The key to his success [is] the wildly popular iPod.”
To coincide with its 10th anniversary, CNET has posted its list of the top 10 trends in downloading over the last decade. iTunes came in at No. 6, with icq, Winamp, Napster, Firefox and Winzip rounding out the top 5.
- Notes from Apple’s Q2 2015 earnings call
- Apple Q2 2015: Record $58B revenue, 61.1M iPhones, 12.6M iPads
- Apple releases second iOS 8.4 beta to developers
- Major hospital links HealthKit data to patient records
- Apple Pay adds Discover cards
- Apple enables iTunes donations for Nepal earthquake
- Apple’s third-generation Siri built on Mesos platform
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- Apple Watch
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?