Mix: Carmack, Cardboard iPhone 3G, Rainn Wilson
In a recent interview with Forbes, id Software co-founder and Doom creator John Carmack spoke about his company’s plans for iPhone development. “We wanted to do something for the iPhone, but we just didn’t have the scheduling or the resources available,” Carmack said. “I really regret not having something at launch.” He added that id has a title it wants to develop specifically for the iPhone, saying, “I’m not announcing anything specifically, but it would be a graphical tour de force.” Anna Kang, president of id Mobile, said the new title “would not be a new IP,” meaning the game would be based on the company’s existing catalog, which includes the Doom, Quake, and Wolfenstein franchises. Finally, Carmack admitted that the opportunities presented by the iPhone also present a challenge in trying to reign in development time and costs. “The iPhone, as a device, is in the same generation power-wise as the PS2 or Xbox,” he said. “The graphics are a little lower but the RAM is a lot higher. … You could easily spend $10 million on an iPhone game, but the market just can’t support that yet.”
T-Mobile Germany is sending customers awaiting the arrival of their pre-ordered iPhone 3Gs flyers with a cardboard cut-out iPhone 3G “as a small pastime.” iFun.de reports that along with the cardboard teaser, the carrier has previously informed iPhone 3G pre-order customers that they will receive a free silicone protective cover for their patience in receiving the device.
OfficeTally, a fan website dedicated to NBC’s popular sitcom The Office, has posted a video interview with cast member Rainn Wilson (“Dwight”) in which both Wilson and a OfficeTally editor play with the iPhone application PhoneSaber. PhoneSaber simulates a Star Wars lightsaber on the screen using the phone’s built-in accelerometer, and is a free download from the App Store.
- Report: iPad Pro to be official name of large iPad, more details revealed
- Mozilla begins rollout of Firefox for iOS preview
- Google releases Google Street View app for iOS
- Apple admits Apple Music still needs work, says iTunes downloads remain strong
- Judge approves $415M settlement in anti-poaching lawsuit
- Report: Apple to debut ‘iPad Pro’ on Sept. 9
- iPhone 6S to use 7000 series aluminum from Apple Watch Sport
- CBS Sports to stream Super Bowl 50, select NFL games on Apple TV
- Report: New Apple TV gets A8 chip, but not 4K support
- Report: New Apple TV will feature universal search, cost $149
- Divoom AuraBox Bluetooth Speaker
- Belkin WeMo + OSRAM Lightify White Tunable Starter Set
- Logitech Logi BLOK cases for iPad mini + iPad Air 2
- IK Multimedia iKlip Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Odoyo KickStand Charging Dock for Apple Watch
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?