Mix: Carmack, Cardboard iPhone 3G, Rainn Wilson
In a recent interview with Forbes, id Software co-founder and Doom creator John Carmack spoke about his company’s plans for iPhone development. “We wanted to do something for the iPhone, but we just didn’t have the scheduling or the resources available,” Carmack said. “I really regret not having something at launch.” He added that id has a title it wants to develop specifically for the iPhone, saying, “I’m not announcing anything specifically, but it would be a graphical tour de force.” Anna Kang, president of id Mobile, said the new title “would not be a new IP,” meaning the game would be based on the company’s existing catalog, which includes the Doom, Quake, and Wolfenstein franchises. Finally, Carmack admitted that the opportunities presented by the iPhone also present a challenge in trying to reign in development time and costs. “The iPhone, as a device, is in the same generation power-wise as the PS2 or Xbox,” he said. “The graphics are a little lower but the RAM is a lot higher. … You could easily spend $10 million on an iPhone game, but the market just can’t support that yet.”
T-Mobile Germany is sending customers awaiting the arrival of their pre-ordered iPhone 3Gs flyers with a cardboard cut-out iPhone 3G “as a small pastime.” iFun.de reports that along with the cardboard teaser, the carrier has previously informed iPhone 3G pre-order customers that they will receive a free silicone protective cover for their patience in receiving the device.
OfficeTally, a fan website dedicated to NBC’s popular sitcom The Office, has posted a video interview with cast member Rainn Wilson (“Dwight”) in which both Wilson and a OfficeTally editor play with the iPhone application PhoneSaber. PhoneSaber simulates a Star Wars lightsaber on the screen using the phone’s built-in accelerometer, and is a free download from the App Store.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apps of the Week: Star Walk 2, Swing Copters, Vine 2.5 + more
- Apple releases new iTunes 12 beta
- Alleged rear shell for 5.5” iPhone 6 leaked
- Video Review: Otterbox Agility Tablet System
- NFL Now channel comes to Apple TV
- New iPhone 6 schematic leak shows protruding camera lens
- Mercedes, Volvo delay CarPlay support until 2015
- iOS 8 beta suggests 1472x828 resolution, more icons for iPhone 6 Home Screen?
- Report: Apple releases iOS 8 beta 6 to testing partners
- Sprint announces Family Share Pack data plans
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- Go Design TravelCard Charger
- OtterBox Agility Tablet System for iPad Air
- SwitchEasy B’Spoke for iPad Air
- Kero Products Nomad Cable Lightning
- Juno Labs Juno Power Junojumpr
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today