Mix: Explosion, France Telecom, Freescale, Samsung
iPad assembler Foxconn has closed all of its workshops that handle polishing for electronic parts in the wake of an explosion at an iPad 2 production facility that killed three employees. The Wall Street Journal reports that the explosion is being linked to combustible aluminum dust, created during a polishing process for the iPad’s case. “The workshops could be back online as soon as they pass the test,” said a Foxconn spokesman, who added that the tests would take at least two days. It is unclear when the damaged facility might be able to reopen.
In an interview with AllThingsD, France Telecom CEO Stephane Richard made several comments related to Apple and the iPhone, which the company sells under its Orange brand in 15 countries. “They just created smartphones with the iPhone,” Richard said. “Everybody should be grateful to them to have put such a product in our market.” Richard described his company’s cooperation with Apple on a new smaller SIM standard as compromise meant to appease Apple’s request for smaller components without going to a software SIM solution, which Richard said would make it “very difficult for a telco or carrier to manage the customer relationship.” He also described the next iPhone as “smaller and thinner,” and said he thinks the iPad is “very well ahead of the competition in terms of tablets.”
Apple has acquired 200 patents from Freescale Semiconductor. Patently-O reports that while the reciept of the patents was not recorded until May 18, 2011, the assignment date is listed as April 11, 2011; neither it is clear whether Apple obtained full title to the patents and whether it purchased the rights or obtained them through some other type of transaction. Freescale began as a division of Motorola in 1949, but was spun-off by the company in 2003; the patents in question are said to relate to hardware for computers and wireless devices.
Samsung has been ordered to hand over five newly- or un-released products in its ongoing legal battle with Apple. Courthouse News Service reports that Judge Lucy Koh ruled that Samsung has 30 days to hand over product samples, packaging, and package inserts to the Galaxy S2, Galaxy Tab 8.9, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Infuse 4G, and Droid Charge. “Apple has demonstrated good cause for some, limited expedited discovery,” said Koh. “While Apple has not yet filed a motion for preliminary injunction, courts have found that expedited discovery may be justified to allow a plaintiff to determine whether to seek an early injunction.” Apple sued Samsung in April claiming intellectual property infringement; the company countersued Apple later that month. [via Crave]
- Details of Apple Watch’s heart monitor, limitations released
- Apple releases its 2015 Environmental Responsibility Report
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Pay coming to Canada later this year?
- Report: Apple being uncooperative with antitrust monitor
- Leaked cases may hint at ‘iPad Pro’ design details
- L.A. school district seeking restitution over failed iPad program (Updated)
- Apple partners with The Conservation Fund to protect U.S. working forests
- In-store sales of Apple Watch delayed until at least June
- Apple adds WWDC scholarships to promote diversity
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?