Mix: AT&T 3G, iPlayer, Survey, Speck discount
AT&T has announced that it will complete its rollout of High Speed Uplink Packet Access (HSUPA) technology in its current 3G markets by the end of June, and will use the technology in all future deployments as it expands its 3G coverage to more markets by the end of the year. HSUPA technology will offer users uplink speeds between 500 and 800 Kbps, complementing existing High Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA) technology, which offers download speeds of up to 1.4 Mbps. [via RedEye]
The BBC has revealed that its BBC iPlayer reached 1.4 million average weekly users in April, up from 1.1 million in March. Notably, three percent of those were iPhone or iPod touch users, suggesting that an average of 42,000 iPhone and iPod touch users accessed the site weekly in April. The service is limited to iPhone and iPod touch users based in the U.K.
A new survey by Rubicon Consulting shows that nearly half (47%) of iPhone users changed carriers in order to use the device, and on average pay $19 more per month for cellular service after the purchase of the iPhone. “The numbers are big enough that clearly this thing is profitable for AT&T,” Michael Mace, a principal at Rubicon, told the New York Times. “The big financial leverage is on the people who switch carriers. It’s not like you have to add new cell towers for them; they’re almost all profit. And those people are hard to come by, because you have to switch them off somebody else’s network.”
Speck Products is now offering all its first-generation iPhone accessories for 50% off. The discount includes the ToughSkin, SeeThru, Holster Pro, SkinPro, TransPort, ArmorSkin, Classic, and Runner cases. In addition, using the code “speck75” at checkout adds another 25% percent discount to the already half-off items. Offer end date unknown. [Thanks to everyone who sent this in.]
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?