Mix: Foxconn + iPad 2, South Park, iOS 5 testing, NPD
Three employees of Apple assembler Foxconn have been arrested in relation to early leaks of the iPad 2’s design. DigiTimes reports that the three employees were arrested on December 26, 2010 and were charged on March 23 for violating company trade secrets; the three reportedly leaked the design to outside accessory companies in China, allowing them to begin producing cases for the iPad 2 prior to its public unveiling.
Apple was a main subject of the season 15 premiere of the animated series South Park, which aired last night. In the episode, entitled “HUMANCENTiPad,” Kyle failed to read the terms and conditions of the latest iTunes update, thus allowing Apple to track his location and subjecting himself to a human experiment meant to become Apple’s latest product. The full episode is available for viewing online at southparkstudios.com; some of the material may be objectionable to some readers.
Apple is in the process of testing iOS 5 with third-party applications, according to a new report. Citing the logs of WhereTo developer FutureTap, the new OS is being tested by both Apple and AT&T, on both the iPhone 4 and first-generation iPad. Apple is widely expected to preview iOS 5 at its Worldwide Developers Conference in June.
Momentum from the launch of the Verizon iPhone allowed Apple to gain on Android in U.S. smartphone sales for the first time since Q209, according to the latest data from NPD’s “Mobile Phone Track” service. As reprinted by MacDailyNews, Apple’s iOS accounted for 28 percent of all U.S. smartphone sales in Q1 2011, up nine percent from the prior quarter, while Android’s share of sales dropped three percentage points to 50 percent. Overall, Q1 2011 marked the first time a majority—54 percent—of new mobile handsets sold in the U.S. were smartphones.
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Pay coming to Canada later this year?
- Report: Apple being uncooperative with antitrust monitor
- Leaked cases may hint at ‘iPad Pro’ design details
- L.A. school district seeking restitution over failed iPad program (Updated)
- Apple partners with The Conservation Fund to protect U.S. working forests
- In-store sales of Apple Watch delayed until at least June
- Apple adds WWDC scholarships to promote diversity
- Samsung creates exclusive team to build Apple screens
- Ikea reveals US prices for Wireless Charging Collection
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?