Mix: Carmack, Cardboard iPhone 3G, Rainn Wilson
In a recent interview with Forbes, id Software co-founder and Doom creator John Carmack spoke about his company’s plans for iPhone development. “We wanted to do something for the iPhone, but we just didn’t have the scheduling or the resources available,” Carmack said. “I really regret not having something at launch.” He added that id has a title it wants to develop specifically for the iPhone, saying, “I’m not announcing anything specifically, but it would be a graphical tour de force.” Anna Kang, president of id Mobile, said the new title “would not be a new IP,” meaning the game would be based on the company’s existing catalog, which includes the Doom, Quake, and Wolfenstein franchises. Finally, Carmack admitted that the opportunities presented by the iPhone also present a challenge in trying to reign in development time and costs. “The iPhone, as a device, is in the same generation power-wise as the PS2 or Xbox,” he said. “The graphics are a little lower but the RAM is a lot higher. … You could easily spend $10 million on an iPhone game, but the market just can’t support that yet.”
T-Mobile Germany is sending customers awaiting the arrival of their pre-ordered iPhone 3Gs flyers with a cardboard cut-out iPhone 3G “as a small pastime.” iFun.de reports that along with the cardboard teaser, the carrier has previously informed iPhone 3G pre-order customers that they will receive a free silicone protective cover for their patience in receiving the device.
OfficeTally, a fan website dedicated to NBC’s popular sitcom The Office, has posted a video interview with cast member Rainn Wilson (“Dwight”) in which both Wilson and a OfficeTally editor play with the iPhone application PhoneSaber. PhoneSaber simulates a Star Wars lightsaber on the screen using the phone’s built-in accelerometer, and is a free download from the App Store.
- Notes from Apple’s Q2 2015 earnings call
- Apple Q2 2015: Record $58B revenue, 61.1M iPhones, 12.6M iPads
- Apple releases second iOS 8.4 beta to developers
- Major hospital links HealthKit data to patient records
- Apple Pay adds Discover cards
- Apple enables iTunes donations for Nepal earthquake
- Apple’s third-generation Siri built on Mesos platform
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- Apple Watch
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?