Mix: Boot Camp, SearchForiPod, PodBrix, Creative | iLounge News

Mix: Boot Camp, SearchForiPod, PodBrix, Creative

Apple today introduced Boot Camp, new software that enables Intel-based Macs to run Windows XP. The free beta software is available today for download and will be a feature in “Leopard,” Apple’s next major version of Mac OS X.

SearchForiPod.com is a “free online video download community that aggregates and organizes iPod-formatted video content from over 1,000 independent sources and makes it searchable through various content channels and traditional keyword search.”

PodBrix has announced the 1K Brix Macrofig, a 7-inch tall version of its original limited edition Lego figure designed after Apple’s silhouette iPod ad campaign. It will go on sale tomorrow at 9:00 p.m. ET for $90.

Apple rival Creative Technology has warned of an operating loss of $55-$65 million in its fiscal third quarter due to lower margins and inventory write-downs.

« Apple lawyer gives closing arguments, defends right to logo

Womp! debuts new iPod case collection »

Comments

Boot Camp coming from Apple was pretty unexpected, especially with all the hype from the recent contest to get XP to boot on an Intel Mac.

Maybe hell IS about to freeze over grin

Posted by yinyang on April 5, 2006 at 7:20 AM (PDT)

Lemme get this straight… it lets you put XP on a Mac? Why? I have XP and would love to have a Mac. Windows all together is so sloppy. I’ve had this comp for years - I bought it top of the line… but after all those years my computer has become extremely cluttered with stupid randomly placed files that I have no idea if it’s safe to delete - heck I don’t have a clue what they’re there for! I got the impression that Macs were better in that way.

Someone please explain.

Posted by Werewolf on April 5, 2006 at 7:33 AM (PDT)

There are still apps etc that have no Mac equivalent, especially games, CAD. So with a MacIntel you have the ease of use, security etc of a Mac, but you can also boot into XP to do other things that still work better on Windows. Also developers may like this since they no longer have to re-write code to Mac OS. And it may make the pain of switching a bit easer for some people.

Anyway early days yet - it’s only been out a couple of hours!!

Posted by yinyang on April 5, 2006 at 7:44 AM (PDT)

WHEN WILL CREATIVE STOP!!!!!!!

That guy is just freakin’ nuts.  “Your Beat!! LET IT GO!!  Your going to run your company into the ground and be left with nothing.  Walk away with SOMETHING while you still can.”

Posted by LilAlienD in Maryland on April 5, 2006 at 7:50 AM (PDT)

I agree.  A lot of people like the macs but have gotten so used to windows that they’re afraid to switch.  Also a bunch of other people don’t switch even if they wanted to because they need certain applications that aren’t offered for mac.  In the long run I think this will benefit apple since boot camp will bring in all those undecisive customers.  It will make it a whole lot easier to switch sides since people will realize they could get the best of both worlds.

Posted by carlos on April 5, 2006 at 8:04 AM (PDT)

i think creative have the technology to compete with Apple, but when it comes to human interface they fail miserably. (i used to have a Zen xtra)

Posted by cow on April 5, 2006 at 8:05 AM (PDT)

Hey werewolf,  You’re right, MACS ARE BETTER IN EVERY WAY!  The whole idea behind boot camp I think is to use it as a LAST resort.  I have a G4 Ibook with windows xp installed in it via virtual pc, I use OS X 99.9999% of the time, while the .000001% I use it to use a research database application I really need every now and then.  There are a lot of people that love OS X for home and every day use but sometimes there’s that other application that you need for work.  Boot camp is made for those customers.  Makes the swich a whole lot easier!  Believe me I know, I spent two years in college studying PC’s, got sick and tired of it, when i found out about virtual pc on mac OS X, I made the move.

Posted by carlos on April 5, 2006 at 8:16 AM (PDT)

Before you know it, Apple will just be another PC manufacturer. They’re killing “macs”. An intel-based mac running xp, with a 2 button mouse?

ok, so what is there difference between that and regular pc?

Posted by Aaron Skinner on April 5, 2006 at 8:16 AM (PDT)

Hey, Apply stock rose from $62 to $65.42!! At least Apple is releasing some real stuff for their 30th anniversary!!!
Now I can play games!!!
Too bad I don’t have an Intel Mac, I have a PPC one :(

Posted by hoho on April 5, 2006 at 8:53 AM (PDT)

Ok so pretty much all it does is it allows you to run the things that you can’t normally use with Macs… right? I know what you’re saying carlos. My dad has an iBook with OSX on it and I use it once in a while. I mean you can do pretty much everything on that comp that I can do on mine, it’s just a lot cleaner which, to me, is a really big deal. I would LOVE a Mac of any kind but I also love playing games once in a while but hey, I could give that up easily for a Mac lol. I’m not afraid to switch, it’s just that Macs are extremely expensive and well, I have a lot on my comp. I would really love to switch, it just isn’t going to happen anytime soon.

Posted by Werewolf on April 5, 2006 at 9:36 AM (PDT)

do we know if it runs smoothly? Or clunky like virtual pc? Also, anyone know if apple does trade ins? I’m think about trading in my powerbook for intel.

Posted by Kristen on April 5, 2006 at 10:10 AM (PDT)

My dad owns a graphic design company, and has been using Macs for 20 years but he still needed to buy a Windows machine recently. Colours are produced differently by both systems so he needs to make sure that what he’s designed on the Mac will still look good using Windows.

Also, the only thing that stopped me from going Mac a few years ago was the sheer range of software available for Windows that you just can’t get for OS X (although after 3 years of XP, I’m ready to switch!).

Apple have never been shy about letting people run Windows on their Macs, although I am surprised that they took the step of making some new software specifically for it.

Posted by Levi on April 5, 2006 at 10:21 AM (PDT)

Kristen,

Because Apple has all the drivers configured and Windows literally *boot* from the hard disk, then it will work like a Dell (cough) running windows…..

And now Apple shares is reaching $66.41…....and it changed to $66.48 just now!!!! So fast, just within a few hours! Now it’s $66.53!! Man! Better hit post fast or I’ll want to type more! Now it’s $66.55! Man! it changed so fast! up by $0.14 in the period of typing this!

Posted by hoho on April 5, 2006 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

yinyang: you mentioned security as a feature of macs. Well yes this is true, but not because of the hardware: it’s OSX that’s secure. On the BootCamp Page on Apple’s site, they even state that running by running windows on a Mac, you’re still open to Windows security flaws. I just wanted to make that clear.

Aaron: I don’t think apple is “killing macs” by making this move. They’re not going to sell Windows with the machines - they’re not going to support it. They’re simply making it easier for you to do it for in case there are some Windows apps you need to run. The reality is while Macs may be great, some people still use windows only software and this option allows you to run XP natively, fully utilizing the Mac hardware.

I really like the move they’re making but I’m hoping they’ll include virtualization software in Leopard so we can run OSX and XP side-by-side with little to no loss of performance.

Posted by TreyDawg on April 5, 2006 at 11:05 AM (PDT)

TreyDawg:
I’m actually hoping that this is as far as Apple goes for Windows Compatibility.
90% of Software only runs on Windows. 90% of Everything is Crud. Coincidence?
If Cruddy Windows Program run Virtually, or even Natively on a Mac, Developers will less inclined to write decent Mac-Native programs. Cross Platform Programs like PhotoShop and SketchUp may only be available for one Platform.
Being forced to Reboot to use Windows Programs is a good thing. It provides a Security Blanket for those who do want to switch, but also creates an inconvenience, so people will still be interested in Native Mac OS X Applications.
Having to Reboot to use a Proprietary Windows-Only Catalogue System, while everything else you do can be done using Native Programs is an Inconvenience, IMO it is better than trying to run it within Mac OS X

Aaron:
The difference is that it still runs Mac OS X. On most dual-boot systems I’ve used, I’ve always preferred the Non-Windows OS; sometimes I wouldn’t boot into Windows for Months-on-end.

Posted by SalvoDan on April 5, 2006 at 12:55 PM (PDT)

now they should make em Macs lil cheaper so us PC users have totally no excuses not to switch, and this way im sure Apple’s stock will go higher

Posted by iWannaMac on April 5, 2006 at 1:01 PM (PDT)

iwannamac:
It’s called a Mini and you can get them refurb or on ebay for 250-300 dollars.

Posted by macdaddy on April 5, 2006 at 1:35 PM (PDT)

so if OS X ran on a pc it would essentially be a mac. All I’m saying if the only thing that makes mac a mac is the operating system, then its not a mac. They have always been different. Now it’s a pc with an apple OS.

I have always used a PC, and will continue to use a PC, simply because only a handful of people use them, and the programs available for it are scarce. The fact that people need to run windows on their mac to make it as capable as a pc makes it inferior. Why don’t they instead make an os that is capable of running windows-based programs, instead of making their machines capable of running windows. Thats dumb.

Posted by Aaron Skinner on April 5, 2006 at 2:40 PM (PDT)

SalvoDan:
Just so I can make this clear up front as these forums can easily lead to misunderstanding, I think you make a very good point and my response here is not an attempt to “flame” you. I guess it just depends on what your needs for the OS are. For me, I really prefer the Mac OS, but I have invested a decent amount in some Windows programs that I still use. Aside from that, in some instances there aren’t (IMO) comparable programs that I will use. For example, I personally prefer MS Money over Quicken. I’ve used both, and I just found Quicken (even on the Mac) to be clunky. Some - perhaps many - will disagree. Again, it’s a matter of opinion. Point being though, I’m the type of person that would be much happier if I could run my Money program in a Window in my Mac OS environment so I can do everything else in the Mac OS. So for me, the inconveince is more an annoyance in terms of having to reboot because I will continue to use MS Money unless someone develops an equivalent that runs natively on the Mac OS. For some people there just aren’t decent, comparable Mac OS native program to do what they need (or more appropriately perhaps, what they want). Therefore the “inconvenience” factor, though annoying, isn’t going to make me swtich to an alternative Mac progam that may accomplish the same end result but doesn’t work the way I like it to. So, bottom line: I’d love to run everything natively in Mac OS - once someone develops all the programs I like to use that function the way I like them to. In the mean time, Apple would earn big brownie points with me if I could run those few Windows apps I like in a Virtual environment within Mac OSX. Does that make sense?

Posted by TreyDawg on April 5, 2006 at 7:37 PM (PDT)

macdaddy:

Yeah, that’s great but those are PowerPC mac mini’s (I’m assuming) and last I checked, they won’t run windows natively. I think that’s what iwannamac was refering to: a cheaper, intel mac that will allow them to run both windows and Mac OSX

Posted by TreyDawg on April 5, 2006 at 7:42 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >