Mix: FTC on iAd, Hotel iPad, Adobe, GroovyStand
The U.S. Federal Trade Commission, in addition to looking at Apple over possible antitrust concerns regarding its decision to ban cross-platform applications from the App Store, may also be investigating the company’s iAd mobile advertising platform. The Wall Street Journal reports that the regulator has contacted both wireless advertising executives and developers to gauge whether the company’s ban on transmitting certain technical iPhone data to third parties will give it an unfair advantage in serving targeted advertising.
London hotel The Berkeley has announced that it is providing guests in select suites with a personal iPad to use for the length of their stay. According to the hotel, the iPads will be pre-load with a variety of hand-picked apps for use by the guests, including a range of games, videos, and comic books for children; rates for the selected suites begin a £1,300 per night, or roughly $1,670. [via TUAW]
Citing people familiar with the matter, Bloomberg reports that the ongoing talks between the Justice Department and the Federal Trade Commission over which body should handle the inquiry into possible antitrust issues regarding Apple were spurred by a complaint from Adobe. According to the report, Adobe claimed Apple was stifling competition by barring apps made using Flash from the App Store; neither the FTC nor the Justice Department has yet decided whether or not to open an investigation.
GroovyStand is offering a lineup of simple wooden stands for the iPad. Available in brown, natural, or black finishes, the stands are made from hard wood, finished with varnish, and can hold the iPad in either portrait or landscape orientation. GroovyStand’s wooden stands for the iPad sell for $8 in standard groove width or $10 for a wider groove width to accomodate encased iPads.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Notes from Apple’s Q4 2014 earnings call
- Apple Q4 2014: 39.3M iPhones, 12.3M iPads, 2.6M iPods, $42.1B revenue
- Apple releases Apple TV Software Update 7.0.1
- Apple releases iOS 8.1
- Apple launches iCloud Photos Beta Web Client
- Apple working to cut music subscription prices
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Store returns, begins taking iPad pre-orders
- Apple updates Pages, Numbers, Keynote for iCloud Drive
- Belkin announces QODE keyboards for iPad Air 2
- PowerSkin Pop’n 2 for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- APC M5BK + M10BK 5000/10000mAh Mobile Power Packs
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini
- IK Multimedia iRig Pads MIDI Groove Controller
- Hex Icon Wallet and Solo Wallet for iPhone 6
- SwitchEasy 0.35, LifePocket + Numbers for iPhone 6
- GE Link Connected LED Bulb + Wink Hub
- Belkin Qode Ultimate Pro Keyboard Case for iPad Air
- Uniq Aircraft Clear for iPhone 6
- STM Harbour for iPhone 6 Plus
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12