Mix: Europe, Wal-Mart, HOF, iDiamond
According to a Financial Times report, Apple has signed deals with T-Mobile of Germany, Orange of France, and O2 in the UK, to be the exclusive carriers of the iPhone in those European countries. The report claims that as part of the deal, Apple will receive 10 percent of revenue from calls and data usage of iPhone customers, and that the deal will be officially announced at the IFA trade fair in Berlin at the end of August.
U.S. retail giant Wal-Mart has begun selling DRM-free MP3 music from major record labels such as Universal and EMI for $0.94 per track. As Universal announced earlier in the month, its “test” of DRM-free music sales began today through retailers such as Wal-Mart and Gbox.
Apple CEO Steve Jobs has been selected for induction into the California Hall of Fame. Jobs, along with notable figures such as photographer Ansel Adams, Jackie Robinson, Elizabeth Taylor, and John Wayne, will be inducted during a Dec. 5 ceremony in Sacramento, CA.
A special edition gold and diamond covered iPod shuffle, dubbed the iDiamond, has been created by jewelry designer Thomas Heyerdahl. The not-for-sale shuffle features 430 hand-set diamonds, solid 18 karat white and pink gold, and has an estimated value of $41,000.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Happy Labor Day from iLounge
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for August giveaway
- Apple to add 3X Retina Display support to iPhone 6?
- iPhone 6 logic board leak shows NFC, A8 chips
- Massive report reveals Apple’s PR strategies
- iWatch not shipping until 2015?
- Report: Dutch chipmaker NXP to provide iPhone 6 NFC chips
- Video Review: Parrot’s Jumping Sumo and Rolling Spider
- Apps of the Week: Hyperlapse, BioShock, Asphalt 8 1.5 + more
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today