Mix: China, Europe, Zune, Quartz
Following yesterday’s comments from China Mobile’s CEO on bringing the iPhone to China, Reuters reports that China Unicom has also expressed interest in carrying the handset. “Right now, we don’t have any plans to introduce Apple’s iPhones in China,” Unicom Executive Director Li Zhengmao told reporters on Wednesday. “But of course, we’re always willing to discuss a good business opportunity if it presents itself,” he said. “As for whether we’ll talk about iPhones with Apple, you’ll have to ask Apple.”
Apple has taken a more proactive approach in Europe than in the U.S. regarding the iPhone, according to a recent Wall Street Journal article. The article points to agreements with Wi-Fi hot-spot providers as an example, saying Apple made these deals in part to appease critics who bemoaned the device’s slow EDGE data connection. “They certainly have learned their lesson, and are being more proactive,” said Chris Fletcher, a mobility research director with AMR Research.
In his review of the new Zune players, Walt Mossberg said that while the devices are an improvement over their predecessors, they’re still not as good as Apple’s current iPod lineup. “Microsoft has greatly improved the Zune hardware and software this time,” he said. “But it seems to be competing with Apple’s last efforts, not its newest ones.”
To celebrate its Quartz case receiving runner-up for Case of the Year for iPod classic in our latest Buyers’ Guide, Pacific Rim Technologies is running a one-week promotion, beginning today, offering the case for $15, discounted from its normal price of $25. The promotion ends Nov. 21.
- Apple Music coming to Sonos Dec. 15 through public beta program
- Apple to drop headphone jack from next iPhone?
- Amazon Instant Video app could hit Apple TV ‘within a few weeks’
- Some Apple Music and iTunes Match services may be illegal in the U.K.
- Australian banks accused of anti-competitive behavior over Apple Pay lockout
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Pro
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?