Mix: Concerto table, iSee cases, iPodulator Pro, iWeddings | iLounge News

Mix: Concerto table, iSee cases, iPodulator Pro, iWeddings

The iPod Concerto Table by Lovegrove and Respucci is a piano-shaped design concept that integrates an iPod dock and amplified speakers underneath the lid.

Contour Design is giving away 200 more free iSee nano cases in response to popular demand. Contour will also be extending their 15% off sale until May 28, 2006.

iPodulator Pro is an application (Mac or PC) that converts webpages to text and automatically transfers them to your iPod.

Wedding experts say that iPods are replacing DJs and bands more and more at wedding receptions. “Many of our brides and grooms are catching on to this trend,” said Kathleen Murray, senior editor for online wedding publisher TheKnot.com. “A lot of it has to do [with] the costs of weddings are increasing these days…For some, music may not be as important to spend the huge budget on as flowers or food.”

« Apple’s Steve Jobs on innovation, iPod releases

Star Wars: Clone Wars coming to iTunes Music Store »

Comments

My iPod took care of my recent wedding ceremony and my laptop with iTunes handled the reception (can’t crossfade with an iPod yet, and I didn’t want any gaps between songs).  Worked better than I ever imagined and we saved a bunch of money and hassle.  We played mostly songs that had meaning to us, therefore we already owned them and didn’t have to “buy” a whole bunch of new music (there are ways around that too).  That and we didn’t hear anything we didn’t want.  And no annoying wedding DJ, which is a job just a step above telemarketer in my book.

Posted by PushButtonAction in Atlanta, GA on May 26, 2006 at 10:28 AM (CDT)

That’s right. Because we here at Contour Design feel so strongly about the iSee-nano, we’re giving away another 200 so that you can see for yourself that it’s the best case for your iPod.  Keep checking
our site throughout the day because with a deal this good, you know it won’t last long.

And because of the holiday weekend, the 15% sale will last through May 30.

Posted by mikej in NH on May 26, 2006 at 11:17 AM (CDT)

Did you know that the RIAA says that it’s illegal to use downloaded songs for DJ purposes?  I met the owner of one of the country’s most popular DJ companies and he was successfully sued by the RIAA because his employees used songs that they ripped themselves or purchased legally through services like iTunes.  Their complaint was that his company was making money off of their copywritten material, YET, it is legal to buy records and charge to spin those.  I swear, they RIAA will be the death of the medium at last…

Posted by Armand Davila on May 26, 2006 at 1:19 PM (CDT)

Sweet…even though I have an iSkin Duo for my nano, I thought “What the hell” and decided to get one o’ them free Contour cases.  I only paid for the shipping - talk about awesome!  I did do my homework, and saw that overall the case got good reviews and feedback, reinforcing my decision.  Thanks Contour!

Posted by kaladbolg on May 26, 2006 at 2:04 PM (CDT)

Has anyone tried the Ipodulator Pro and gotten it to work? I can’t figure out how to get it to add the pages to my iPod, and I can’t find a support foum or help page or anything like that. Can someone point me towards some kind of tech support (other than emailing the creator, which I’ll only do as a last resort)?

Posted by Jason Martin on May 26, 2006 at 3:14 PM (CDT)

Yeah, most home users (me being one) don’t think about copyright right laws in regards to public use of music.  I remember in the dorms where there was this big issue about showing movies on the VCR and how we couldn’t do it for copyright reasons.  I assume similar issues face DJs.

In regards to iPods replacing the DJ, there are pros and cons.  The DJ is a live person able to adjust the music in real time.  Unless you have someone manning the iPod, you may not be able to cue music for certain wedding “events”.  I thought about it but ended up hiring a DJ since we really wanted someone to basically be the MC (introing us, wedding party, announcing dinner, first dance, garter toss, bouquet toss, etc).  Those are things that an iPod can’t do.

However, if you just need some background music and aren’t doing anything else then an iPod is great.

Posted by DF57 on May 26, 2006 at 3:35 PM (CDT)

I remember when the first gen came out of iPods a DJ came into the CompUSA I was shopping at and was asking about putting all of his music on it. Although you would save money, I agree with DF57 and I would rather have the DJ be the MC.

Posted by rob on May 26, 2006 at 6:21 PM (CDT)

iPods replacing DJ’s?  Can’t see it.  I’m a photographer and have quite a few weddings under my belt and I can testify that DJ’s do much more than just play music.  They basically run the reception and how much fun (or lack of) you have is a direct reflection on the DJ.

Someone can play great music and still be a bad DJ because it consists of so much more.

Besides good DJ’s normally work with the photographer to insure all of the days events are captured.

Posted by 3rdEye on June 2, 2006 at 7:01 AM (CDT)