Mix: China, Europe, Zune, Quartz
Following yesterday’s comments from China Mobile’s CEO on bringing the iPhone to China, Reuters reports that China Unicom has also expressed interest in carrying the handset. “Right now, we don’t have any plans to introduce Apple’s iPhones in China,” Unicom Executive Director Li Zhengmao told reporters on Wednesday. “But of course, we’re always willing to discuss a good business opportunity if it presents itself,” he said. “As for whether we’ll talk about iPhones with Apple, you’ll have to ask Apple.”
Apple has taken a more proactive approach in Europe than in the U.S. regarding the iPhone, according to a recent Wall Street Journal article. The article points to agreements with Wi-Fi hot-spot providers as an example, saying Apple made these deals in part to appease critics who bemoaned the device’s slow EDGE data connection. “They certainly have learned their lesson, and are being more proactive,” said Chris Fletcher, a mobility research director with AMR Research.
In his review of the new Zune players, Walt Mossberg said that while the devices are an improvement over their predecessors, they’re still not as good as Apple’s current iPod lineup. “Microsoft has greatly improved the Zune hardware and software this time,” he said. “But it seems to be competing with Apple’s last efforts, not its newest ones.”
To celebrate its Quartz case receiving runner-up for Case of the Year for iPod classic in our latest Buyers’ Guide, Pacific Rim Technologies is running a one-week promotion, beginning today, offering the case for $15, discounted from its normal price of $25. The promotion ends Nov. 21.
- Malware steals 225,000+ Apple account logins from jailbroken iPhones
- Apple announces partnership with Cisco for iOS business users
- Report: New Apple TV to support Bluetooth gaming controllers
- Google releases iOS app that links some Android Wear watches to newer iPhones
- Apple to make Apple Camp program available year-round
- Apple hiring ex-Microsoft employee hints at augmented reality plans
- Judge limits further filings in patent case between Apple and Samsung
- Report: New Apple TV less than $200, arriving in October
- Apple to drop first-gen Apple TV, iPod classic support as of Sept 8th
- New Apple TV to feature motion sensitive remote
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- Native Union Clic 360 for iPhone 6
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?