Mix: FTC on iAd, Hotel iPad, Adobe, GroovyStand
The U.S. Federal Trade Commission, in addition to looking at Apple over possible antitrust concerns regarding its decision to ban cross-platform applications from the App Store, may also be investigating the company’s iAd mobile advertising platform. The Wall Street Journal reports that the regulator has contacted both wireless advertising executives and developers to gauge whether the company’s ban on transmitting certain technical iPhone data to third parties will give it an unfair advantage in serving targeted advertising.
London hotel The Berkeley has announced that it is providing guests in select suites with a personal iPad to use for the length of their stay. According to the hotel, the iPads will be pre-load with a variety of hand-picked apps for use by the guests, including a range of games, videos, and comic books for children; rates for the selected suites begin a £1,300 per night, or roughly $1,670. [via TUAW]
Citing people familiar with the matter, Bloomberg reports that the ongoing talks between the Justice Department and the Federal Trade Commission over which body should handle the inquiry into possible antitrust issues regarding Apple were spurred by a complaint from Adobe. According to the report, Adobe claimed Apple was stifling competition by barring apps made using Flash from the App Store; neither the FTC nor the Justice Department has yet decided whether or not to open an investigation.
GroovyStand is offering a lineup of simple wooden stands for the iPad. Available in brown, natural, or black finishes, the stands are made from hard wood, finished with varnish, and can hold the iPad in either portrait or landscape orientation. GroovyStand’s wooden stands for the iPad sell for $8 in standard groove width or $10 for a wider groove width to accomodate encased iPads.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- BBC investigative report claims Apple fails to protect Chinese workers
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Tim Cook announces $20M raised for (PRODUCT)RED in internal e-mail
- Apple announces 64-bit and iOS 8 requirements for app updates
- Apple ordered to turn over records in Canadian iPhone antitrust probe
- Apple halts online sales in Russia
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
- Apple Pay cards represent 90 percent of US credit purchase volume; Samsung readying rival service
- Apps of the Week: Microsoft’s MSN apps
- TwelveSouth releases BookBook for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- STM Dux for iPhone 6
- Kenu Stance Compact Tripod for iPhone
- SwitchEasy Boombox for iPhone 6
- STM Skinny Pro for iPad Air 2
- SwitchEasy Rave for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Wrap for iPhone 6 Plus
- Dog & Bone Wetsuit for iPhone 6
- Belkin Qode Ultimate + Ultimate Pro Keyboard Cases for iPad Air 2
- Evollve Ozobot
- Skech Crystal for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Hard Rubber + Ice for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPad Air 2
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0