Mix: AT&T + Wayport, J.D. Power, Smartphone share, iPhone in Russia
AT&T has announced plans to acquire privately-held Wi-Fi service provider Wayport, Inc. for approximately $275 million in cash. The deal will expand AT&T’s Wi-Fi hotspot portfolio to more than 20,000 locations in the U.S. and more than 80,000 worldwide, including Wyndham, Mariott Vacation Club, and Four Seasons hotels, and select McDonald’s restaurants. AT&T recently announced the launch of free Wi-Fi access for iPhone users.
According to the J.D. Power and Associates 2008 Business Wireless Smartphone Customer Satisfaction Study, Apple ranks highest in overall customer satisfaction among business wireless smartphone users. The study gave Apple a score of 778 out of 1,000 measured across five key factors; Apple did “particularly well” in the ease of operation, physical design and handset feature factors. “With the introduction of the iPhone in 2007, Apple has clearly differentiated itself from the competition in areas that are most important to business smartphone users,” said Kirk Parsons, senior director of wireless services for J.D. Power and Associates. “By making basic applications and features easy to use and providing functionality in a thin, lightweight device, Apple has performed well in exceeding customer expectations.”
Apple placed second in worldwide smartphone marketshare in the third quarter, according to new research from Canalys. The group placed Apple in second in both vendor and OS marketshare, behind only Nokia in phone shipments, which shipped more than 15,485,000 smartphones compared to Apple’s 6,899,010, and behind Symbian in operating system share. Overall, Apple’s iPhone 3G accounted for 17.3 percent of all smartphone shipments worldwide in the third quarter.
iPhone sales in Russia are currently lower than expected, according to a new report. Citing unnamed experts, Pravda reports that only 30,000 iPhone 3Gs have been sold in Russia since the device’s launch nearly a month ago. “iPhone appeared in Russia about a year ago. I wish we could sell it back then,” Dmitry Patratsky, spokesman for Russian cell phone retailer Euroset, said. The report goes on to state that another major Russian retailer, Svyaznoi, said they had sold 10,000 of the phones thus far, with half of those being sold in Moscow.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iPhone 6, 6 Plus unboxing and comparison gallery posted
- iFixit posts teardowns of iPhone 6, 6 Plus
- Apps of the Week: Epic Zen Garden, OmniFocus, Evernote, Pocket + more
- Apple and U2 working on ‘secret project’ to boost music sales
- Apple launches new privacy webpage
- Apple HealthKit not ready for prime time? (Update: Yes)
- First-party Apple apps updated en masse for iOS 8
- Logitech debuts Harmony Living Home line
- Apple TV software updates to 7.0 with Beats Music channel and redesigned look
- New Cook interview provides insight on Apple Watch development
- Spigen F70Q 7000mAh Dual Portable Quick Charger
- Apple Inc. iOS 8
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad mini
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels