Mix: AT&T v. Verizon, Phone-O-Scope, Mirror’s Edge, IKEA
AT&T and Verizon Wireless have dropped their advertising-related lawsuits against one another. AT&T filed suit against Verizon in early November, claiming that their “map for that” ads were “misleading;” later in the month the company received a setback in the case when the judge denied an initial request from AT&T to force Verizon to pull the commercials from the airwaves. Apple later got involved in the dispute between the two rival carriers in a non-legal manner with a new series of iPhone 3GS commercials highlighting the fact that AT&T’s 3G network allows for data access while on a call, something that Verizon can’t offer due to its different network technology.
ILM research engineer Bhautik Joshi has created the “Phone-O-Scope,” a way of attaching an SLR lens to an iPhone. Joshi’s modification uses a number of components, including magnification lenses from the laser pickup of a CD player, a hard iPhone case, PVC pipe connectors, an old end lens cap, and duct tape. The end result is capable of accepting multiple different lenses, just like an SLR camera, and produces interesting “fuzzy, Holga-like images.” A complete how-to for building the mod is available on Joshi’s site.
EA has announced that it will be bringing its action adventure game Mirror’s Edge to the iPhone. Highlighted in an iLounge Backstage article in May 2008 and subsequently released on PC and home consoles, the game mixes free-running and Parkour-like acrobatics with more common action sequences. While few details are available on the iPhone version, it is known that it will offer a third-person view, 3D graphics, “dynamic camera angles,” and 14 levels. Mirror’s Edge is slated for release in January 2010.
Swedish home retailer IKEA is set to launch an iPhone-formatted version of its 2010 catalog in the U.K. tomorrow, and will actively be seeking feedback on the app. According to text found on the app’s sneak peek YouTube video, the company “plans to quickly improve and develop the app but only in conjunction with customers who choose to download it. Customers are invited to add their thoughts and opinions on how it can be improved, in order to produce an app that works the most intuitively.” Feedback channels are listed on the YouTube video page; the app will be a free download.
- Mix: EU iPhone Preorders, In-Cell Patent, Jobs’ Home Theft
- Mix: iCloud suit, iTunes TOS, Airplane Crash, iPad at Saks
- Mix: Air Guitar, Infinite Loop, Tardis Case, Loop Nano
- Mix: iPad 3, Semiconductors, Foxconn, 2011 ADAs
- Mix: Universal, iCloud icon, Apple retail, The Beatles
- Mix: Explosion, France Telecom, Freescale, Samsung
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apps: ABC Aquarium, Disney Jr. Appisodes, Pinterest 2.4 + Pocket Informant Pro 3.0
- Report: iOS 7 could see Flickr, Vimeo integration
- Apple CEO Cook testifies on taxes, faces Senate critics
- Google Play Music All Access to get iOS app support?
- Senate subcommittee accuses Apple of tax avoidance
- AT&T: All video chat apps will work over cellular in 2013
- Apple releases testimony before CEO’s Senate appearance
- New Apple offers in India can reduce iPhone price
- Report: Apple testing 1.5” OLED displays for iWatch
- Song skipping terms slowing iRadio negotiations
- Mophie Juice Pack Plus for iPhone 5
- Ultimate Ears UE Boom
- Trü Protection Trü-Fit Anti-Glare Film Set
- New Trent iCarrier IMP120D Dual USB Power Pack
- BlueFlame 2M Charge and Sync Cable with Lightning Connector
- HMDX Jam Party Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Speaker
- Logitech Harmony Ultimate Universal Remote Control
- MyCharge Freedom 2000 Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Nike Nike+ FuelBand
- OCDesk OCDock for iPhone 5
- Calendar info disappears after iCloud restore
- Remove old iCloud backup after restoring to a new iPhone
- Setting up a ringtone in iTunes
- Using a Wi-Fi hard drive with an iPad
- Backing up and restoring an iPod classic
- Can’t restore iPod touch without passcode
- Retaining older versions of Apps during an iOS Restore
- Can’t eject iPod nano without closing Firefox
- Can’t change iTunes Apple ID to iCloud e-mail address
- Effect of erasing an iPhone on the Find My iPhone feature