Mix: Find all our new iPod pics, videos, details here
There’s been a ton of new iPod and iPhone news over the past day. Here’s a quick summary of where you can find all the best information we’ve posted.
Apple introduced three new iPods, refreshed the iPod shuffle, and dropped the price of the iPhone by $200 per model, as detailed in this news story. It also announced new iPod accessories, version 7.4 of iTunes with a 99-cent ringtone creator, and a Starbucks-backed iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store for its portable devices. Apple today offered a $100 Apple Store credit to all early iPhone adopters.
The iPod classic is the sixth-generation hard disk-based iPod, preserving its predecessor’s 2.5” screen size and body footprint, but changing its face material to silver or black metal, upgrading its user interface, and offering 80GB of storage for $249 or 160GB of storage for $349. We have unboxing photos here, a First Look here, and a user interface video here.
The third-generation iPod nano adds a 2” screen with video and game playing features to its super-popular flash memory-based predecessor. A silver version is available for $149 with 4GB of storage, and five colors (red, black, silver, green, and blue) are available in $199 8GB models. We have unboxing photos here, a First Look here, and a user interface video here.
The iPod touch is Apple’s first 3.5” widescreen, multi-touch iPod. Though it preserves some of the wireless (Wi-Fi) functionality and interface of the iPhone, it strips the cell phone, built-in speakers, camera, and microphone, and Bluetooth features out, losing .2” of height, and loses several features such as e-mail and text messaging in the process. It is the first iPod with Safari web browser functionality, but does not currently support iPod games like the new iPod nano and classic models. We have a First Look here, and a user interface video here.
Apple also refreshed last year’s iPod shuffle with four new colors, preserving the original silver model and last year’s $79, 1GB pricing. We have unboxing photos here, and additional color comparisons with last year’s shuffles here.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Happy Easter weekend from iLounge!
- Follow our live coverage of today’s Apple event
- Happy Presidents’ Day from iLounge
- Happy New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day from iLounge!
- Cool tips for that new iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, or Apple TV you found under the tree
- Report: Apple developing Siri home speaker to rival Amazon’s Echo; will release Siri SDK at WWDC
- Apple’s plan to open stores in India hits a snag
- iOS Spotlight search now offers relevant results for some emoji
- Cook discusses ambitious plan to beef up Apple Watch’s health monitoring
- New leak shows dual camera exclusive to ‘iPhone 7 Plus,’ but no Smart Connector
- Apple releases first developer betas for iOS 9.3.3, tvOS 9.2.2
- More iPhone 7 leaks surface, protruding camera seen
- Apple pulls iOS 9.3.2 update for 9.7” iPad Pro due to ‘bricking’ issues
- Report: CarPlay coming to BMW vehicles later this year
- Report: One iPhone model to use a glass casing next year
- OtterBox Symmetry Series Hybrid Case for 12.9” iPad Pro
- Logitech Logi BASE Charging Stand for iPad Pro
- Twelve South TimePorter for Apple Watch
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)