Mix: BookExpo, SID awards, Apple Store 2.0, Mobile Privacy
Published: Wednesday, May 18, 2011
Apple is set to exhibit for the first time at BookExpo America, the largest trade book fair in the United States. PaidContent reports that Apple’s booth is in a “prime” location near the booths of Scholastic, Random House, Disney Book Group, and Macmillan; Apple iBookstore employee Scott Simpson will represent the company. Update: Following the publication of the PaidContent story, a spokesperson for the BEA contacted the publication to clarify that Apple will not be “exhibiting,” but will instead be meeting with publishers in a private room at the venue.
Two Apple displays were recipients of Gold awards from the Society for Information Display, according to Electronista. As part of the group’s Display of the Year Awards, the iPhone 4’s Retina Display was awarded a Gold Display of the Year prize for its various technical advancements, while the iPad’s display also won a Gold award for Display Application of the Year, for its IPS technology, accurate colors, and application inside a thin tablet.
Apple’s retail store plans for this weekend stretch beyond the United States, according to a new report. Citing an Australian “tipster,” 9 to 5 Mac reports that all Apple retail stores in that country will undergo visual merchandising from 6pm to 6 am on Sunday the 22nd, with a sheet raised during that time to prevent anyone from seeing inside, with an all-hands meeting to begin directly afterwards. The report goes on to state that the phrase “Apple Store 2.0” is being mentioned in relation to the company’s plans.
Apple is being called back to Washington, D.C., to discuss mobile privacy issues. AllThingsD reports that the hearing—separate from the one held last week—is entitled Consumer Privacy and Protection in the Mobile Marketplace, and is slated to be held tomorrow at 10 a.m. before the Consumer Protection, Product Safety and Insurance subcommittee. Expected to appear is Apple government affairs VP Catherine Novelli, as well as representatives from Google and Facebook, along with representatives of the Federal Trade Commission, Common Sense Media and the Association for Competitive Technology.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apps: Baby Bundle, Breeze, Helpouts + iOOTP Baseball 2014
- Apple selling refurbished iPad mini with Retina display
- Yahoo aims to become default iOS Safari search engine
- Apple working with Shazam on iOS song discovery feature
- iWatch poll ends, first accessory poll begins
- Hyundai bringing CarPlay to 2015 Sonata
- Apple agrees to anti-theft smartphone measures
- 8GB iPhone 5c launches in more European countries
- iPhone 6 metal mockups spotted at electronics show
- Alpine Electronics announces aftermarket CarPlay products
- Incipio Tek-nical for iPad Air
- Lepow ADD Power Bank
- Favi Swivel Screen Portfolio Case with Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad Air
- ChargerLeash Charge & Sync Smart Lightning Cable
- iWalk Sound Angle Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- iWalk Extreme 10,000 Duo Battery Pack
- Speck DuraFolio for iPad Air + iPad mini
- Hack Things Poppy 3D Camera for iPhone 4/4S/5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
- Tavik Hemings for iPad Air
- Spigen SGP GLAS.tR SLIM Privacy for iPhone 5/5c/5s
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac