Mix: Bushcast, iPod Patent, Microsoft, Windows Media | iLounge News

Mix: Bushcast, iPod Patent, Microsoft, Windows Media

The White House is now offering President Bush’s radio addresses and select speeches as podcasts on the iTunes Music Store.

BusinessWeek’s Arik Hesseldahl says that the recent iPod patent dispute is normal in the tech industry: “When that happens, companies usually find it’s helpful to take out a license on each other’s patents… Apple and Microsoft have a long history of taking out cross-licenses with each other.”

WinInfo’s Paul Thurrott says that Microsoft and its partners aren’t going to catch the iPod anytime soon: “Guys, let me save you a lot of time and money: It ain’t going to happen. If Apple would simply open up the iPod to WMA (Windows Media Audio) files and PC-based online music services, the iPod would accomplish two things: It would literally be perfect, and it would blow away any reason at all to consider any other kinds of music players.” [via MDN]

Peter Griffin, a columnist at The New Zealand Herald says that he won’t be buying an iPod until adds support for Windows Media: “As a user of Windows Media Player and an avid CD buyer, I won’t be investing in the little white device until Apple sees sense.”

« Forums: EQ settings, Display hack, Older iPodders, Intro thread

Griffin offers PowerJolt auto charger »

Comments

Peter Griffin has his own column!!?

Posted by xblackragex on August 12, 2005 at 1:12 PM (CDT)

Until Apple sees sense my ass. It’s not Apple’s fault that copy-protected CD’s don’t work on iTunes, it’s the damn music industry’s fault for putting them on there in the first place. They shouldn’t put any sort of DRM on music-cd’s.

Posted by dino in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada on August 12, 2005 at 1:28 PM (CDT)

Peter Griffin’s column is terrible.  It’s basically the music industry’s view of the iPod which is: a) we don’t make any money on it b) we should make money on it and c) they sell to many.

Seriously he interviews Sony who says that Apple should open it up.  Well thanks Sony, who wouldn’t let MP3s play on their portable music players for years.  That Sony makes digital music players, or that the iPod uses the internet standard music file format (MP3) isn’t mentioned.

I hate it when tech journalists get away with absolutely sloppy reporting just because they’re not “real” reporters and nobody fact checks their stuff.

This would be like an article on Quark Xpress or InDesign that says, “Don’t buy these programs.  It only outputs to .PDF and not Microsoft’s newest file format that nobody is going to use.”

Posted by Jeffery Simpson on August 12, 2005 at 1:33 PM (CDT)

We should not be burdened by DRM on CDs. However, it is still Apple’s fault.

Although it may make little sense from our p.o.v., Apple’s DRM is weak and easily broken while WMA’s DRM has been fairly robust and easily modified after the fact when weaknesses are found. If I were a paranoid record exec, between the relative weakness of Apple’s DRM and the stubbornness of Apple to license others to encode with their DRM, I wouldn’t work with them either.

Apple needs to either more openly license their Fairplay DRM or they need to support WMA, until that point no one is going to work with them because they won’t work with anyone else.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on August 12, 2005 at 1:35 PM (CDT)

“Bushcasts”?  What a waste of disk space.  Maybe when he meets with Cindy Sheehan and they post the audio (yeah, right)...or if he ever has a “town meeting” that includes a single citizen who disagrees with him…I guess those would be worth a listen.

Until then, I’ll stick with “Democracy Now!”

Posted by str8butnotnarrow on August 12, 2005 at 2:09 PM (CDT)

that guy’s name is actually peter griffin? i bet he gets crap all the time for that

Posted by mrwright613 on August 12, 2005 at 2:20 PM (CDT)

This Peter guy is just using the standard media practice:  1) Find something good that everyone likes.  2) Bash it completely. 3) Enjoy the new publicity.

Just ignore him.  So he’s not going to buy one?  I’m sure iPod is worried.  Just look at how small their market share is.  Oh, wait…

Posted by M. Sherman on August 12, 2005 at 2:46 PM (CDT)

bush’s podcast? ahh great.. look away now

Posted by size9 on August 12, 2005 at 3:05 PM (CDT)

I have to say, any Music Cd that has DRM on I just wont buy. Its just like those horrid dual disks things. Why on earth would anyone buy those.

Burn

Posted by Digitalburn on August 12, 2005 at 3:10 PM (CDT)

I don’t know about you, but I’m not even going to listen the opinion of someone named Peter Griffin.

Posted by ryanjla on August 12, 2005 at 4:09 PM (CDT)

Paul Thurrott’s comments simply indicated a way for Apple to further bury the comptetition, whether that would be a good thing or not. The point he is trying to make is that, if Apple allows for WMA playing and creates a subscription based option, then what possible reason could anyone have for using Napster, Real or Yahoo? I think he has a point, though I’d rather see healthy competition instead of empty promises of such by MS and their ilk..

>>>>>>>>>>>I could care less if my iPod ever plays WMA. I never incode in that formate so why would I want that option. People get to thiinking that oh I have windows so I have to use there stuff. Well there are other options out there. I just helped my friend what was trying to back up his music. He thought they where incoded as MP3s. But there are the Sony Attrac crap. Plus they were incoded at 64kbs. I told him to download iTunes and reincode his music into MP3s. I personaly use AAC as its better then MP3.

Posted by Margk on August 12, 2005 at 4:17 PM (CDT)

“Bushcasts?  What a waste of disk space.  Maybe when he meets with Cindy Sheehan and they post the audio (yeah, right).”

Not that we need to discuss politics here, but Bush HAS met with her already. Last year. And she gushed to the press how great the meeting was.

Posted by J3 on August 12, 2005 at 4:24 PM (CDT)

It would be a hard thing to dis’ the President when you’re face-to-face with him.  Most people would be shaking in their boots.

Sheehan is getting a lot more done by not meeting with him, because if the meeting ever takes place, I’m sure she’ll come out of it looking like she just met her idol.  She won’t have the guts to call him on his mess when fact-to-face…but who would?

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on August 12, 2005 at 9:44 PM (CDT)

I would.

Posted by kloan on August 13, 2005 at 4:23 AM (CDT)

If his body guards weren’t around.. lol

Posted by kloan on August 13, 2005 at 4:24 AM (CDT)

Yes, who indeed. It’s always seemed odd to me, how Americans, nominally citizens of a Republic, grovel before their elected officials as if they were not public servants but instead Emperors, while most Europeans, many of whom are nominally “subjects” of monarchs, are not afraid to diss their Prime Ministers to their faces.

The US press and media is sickeningly sycophantic compared to other, more vigorous media. It reminds me of Pravda in the old Soviet Union, or the CHinese “news” media today.

O’Reilly asked Kesterson, the Santa Clara mother, about her allotted three-minute meeting with Bush following her only child’s death in 2003.

Sheehan: “He wouldn’t look at the pictures of [my son] Casey. He didn’t even know Casey’s name. He came in the room and the very first thing he said is, ‘So who are we honoring here?’ He didn’t even know Casey’s name. He didn’t want to hear it. He didn’t want to hear anything about Casey. He wouldn’t even call him ‘him’ or ‘he.’ He called him ‘your loved one.’ Every time we tried to talk about Casey and how much we missed him, he would change the subject. And he acted like it was a party.”

But my personal feeling is that he really doesn’t have a conscience about all this death and destruction. That was the essence I took away after looking him in the eyes and meeting with him—there’s just no conscience there.

Posted by Demosthenes on August 13, 2005 at 12:40 PM (CDT)

I personaly use AAC as its better then MP3.

VBR MP3 rated “equivalent” to AAC in blind listening tests at equivalent bitrates.

The only format that consistently beats AAC and VBR MP3 is Ogg Vorbis. ATrac is last, as usual.

Vorbis aoTuV is tied to Musepack at first place, Lame MP3 is tied to iTunes AAC at second place, WMA Standard is in third place and Atrac3 gets last place.

Anyone who is really interested in non-biased comparisons of format quality on lots of different platforms and players need to check out this website:

Posted by Demosthenes on August 13, 2005 at 12:45 PM (CDT)

And oh yeah, if you want to install a VOrbis playback plugin in iTunes, here’s how:

Posted by Demosthenes on August 13, 2005 at 12:46 PM (CDT)

as it was already pointed out. bush did meet with her in 2004 and sheehan had virtually nothing negative to say about the event. but apparently one meeting wasn’t enough. sheehan would rather push an agenda than be reminded she already got what she’s currently fighting for.

Posted by abe on August 13, 2005 at 7:35 PM (CDT)

Apple will NEVER allow WMA on the iPod until Microsoft makes it’s DRM’d wma format compatible with the macintosh. It’s as simple as that. There’s no way in hell apple will ever offer windows only features to the iPod

Posted by fxgeek on August 15, 2005 at 6:50 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >