Mix: Bob Seger, Music phones, Goombah, Alien Ant Farm | iLounge News

Mix: Bob Seger, Music phones, Goombah, Alien Ant Farm

Bob Seger’s new single “Wait For Me” is now available from the iTunes Music Store, “ending his long holdout from the world of digital music downloads.”

BusinessWeek has a new article on music phones, reporting that “consumers are starting to leave iPods at home in favor of listening to cell phones that store their favorite songs.”

Goombah, the free music discovery iTunes add-on, is now in public beta. Goombah “analyzes your iTunes collection, finds your unique set of matching members who share your taste, and recommends specific tracks that are not in your collection.”

Alien Ant Farm will perform at the Apple retail store in Santa Monica, California on July 20th. Indie band The 88 will perform live at Apple’s Grove store in Los Angeles on July 21st.

« Stores launch Nike+iPod products

Aquadock iPod docking station announced »

Comments

Ugh.  I though Seger was gone forever.

Posted by icantpod on July 13, 2006 at 10:55 AM (CDT)

Goombah - another product built for apple software that miraculously does not run on OSX…

Posted by divigation on July 13, 2006 at 12:41 PM (CDT)

I don’t know what’s a bigger shocker: Bob Seger still being around, or Alien Ant Farm still being around.

Posted by will on July 13, 2006 at 2:18 PM (CDT)

I will never use goombah and hate the company.  They had a private beta a while back… said you could ‘download and install the program’ or something, test it out for a few minutes, take a survey, get money for itunes.  it had some deadline… maybe a few weeks in the future from when it first started.  So i tried it out, there was a connection error UNTIL OR AFTER the deadline, meaning it was all a lie.  what kind of company does this?

Posted by Adam on July 13, 2006 at 4:44 PM (CDT)

Will: Why would you get the impression it doesn’t run on OS X? In fact it has a Cocoa-based OS X version. (It uses a different GUI toolset for the Windows version). The Windows and OS X versions are functionally identical.

Adam: A bunch of people took those surverys and got paid for them—we are unaware of any long condition that would have led to the kind of long-term connection errors you mention—no one else had that problem at least that we know of. Do are you STILL getting connection errors? Others are not, so it would seem to have to be something involving your individual internet connection, though without more info I can’t take much of a guess as to what.

Posted by Gary Robinson on July 13, 2006 at 6:47 PM (CDT)

Oh, I should mention with reference to my comment above, that I’m a founder of the company. Adam, we will make it right for you, if you want to give it another chance. You can email me personally (grobinson at goombah.com) to be sure we straighten it out. The absolute last thing we want is for anyone to feel the kind of frustration you express—that would be idiotic. But others weren’t having problems, and as far as I know you didn’t communicate with us about yours.

Posted by Gary Robinson on July 13, 2006 at 6:57 PM (CDT)

Sweet!  There are some killer Seger tunes that aren’t on either of his Greatest Hits CDs.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on July 13, 2006 at 10:30 PM (CDT)

sweet! i love seger!

Posted by aaron on July 13, 2006 at 10:37 PM (CDT)

Goombah is really cool but I notice it slows my computer significantly when running it. It could be that I have 3000+ songs. (1.67ghz Powerbook).

Posted by Corbet on July 14, 2006 at 6:28 AM (CDT)

Corbert:

a) While we specify 512MB minimum, it can tend to slow down a system with < 768MB, but only while it’s doing its heavy-duty calculations. Once it finds the other people who best match your taste and makes recommendations, it goes into idle mode and should not have a negative affect. It will be in idle mode the vast majority of the time.

b) A 1.67ghz PPC powerbook is more than ample. That’s what I use. I don’t see any system slowdown from running goombah. I do have 2GB RAM—which I would have if I was running Goombah or not because I found even before Goombah existed that that much memory was needed for running the apps I like to use without getting slowdowns.

Posted by Gary Robinson on July 14, 2006 at 9:50 AM (CDT)

has anyone here used goombah before?

i’ve had a lot of success finding new music with pandora.com

Posted by jm on July 14, 2006 at 11:30 AM (CDT)

I have only used Goombah once so far and found some really interesting music.  No problem with downloading or memory on Windows XP.

Posted by Robert Brown on July 14, 2006 at 1:41 PM (CDT)

Ending his long holdout? Who knew he was “holding out”? and what’s more, who cared/cares? He’s been on iTunes for quite a while now. I owned his CD and I put it in my iTunes library a long time ago.

Posted by Charles O. on July 16, 2006 at 7:42 PM (CDT)

I like Pandora as well, although it’s frustrating sometimes when I really love a song by someone so obscure I can’t even find a website for them. (Salvatore. Sigh.)

How does Goombah work with ipods? My library isn’t on my own computer, and so I do all my listening off my ipod; does it take those playcounts properly or, like last.fm, does it require a workaround?

Posted by threemilechild on July 17, 2006 at 3:49 PM (CDT)

Unfortunately Goombah doesn’t work yet for people who store their music only on their iPods (by using the “Manually Manage Songs and Playlists” option). We’ve found that most people choose the convenient “Automatically Update All Songs and Playlists” option (where the music exists both on the computer and on the ipod) and for certain technical reasons we’ve addressed their needs first. But we expect to add the functionality you need in a future release.

Posted by Gary Robinson on July 21, 2006 at 4:46 PM (CDT)