Mix: AT&T 3G, iPlayer, Survey, Speck discount
AT&T has announced that it will complete its rollout of High Speed Uplink Packet Access (HSUPA) technology in its current 3G markets by the end of June, and will use the technology in all future deployments as it expands its 3G coverage to more markets by the end of the year. HSUPA technology will offer users uplink speeds between 500 and 800 Kbps, complementing existing High Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA) technology, which offers download speeds of up to 1.4 Mbps. [via RedEye]
The BBC has revealed that its BBC iPlayer reached 1.4 million average weekly users in April, up from 1.1 million in March. Notably, three percent of those were iPhone or iPod touch users, suggesting that an average of 42,000 iPhone and iPod touch users accessed the site weekly in April. The service is limited to iPhone and iPod touch users based in the U.K.
A new survey by Rubicon Consulting shows that nearly half (47%) of iPhone users changed carriers in order to use the device, and on average pay $19 more per month for cellular service after the purchase of the iPhone. “The numbers are big enough that clearly this thing is profitable for AT&T,” Michael Mace, a principal at Rubicon, told the New York Times. “The big financial leverage is on the people who switch carriers. It’s not like you have to add new cell towers for them; they’re almost all profit. And those people are hard to come by, because you have to switch them off somebody else’s network.”
Speck Products is now offering all its first-generation iPhone accessories for 50% off. The discount includes the ToughSkin, SeeThru, Holster Pro, SkinPro, TransPort, ArmorSkin, Classic, and Runner cases. In addition, using the code “speck75” at checkout adds another 25% percent discount to the already half-off items. Offer end date unknown. [Thanks to everyone who sent this in.]
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Apple Watch to have low energy ‘Power Reserve’ mode
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?