Mix: China, Europe, Zune, Quartz
Following yesterday’s comments from China Mobile’s CEO on bringing the iPhone to China, Reuters reports that China Unicom has also expressed interest in carrying the handset. “Right now, we don’t have any plans to introduce Apple’s iPhones in China,” Unicom Executive Director Li Zhengmao told reporters on Wednesday. “But of course, we’re always willing to discuss a good business opportunity if it presents itself,” he said. “As for whether we’ll talk about iPhones with Apple, you’ll have to ask Apple.”
Apple has taken a more proactive approach in Europe than in the U.S. regarding the iPhone, according to a recent Wall Street Journal article. The article points to agreements with Wi-Fi hot-spot providers as an example, saying Apple made these deals in part to appease critics who bemoaned the device’s slow EDGE data connection. “They certainly have learned their lesson, and are being more proactive,” said Chris Fletcher, a mobility research director with AMR Research.
In his review of the new Zune players, Walt Mossberg said that while the devices are an improvement over their predecessors, they’re still not as good as Apple’s current iPod lineup. “Microsoft has greatly improved the Zune hardware and software this time,” he said. “But it seems to be competing with Apple’s last efforts, not its newest ones.”
To celebrate its Quartz case receiving runner-up for Case of the Year for iPod classic in our latest Buyers’ Guide, Pacific Rim Technologies is running a one-week promotion, beginning today, offering the case for $15, discounted from its normal price of $25. The promotion ends Nov. 21.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly comes out Monday, subscribe now
- Verizon to allow users to opt out of web tracking ‘supercookies’
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- RooCase ORB Tablet System
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- How do I turn off Reachability on the iPhone 6 Plus?
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards