Mix: Firmware, VoIP, Box, Rentals
Gear Live has reportedly received a pre-release build of iPhone firmware version 1.1.3. The new firmware features the ability to reorganize home screen icons, the ability to add web links to the home screen, home screen pagination, the ability to send SMS messages to multiple recipients, the new “Locate Me” Google Maps feature which uses cellular triangulation to provide a rough estimate of the user’s current location, and Hybrid view in Google Maps. It is unknown when/if Apple plans to release this version of the iPhone’s firmware; a video walkthrough and image gallery are also available.
The developers of the SIP VoIP application for the iPod touch have released a video of the first VoIP call made from the touch, as well as a second video with instructions on how to use the software. The SIP VoIP application for iPod touch will be released tomorrow, January 1.
A young girl received a new iPod as a holiday gift, only to find a strange note and a few books inside the box. The note read: “Reclaim your mind the from the media shackles. Read a book and resurrect yourself. To claim your capitalistic garbage go to your nearest Apple Store.” The girl’s father, who purchased the iPod, returned it to Wal-Mart, which blamed the problem on Apple, while acknowledging that something similar happened to another customer.
A new Variety report claims that Disney and Fox will be announced as partners when Apple unveils its iTunes movie rental service. In addition, the report says that the rentals are “expected to cost between $2 and $5 for a 24-hour period, with the price point ideally motivating consumers in the manner of 99¢ music downloads.”
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- NFL Now channel comes to Apple TV
- New iPhone 6 schematic leak shows protruding camera lens
- Mercedes, Volvo delay CarPlay support until 2015
- iOS 8 beta suggests 1472x828 resolution, more icons for iPhone 6 Home Screen?
- Report: Apple releases iOS 8 beta 6 to testing partners
- Sprint announces Family Share Pack data plans
- Report: 5.5” iPhone 6 to use 2915 mAh battery
- Apple to debut reversible USB Lightning cable?
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Pako — Car Chase Simulator
- FLA cites Quanta for further Apple labor problems
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- Go Design TravelCard Charger
- OtterBox Agility Tablet System for iPad Air
- SwitchEasy B’Spoke for iPad Air
- Kero Products Nomad Cable Lightning
- Juno Labs Juno Power Junojumpr
- Zagg Rugged Folio for iPad Air
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today