Mix: Bon Jovi, NFC, White iPhone, Japan | iLounge News

Mix: Bon Jovi, NFC, White iPhone, Japan

Aging rocker Jon Bon Jovi has accused Apple CEO Steve Jobs of ‘killing’ the music business. Speaking in an interview with The Sunday Times Magazine, he said, “Kids today have missed the whole experience of putting the headphones on, turning it up to 10, holding the jacket, closing their eyes and getting lost in an album; and the beauty of taking your allowance money and making a decision based on the jacket, not knowing what the record sounded like, and looking at a couple of still pictures and imagining it. God, it was a magical, magical time.” He added, “I hate to sound like an old man now, but I am, and you mark my words, in a generation from now people are going to say: ‘What happened?’ Steve Jobs is personally responsible for killing the music business.”

Update: We’ve penned an Open Letter to Jon Bon Jovi on the topic, which is generating substantial reader interest.

Apple will not be including Near Field Communication (NFC) technology in the next iPhone, according to a new report. Citing sources at several large UK mobile operators, the Independent reports that Apple has disclosed in meetings that it will not offer NFC in its next iPhone. “The new iPhone will not have NFC, Apple told the operators it was concerned by the lack of a clear standard across the industry,” said one source. Apple is reportedly working on incorporating NFC technologies into future iPad and iPhone models, including creating accessories that use NFC to offer additional functionality, and a NFC-based payment system.

Apple Senior Vice President of Worldwide Product Marketing Phil Schiller has confirmed that the white iPhone 4 is on track for a spring release. In reply to a customer inquiry, Schiller wrote on Twitter, “The white iPhone will be available this spring (and it is a beauty!).” Curiously, Schiller didn’t specify that he was speaking about the iPhone 4, but Apple has previously stated a spring release date for the long-delayed model.

Apple is now accepting monetary donations via iTunes for the American Red Cross to benefit Japan earthquake and tsunami victims. Donation buttons are available on a dedicated page in $5, $10, $25, $50, $100, and $200 amounts; as with past iTunes donation drives, 100% of the donation will go to the Red Cross to support disaster relief efforts, specifically to help those affected by the earthquake and tsunami. Notably, because iTunes does not sharing user information with the organization, the Red Cross will be unable to further acknowledge any donations made, and an email receipt will serve as the only record of the donation. Apple has also posted a direct link to the iTunes donation page on its company homepage at apple.com.

« LogicInMind releases AirTuner, an AirPlay Viewer for iOS

Apple: iPad 2 demand ‘amazing’, no sales numbers given »

Comments

Yes Mr. Jovi, it’s awful how “kids today” can determine the awfulness of an undesirable track without spending any of their allowance on it.

And we can all still put on headphones, turn up the volume, and get lost in the music. This experience transcends the music’s medium and playback mechanism.

(The only thing “killing music” that I see here is an aging rocker jumping on the “hate on Apple to make a headline” bandwagon.)

Posted by Farnsworth on March 14, 2011 at 4:34 PM (CDT)

“Kids today have missed the whole experience of putting the headphones on, turning it up to 10, holding the jacket, closing their eyes and getting lost in an album…”

The only thing they’re not doing is holding the jacket, which can’t be seen anyway with their eyes closed.

“...and the beauty of taking your allowance money and making a decision based on the jacket, not knowing what the record sounded like…”

Posted by beetsnotbeats on March 14, 2011 at 4:34 PM (CDT)

It was completely unnecessary to describe Jon Bon Jovi as an “aging rocker.” While it’s true and Bon Jovi seems to have forgotten record store listening stations, this isn’t TMZ.

Posted by camembert on March 14, 2011 at 4:43 PM (CDT)

Hey Bon Bon! You sold albums because you WERE relevant in 1988.  Even your mediocre “Slippery When Wet” jacket looks great in HD thanks to my new AppleTV.

