Mix: Battery suit, iTunes accessibility, Marware, Future Shop
A lawsuit filed last July against Apple over the limited lifespan of iPhone batteries has been dismissed. Bloomberg reports that U.S. District Judge Matthew F. Kennelly in Chicago granted Apple’s request that the suit be dismissed based on the evidence and the law without a trial — a procedure known as a summary judgment. Though Apple only disclosed the original iPhone’s battery limitations to consumers immediately before the product shipped, “Apple disclosed on the outside of the iPhone package that the” battery has “‘limited recharge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced by Apple service provider,’” Kennelly wrote, quoting the iPhone’s packaging. “Under the circumstances, no reasonable jury could find that deception occurred.” AT&T remains a defendant in the case
The National Federation of the Blind and Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley today announced a cooperative agreement with Apple to make its iTunes software, iTunes Store, and iTunes U more accessible to the blind. Under the agreement, Apple will make iTunes U fully accessible by the end of 2008, and will ensure full accessibility of iTunes and the rest of the iTunes Store by June 30, 2009. In addition, Apple has agreed to contribute $250,000 to the Massachusetts Commission for the Blind to assist the agency in providing adaptive technology to blind residents of Massachusetts. This announcement follows Apple recent releases of iTunes 8 and the fourth-generation iPod nano, both of which feature significant accessibility improvements, and hints that legal action by the State of Massachusetts contributed to Apple’s enhancements to these products.
Marware has introduced its C.E.O. Flip Vue for the second-generation iPod touch. The C.E.O. Flip Vue is a flip-top, form-fitting case made featuring a Nappa leather exterior, microfiber interior, perforated design accents with contrast stitching, elastic sides for a better fit, and full-time access to the headphone jack, dock connector, and volume buttons. It ships with a Multidapt low-profile belt clip, screen protector, and cleaning cloth, and is now available for pre-order for $30.
Canadian electronics retailer Future Shop has announced that it will begin selling the iPhone 3G at select locations across the country on October 1. Previously, the iPhone 3G was only available at Rogers Wireless or Fido stores. Future Shop locations to carry the handset include the Broadway and Robson, Coquitlam Centre, and West Vancouver stores in the Vancouver area, Shawnessy and Northland locations near Calgary, the Edmonton West store, Downtown Toronto, Yonge and Eglinton, Eglinton and Laird, Vaughan, and Heartland locations in the Toronto area, the Ottawa South store, and both the Centreville and Marche Central stores near Montreal.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 2 to developers
- Toyota currently has ‘no plans’ to adopt CarPlay in the US
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- iWalk Rugged Power Case for iPhone 6
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?
- How do I find and remove only downloaded tracks with iTunes Match?