Mix: AT&T + Wayport, J.D. Power, Smartphone share, iPhone in Russia
AT&T has announced plans to acquire privately-held Wi-Fi service provider Wayport, Inc. for approximately $275 million in cash. The deal will expand AT&T’s Wi-Fi hotspot portfolio to more than 20,000 locations in the U.S. and more than 80,000 worldwide, including Wyndham, Mariott Vacation Club, and Four Seasons hotels, and select McDonald’s restaurants. AT&T recently announced the launch of free Wi-Fi access for iPhone users.
According to the J.D. Power and Associates 2008 Business Wireless Smartphone Customer Satisfaction Study, Apple ranks highest in overall customer satisfaction among business wireless smartphone users. The study gave Apple a score of 778 out of 1,000 measured across five key factors; Apple did “particularly well” in the ease of operation, physical design and handset feature factors. “With the introduction of the iPhone in 2007, Apple has clearly differentiated itself from the competition in areas that are most important to business smartphone users,” said Kirk Parsons, senior director of wireless services for J.D. Power and Associates. “By making basic applications and features easy to use and providing functionality in a thin, lightweight device, Apple has performed well in exceeding customer expectations.”
Apple placed second in worldwide smartphone marketshare in the third quarter, according to new research from Canalys. The group placed Apple in second in both vendor and OS marketshare, behind only Nokia in phone shipments, which shipped more than 15,485,000 smartphones compared to Apple’s 6,899,010, and behind Symbian in operating system share. Overall, Apple’s iPhone 3G accounted for 17.3 percent of all smartphone shipments worldwide in the third quarter.
iPhone sales in Russia are currently lower than expected, according to a new report. Citing unnamed experts, Pravda reports that only 30,000 iPhone 3Gs have been sold in Russia since the device’s launch nearly a month ago. “iPhone appeared in Russia about a year ago. I wish we could sell it back then,” Dmitry Patratsky, spokesman for Russian cell phone retailer Euroset, said. The report goes on to state that another major Russian retailer, Svyaznoi, said they had sold 10,000 of the phones thus far, with half of those being sold in Moscow.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Cook ‘deeply offended’ by BBC allegations
- BBC investigative report claims Apple fails to protect Chinese workers
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Tim Cook announces $20M raised for (PRODUCT)RED in internal e-mail
- Apple announces 64-bit and iOS 8 requirements for app updates
- Apple ordered to turn over records in Canadian iPhone antitrust probe
- Apple halts online sales in Russia
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
- Apple Pay cards represent 90 percent of US credit purchase volume; Samsung readying rival service
- Apps of the Week: Microsoft’s MSN apps
- STM Dux for iPhone 6
- Kenu Stance Compact Tripod for iPhone
- SwitchEasy Boombox for iPhone 6
- STM Skinny Pro for iPad Air 2
- SwitchEasy Rave for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Wrap for iPhone 6 Plus
- Dog & Bone Wetsuit for iPhone 6
- Belkin Qode Ultimate + Ultimate Pro Keyboard Cases for iPad Air 2
- Evollve Ozobot
- Skech Crystal for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Hard Rubber + Ice for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPad Air 2
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0