Mix: Best Buy, Nano warning, Netcasts, My Sharona | iLounge News

Mix: Best Buy, Nano warning, Netcasts, My Sharona

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, October 5, 2006
News Categories:

Best Buy will launch a new digital music service with SanDisk and RealNetworks in the latest effort to take on Apple’s iPod and iTunes. “Best Buy, the top U.S. consumer electronics retail chain, said it would use Real’s Rhapsody subscription service. The service is designed to work hand-in-hand with the new line of SanDisk Sansa e200R Rhapsody digital music players.”

The Register has noticed a small warning about iPod nano discoloration. According to the fine print on the second-generation iPod nano’s packaging, “Like a fine pair of jeans, iPod nano colors may vary and change over time.” Apple had similar warnings when the iPod mini was introduced.

Tech broadcaster Leo Laporte believes Apple’s iTunes “was the best thing and the worst thing that ever happened for podcasters.” Laporte wants to change the name of podcasts to “netcasts” and is spending $30K to trademark the name. “The name ‘podcast’ communicates that you need an iPod to listen. When in, fact, you don’t.”

Rock band The Knack has sued several digital music services, including Apple, Yahoo and Amazon, for selling copies of Run DMC’s song “It’s Tricky,” which contains an unauthorized sample of The Knack’s “My Sharona.”

« XtremeMac’s Tango speaker system shipping next month

Starbucks’ Hear Music now on iTunes Store »

Comments

Go Leo, Go!!

Leo is right…the term ‘Podcast’ is misleading to many non-Techie people. Many think they can’t listen to a Podcast unless they have an iPod or iTunes, not realizing it’s usually nothing more then an MP3.
Not to mention, the trademark threat from Apple over the use of the word ‘Pod’
It’s still early enough to make the change to a word like ‘Netcast’ (which I like!).

p.s. My anti-spam word for this post is “yes69” lol…I’m so immature sometimes grin

Posted by jC! on October 5, 2006 at 1:08 PM (PDT)

netcast will never fly, but it’s funny to see him waste money on that.

Re: The Knack: wow the 70s bubblegum bands were even stupider than the ones now…that’s really saying something!

Posted by palindrome on October 5, 2006 at 1:14 PM (PDT)

I despise Apple for their evil soulless corporate nonsense over the word “pod.”  It’s completely out of control.

When are we as consumers going to start doing something about it?

Posted by stark23x on October 5, 2006 at 1:56 PM (PDT)

How about we call it an RSS feed? ahah a-duh.

And why can Run-DMC sell albums with the song on it but no one sues them?  It’s Tricky rocks and My Sharona is lamo! wink

Posted by Xen on October 5, 2006 at 2:06 PM (PDT)

Sandisk make sh!tty mp3 players

Posted by hb on October 5, 2006 at 5:26 PM (PDT)

The terms kleenex, xerox, and google I bet were also misleading when they first came out yet somehow we know that if we are going for a kleenex it is facial tissue, if I xerox something it means I am going to copy it and if I google something I am searching for something.

The reason why the term “podcast” is confusing is because the people it confuses have yet to download a podcast.

Posted by jimgleeson on October 5, 2006 at 8:08 PM (PDT)

In a completely off-topic tirade, (Sorry, I just thought of it): The next iteration of iTunes, be it 7.0.2 or iTunes 8 or iTunes 7.1, should have an update to the “Backup Library” or “Burn to Data Disc” to include copying music and video files to Blu-Ray Discs since Apple backs the Blu-Ray camp.

Posted by Charlie O. on October 5, 2006 at 9:21 PM (PDT)

Stark23X—I don’t think Apple hasn’t copywritten “Podcast”.  In fact, I’m not sure they even coined the term.  “Podcast” rhymes with “broadcast”, which is a clever, oversimplified definition of an RSS feed.  Agreed, they’re kind of getting silly about suing companies who crop up with “pod” in their name, but I for one am not going to give up my iPod because of it.

Xen—Allegedly, the reason The Knack is suing Run-DMC 20 years later is because they claim they never heard “It’s Tricky” until recently.

Posted by PushButtonAction in Atlanta, GA on October 6, 2006 at 7:07 AM (PDT)

Correction…I don’t think Apple has copywritten “Podcast”.

Posted by PushButtonAction in Atlanta, GA on October 6, 2006 at 7:10 AM (PDT)

Wow!  I love the song My Sharona by the Knack.  However since they are going sue happy over a song that could have otherwise promoted their song, I won’t buy their song after all.  I didn’t know It’s Tricky used a sample from their song, but had I known that Run DMC did use a sample from their song, I likely would have considered buying their song too.  Not a good move Knack, your not getting a buck from me.

As for Leo, I’m all for what your doing.  As much as I love my iPod, I hate the name Podcasts.  I’m getting sick of telling people they don’t need an iPod to play “podcasts” as well.  I don’t think it’s too soon to influence a name change at all.

Posted by Phoenixfury in Elkhart, IN on October 6, 2006 at 7:10 AM (PDT)

Names are usually created/changed by the mass populace, not by people who want it to be that way. In fact, if Apple had tried to push the “podcast” name in the same way Microsoft tried to push their “alternative” it probably wouldn’t have caught on.

He should have thought of something cute that has NOTHING to do with “cast” at all, something like NOT-IO for “not radio” or HEAREASY or any one of a number of names that wouldn’t be seen as,“Lets change pod to net”

Posted by KeynoteKen on October 6, 2006 at 8:01 AM (PDT)

“netcast will never fly, but it’s funny to see him waste money on that.”

I agree with you palindrome, but it’s really the taxpayer’s money he’ll be wasting as I am sure he’ll write it off as a business expense or under advertising. Leo’s is just another glory boy…like the rest of them.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on October 6, 2006 at 9:11 AM (PDT)

Say what you will, but “My Sharona” is the greatest pure, rock song of all-time.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on October 6, 2006 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

Well, Leo is right, it does “communicate” that you need an iPod, but then you also gotta consider how many people who would actually listen to a podcast don’t now that you not need an iPod, not many.  I really couldn’t care less about what they call it, but I think it’s a waste of Leo’s time.

To the poster that made the comment about Apple and their trademark work on “pod”, I’d agree that in general the whole patent and trademark think has gotten out of hand, but it has, in large part, b/c companies are infringing, so what’s one to do.  For instance, Apple introduced the “i” Mac, how many non-Apple product have an “i” in front of them now, one could argue that b/c it does have an “i” people thought it was made my Apple…...

iLounge caught on to this a ways back now, it use to be ipodlounge, hmm interestingly, they kept the “i”.

Posted by slider on October 6, 2006 at 3:15 PM (PDT)

Apple hasn’t copywritten “podcast.” They probably haven’t copyrighted it either.

To the poster who said kleenex, xerox, and google were probably confusing at first: It’s a specious argument. Kleenex, Xerox and Google are brand names. When they came along, there were no other products using those words. “Podcast” is confusing because of the pre-existing popularity of the iPod. Both words include the syllable “pod,” and both words have something to do with listening to audio files.

Posted by Mr. Salty on October 7, 2006 at 3:50 PM (PDT)

“I despise Apple for their evil soulless corporate nonsense over the word “pod.” It’s completely out of control.

When are we as consumers going to start doing something about it?”

I’m a firm believer in nagging your Congressional leaders. Clearly it’s time for them to consider measures preventing common words’ being hijacked out of the dictionary.

Posted by Laer on October 8, 2006 at 12:34 AM (PDT)