Mix: Bon Jovi, NFC, White iPhone, Japan
Aging rocker Jon Bon Jovi has accused Apple CEO Steve Jobs of ‘killing’ the music business. Speaking in an interview with The Sunday Times Magazine, he said, “Kids today have missed the whole experience of putting the headphones on, turning it up to 10, holding the jacket, closing their eyes and getting lost in an album; and the beauty of taking your allowance money and making a decision based on the jacket, not knowing what the record sounded like, and looking at a couple of still pictures and imagining it. God, it was a magical, magical time.” He added, “I hate to sound like an old man now, but I am, and you mark my words, in a generation from now people are going to say: ‘What happened?’ Steve Jobs is personally responsible for killing the music business.”
Update: We’ve penned an Open Letter to Jon Bon Jovi on the topic, which is generating substantial reader interest.
Apple will not be including Near Field Communication (NFC) technology in the next iPhone, according to a new report. Citing sources at several large UK mobile operators, the Independent reports that Apple has disclosed in meetings that it will not offer NFC in its next iPhone. “The new iPhone will not have NFC, Apple told the operators it was concerned by the lack of a clear standard across the industry,” said one source. Apple is reportedly working on incorporating NFC technologies into future iPad and iPhone models, including creating accessories that use NFC to offer additional functionality, and a NFC-based payment system.
Apple Senior Vice President of Worldwide Product Marketing Phil Schiller has confirmed that the white iPhone 4 is on track for a spring release. In reply to a customer inquiry, Schiller wrote on Twitter, “The white iPhone will be available this spring (and it is a beauty!).” Curiously, Schiller didn’t specify that he was speaking about the iPhone 4, but Apple has previously stated a spring release date for the long-delayed model.
Apple is now accepting monetary donations via iTunes for the American Red Cross to benefit Japan earthquake and tsunami victims. Donation buttons are available on a dedicated page in $5, $10, $25, $50, $100, and $200 amounts; as with past iTunes donation drives, 100% of the donation will go to the Red Cross to support disaster relief efforts, specifically to help those affected by the earthquake and tsunami. Notably, because iTunes does not sharing user information with the organization, the Red Cross will be unable to further acknowledge any donations made, and an email receipt will serve as the only record of the donation. Apple has also posted a direct link to the iTunes donation page on its company homepage at apple.com.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple TV adds FOX Now, CNBC channels
- Popular Bitcoin wallet app Blockchain returns to App Store
- Report: Apple Stores to support carrier early iPhone upgrade programs
- Report: Apple buying talk radio app Swell
- Congress passes bill to legalize phone unlocking
- Bose sues Beats over noise-canceling patents
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Modern Combat 5: Blackout
- Apps of the Week: ShipAntics, Modern Combat 5, This American Life 3.0 + more
- Report: Apple could launch own mobile wallet this fall
- Report: Apple ‘tentatively’ plans mid-September iPhone event
- Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks