Mix: Foxconn + iPad 2, South Park, iOS 5 testing, NPD
Three employees of Apple assembler Foxconn have been arrested in relation to early leaks of the iPad 2’s design. DigiTimes reports that the three employees were arrested on December 26, 2010 and were charged on March 23 for violating company trade secrets; the three reportedly leaked the design to outside accessory companies in China, allowing them to begin producing cases for the iPad 2 prior to its public unveiling.
Apple was a main subject of the season 15 premiere of the animated series South Park, which aired last night. In the episode, entitled “HUMANCENTiPad,” Kyle failed to read the terms and conditions of the latest iTunes update, thus allowing Apple to track his location and subjecting himself to a human experiment meant to become Apple’s latest product. The full episode is available for viewing online at southparkstudios.com; some of the material may be objectionable to some readers.
Apple is in the process of testing iOS 5 with third-party applications, according to a new report. Citing the logs of WhereTo developer FutureTap, the new OS is being tested by both Apple and AT&T, on both the iPhone 4 and first-generation iPad. Apple is widely expected to preview iOS 5 at its Worldwide Developers Conference in June.
Momentum from the launch of the Verizon iPhone allowed Apple to gain on Android in U.S. smartphone sales for the first time since Q209, according to the latest data from NPD’s “Mobile Phone Track” service. As reprinted by MacDailyNews, Apple’s iOS accounted for 28 percent of all U.S. smartphone sales in Q1 2011, up nine percent from the prior quarter, while Android’s share of sales dropped three percentage points to 50 percent. Overall, Q1 2011 marked the first time a majority—54 percent—of new mobile handsets sold in the U.S. were smartphones.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015