Mix: Artist apps, Canada, iPhone 2.2 + Podcasts
As expected, rock group Snow Patrol has released a free iPhone and iPod touch application as a companion to their new album A Hundred Million Suns. The new app offers lyrics, videos, and links, hidden inside origami stars (as seen on the album cover) which need to be opened using two-finger gestures. In addition, the artist Pink has also released a free application, Pink’s Funhouse, which offers previews of her new album, artist news, images, and more. Both apps are available now from the App Store.
New legislation introduced in Canada this week would make it illegal to use your iPod while driving. Under Ontario’s proposed “distracted driving law,” drivers who use their cell phones or portable DVD and media players would face fines of up to $500. Transportation Minister Jim Bradley called the fines “significant,” adding, “If I want to change stations on the radio ... I can do so; that is not prohibited. But if I were holding a hand-held device and did that, I would be in trouble.”
An alleged screenshot from the latest beta version of iPhone Software 2.2 suggests that Apple is preparing to enable user to download podcasts directly to the iPhone or iPod touch. The inclusion of such a feature might explain the rejection of the app Podcaster, which Apple said duplicated “the functionality of the Podcast section of iTunes.”
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for August giveaway
- Apple to add 3X Retina Display support to iPhone 6?
- iPhone 6 logic board leak shows NFC, A8 chips
- Massive report reveals Apple’s PR strategies
- iWatch not shipping until 2015?
- Report: Dutch chipmaker NXP to provide iPhone 6 NFC chips
- Video Review: Parrot’s Jumping Sumo and Rolling Spider
- Apps of the Week: Hyperlapse, BioShock, Asphalt 8 1.5 + more
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- Report: iPhone 6 to feature NFC mobile payments
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today