Mix: Best Buy, Nano warning, Netcasts, My Sharona
Best Buy will launch a new digital music service with SanDisk and RealNetworks in the latest effort to take on Apple’s iPod and iTunes. “Best Buy, the top U.S. consumer electronics retail chain, said it would use Real’s Rhapsody subscription service. The service is designed to work hand-in-hand with the new line of SanDisk Sansa e200R Rhapsody digital music players.”
The Register has noticed a small warning about iPod nano discoloration. According to the fine print on the second-generation iPod nano’s packaging, “Like a fine pair of jeans, iPod nano colors may vary and change over time.” Apple had similar warnings when the iPod mini was introduced.
Tech broadcaster Leo Laporte believes Apple’s iTunes “was the best thing and the worst thing that ever happened for podcasters.” Laporte wants to change the name of podcasts to “netcasts” and is spending $30K to trademark the name. “The name ‘podcast’ communicates that you need an iPod to listen. When in, fact, you don’t.”
Rock band The Knack has sued several digital music services, including Apple, Yahoo and Amazon, for selling copies of Run DMC’s song “It’s Tricky,” which contains an unauthorized sample of The Knack’s “My Sharona.”
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for August giveaway
- Apple to add 3X Retina Display support to iPhone 6?
- iPhone 6 logic board leak shows NFC, A8 chips
- Massive report reveals Apple’s PR strategies
- iWatch not shipping until 2015?
- Report: Dutch chipmaker NXP to provide iPhone 6 NFC chips
- Video Review: Parrot’s Jumping Sumo and Rolling Spider
- Apps of the Week: Hyperlapse, BioShock, Asphalt 8 1.5 + more
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- Report: iPhone 6 to feature NFC mobile payments
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today