Mix: FTC on iAd, Hotel iPad, Adobe, GroovyStand
The U.S. Federal Trade Commission, in addition to looking at Apple over possible antitrust concerns regarding its decision to ban cross-platform applications from the App Store, may also be investigating the company’s iAd mobile advertising platform. The Wall Street Journal reports that the regulator has contacted both wireless advertising executives and developers to gauge whether the company’s ban on transmitting certain technical iPhone data to third parties will give it an unfair advantage in serving targeted advertising.
London hotel The Berkeley has announced that it is providing guests in select suites with a personal iPad to use for the length of their stay. According to the hotel, the iPads will be pre-load with a variety of hand-picked apps for use by the guests, including a range of games, videos, and comic books for children; rates for the selected suites begin a £1,300 per night, or roughly $1,670. [via TUAW]
Citing people familiar with the matter, Bloomberg reports that the ongoing talks between the Justice Department and the Federal Trade Commission over which body should handle the inquiry into possible antitrust issues regarding Apple were spurred by a complaint from Adobe. According to the report, Adobe claimed Apple was stifling competition by barring apps made using Flash from the App Store; neither the FTC nor the Justice Department has yet decided whether or not to open an investigation.
GroovyStand is offering a lineup of simple wooden stands for the iPad. Available in brown, natural, or black finishes, the stands are made from hard wood, finished with varnish, and can hold the iPad in either portrait or landscape orientation. GroovyStand’s wooden stands for the iPad sell for $8 in standard groove width or $10 for a wider groove width to accomodate encased iPads.
- Apple updates support article confirming Apple Watch tattoo issue
- Apple reportedly hires four more producers from BBC Radio 1
- Limited Apple Watch supplies due to faulty taptic engine?
- Twitter CEO hints at larger Spotlight integration
- Problem with iPad app grounds American Airlines flights
- Apple rejects Apple Watch apps that just tell time, requires independent approval for certain health apps
- Users with arm tattoos report problems with Apple Watch sensors
- China outpaces U.S. in iPhone sales for first time
- Notes from Apple’s Q2 2015 earnings call
- Apple Q2 2015: Record $58B revenue, 61.1M iPhones, 12.6M iPads
- Skech SkechBook for iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Yurbuds Liberty Wireless Earphones
- Apple Watch
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?