Don’t kid yourself, what kept record sales as high as they were back in your heyday was due to such easily damaged media.  How many “License to Ill” vinyl were re-purchased due to emulating Mix Master Mike on Dad’s old record player?  How many first copies of “Back in Black” died from cigarette burns and budweiser spills? Steve Jobs apparent disregard for Aquanet Rockers has uncluttered our lives; thwarting early cases of scoliosis due to 30 lb. backpacks full Sir Bon Jovi’s discography.

Steve Jobs must be held responsible for making it easier for us to carry around 60,000 of our favorite tunes instead of Ozzy’s “waffle dust” habit… (no disgrace to the Prince of Darkness, in-fact I just finished “I Am Ozzy” purchased and read on my iPad.

Jon; seriously, sell out a few arena shows and quit blaming Steve Jobs for the demise of your career, I would start by blaming Kurt Cobain…

Posted by Ritchie Sambora on March 14, 2011 at 5:19 PM (CDT)

#2: “If kids bought albums based upon jackets, Bon Jovi would never have had a career.”

How true!

#3: “It was completely unnecessary to describe Jon Bon Jovi as an ‘aging rocker.’”

I think it’s perfectly okay to describe any former rock star as “aging” if (1) it’s true, and (2) he’s ever purchased a professional sports team, the reasoning being that he won’t really mind, since he has enough money for 26 lifetimes.

Posted by orgel in Falls Church, VA on March 14, 2011 at 5:26 PM (CDT)

Gee, you wonder how kids in the 30s, 40s or 50s ever found pop, jazz, rock and roll before they had jackets to give them a hint.  “Kids Today” will find the music that they want to hear, just like they’ve always done.  My fifteen year old nephew, a budding guitarist, had no trouble discovering “Here Comes the Sun” on iTunes.

Posted by Singlestick on March 14, 2011 at 6:29 PM (CDT)

Dear Jon, if you can’t find a way to be relevant in today’s music scene, I suggest giving it up instead of coming across like a dum-arse.

Posted by rockmyplimsoul on March 14, 2011 at 8:48 PM (CDT)

I’ve bought more music since the iPod and also wasted less money on crappy albums. I’ll take Steve Jobs and leave Bon Jovi

Posted by drakebullet on March 14, 2011 at 10:03 PM (CDT)

While it certainly isn’t Apple’s fault, he does have a point.  Kids these days don’t know the joys of spending time in record stores.  I probably spend 2-3 hours a week browsing the racks looking for new and rare CDs.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on March 14, 2011 at 10:56 PM (CDT)

To #4: Why is it “completely unnecessary” to describe Jon Bon Jovi as exactly what he is, an aging rocker? If the shoe fits, wear it.

Posted by sallenmd on March 14, 2011 at 11:17 PM (CDT)

Oops, that was to #3, not #4.

Posted by sallenmd on March 14, 2011 at 11:17 PM (CDT)

@#9-

I fondly remember cruising the record stores looking for treasure myself. Hours and hours were dedicated to the search. But I get a very similar experience cruising iTunes today. Truth be told, I have probably discovered more gems via iTunes than I ever did in the racks and stacks. There is just more out there.

For example, I stumbled onto the Drive-By Truckers a year or so ago. I had heard the name, but never heard any of the songs. Then one day I happened upon “Goddamn Lonely Love”. It was GREAT! I listened to a few other samples from that album and bought it. I followed a link to another of their albums…sampled…bought! This went on for four albums. I was like a kid in a candy store (or that teenager in a record store again)! I had the same feeling of euphoria. But it was instant gratification. I could queue up what I just bought and have it playing WHILE I continued to shop.

I really think kids today are getting a similar experience to what you and I had…minus the overpowering smell of incense at my favorite record store.

Posted by Mitch on March 15, 2011 at 7:42 AM (CDT)

Ok, Bon Jovi, don’t blame the fact that your music sucks and your target audience are aging just like you.

Just like Triumph said “you suck Bon Jovi!!”

Posted by estudioG on March 15, 2011 at 3:16 PM (CDT)