Mix: BookExpo, SID awards, Apple Store 2.0, Mobile Privacy
Apple is set to exhibit for the first time at BookExpo America, the largest trade book fair in the United States. PaidContent reports that Apple’s booth is in a “prime” location near the booths of Scholastic, Random House, Disney Book Group, and Macmillan; Apple iBookstore employee Scott Simpson will represent the company. Update: Following the publication of the PaidContent story, a spokesperson for the BEA contacted the publication to clarify that Apple will not be “exhibiting,” but will instead be meeting with publishers in a private room at the venue.
Two Apple displays were recipients of Gold awards from the Society for Information Display, according to Electronista. As part of the group’s Display of the Year Awards, the iPhone 4’s Retina Display was awarded a Gold Display of the Year prize for its various technical advancements, while the iPad’s display also won a Gold award for Display Application of the Year, for its IPS technology, accurate colors, and application inside a thin tablet.
Apple’s retail store plans for this weekend stretch beyond the United States, according to a new report. Citing an Australian “tipster,” 9 to 5 Mac reports that all Apple retail stores in that country will undergo visual merchandising from 6pm to 6 am on Sunday the 22nd, with a sheet raised during that time to prevent anyone from seeing inside, with an all-hands meeting to begin directly afterwards. The report goes on to state that the phrase “Apple Store 2.0” is being mentioned in relation to the company’s plans.
Apple is being called back to Washington, D.C., to discuss mobile privacy issues. AllThingsD reports that the hearing—separate from the one held last week—is entitled Consumer Privacy and Protection in the Mobile Marketplace, and is slated to be held tomorrow at 10 a.m. before the Consumer Protection, Product Safety and Insurance subcommittee. Expected to appear is Apple government affairs VP Catherine Novelli, as well as representatives from Google and Facebook, along with representatives of the Federal Trade Commission, Common Sense Media and the Association for Competitive Technology.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple Q4 earnings call coming October 20
- European magazine gets blacklisted by Apple for posting “Bendgate” video
- “Reset All Settings” in iOS 8 may also erase iCloud Drive content
- Apple’s tax deal in Ireland may be illegal according to EU regulators
- Apple releases first iOS 8.1 beta to developers
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus hit China Oct. 17, pre-orders Oct. 10
- Report: iOS 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 in simultaneous development
- French fashion retailer Colette to hold in-store Apple event
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Apps of the Week: OmniFocus 2 for iPad, Transmit, Asphalt Overdrive + more
- Griffin Survivor All-Terrain, Core, and Slim for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Griffin Identity, Reveal cases for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Orbotix Ollie by Sphero
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic HD
- JBL Charge 2 Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2 In-Ear Headphones
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Speck CandyShell, Card, Grip + Inked cases for iPhone 6
- Incipio DualPro Shine, Edge for iPhone 6 + NGP for iPhone 6 Plus
- PureGear DualTek Extreme Shock Case, HIP Case+ and Slim Shell for iPhone 6
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More