Mix: EMI, Greenpeace, Google Maps, iPhone
According to a Reuters report, EMI may be planning to significantly reduce its payments to industry trade groups such as the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) and others that represent the music companies and help fight piracy. EMI was recently acquired by private equity group Terra Firma, and is currently undergoing a strategic review. EMI was also the first of the four major labels to make its music available without DRM.
Greenpeace International has released its latest “Guide to Greener Electronics,” which ranks the 18 top manufacturers of personal computers, mobile phones, TV’s and games consoles according to their policies on toxic chemicals and recycling. The group gave Apple 6 out of 10, good enough for 11th place on the list. Greenpeace said the company “slightly improved with new iMacs and some iPods reducing the use of toxic chemicals,” while stating that Apple’s takeback program “still needs some work.”
Google has announced the launch of the My Location feature for Google Maps for Mobile. My Location uses cell phone triangulation techniques, similar to those used by Navizon, to provide GPS-like functionality. It is uncertain whether the feature will be added to the iPhone’s Google Maps application.
James R. Miller, associate professor of electrical engineering and computer science at the University of Kansas, believes that the iPhone offers unique opportunities for online learning thanks to its mix of mobile phone, audio, and internet functionality. “It’s pretty much a complete computer system in your hand — and oh, by the way, there’s a phone there, too,” Miller said. “People are beginning to expect on-demand delivery for education. They may be out in a field someplace or completely away from standard Internet connectivity. Well, if they can pick up their iPhone and turn it on, that technology is making it possible for them to get this on-demand education that they need.”
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Apple working on app to diagnose problems with iOS devices?
- Apple Music: Iovine apologizes for remarks about women; Adele won’t stream new album
- Apple expands personal pickup to Apple Stores in the UK
- Apple acknowledges iPad Pro charging problem, doesn’t have fix yet
- App Store rules may limit number of iPad Pro-specific apps
- iFixit tears down the Apple Pencil
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Logitech Create iPad Pro Keyboard Case
- Apple iPad Pro
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?